Sort Movies by release date?
Would love this feature, take xbmc to the next level.
I've collected some messages from this form as below for everyone's reference..
(1).XBMC doesn't support release date(or called premiere date), because no scraper could scrape it.
(2).IMDB scaper doesn't scrape the value of release date from IMDB website since XBMC doesn't support this value.

Could XBMC Team and IMDB scraper author solve this together? @@

Hi jmarshall ~

but according to olympia's response, the root cause is from XBMC none supporting....could you help to solve it?
Quote:
Quote:The scraper doesn't seem to retrieve the release date from IMDB, i can live without it, just to know if it's normal...
XBMC doesn't support/import this so no use, therefore this is not scraped.
post original link => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid=872620

(2012-04-02, 23:22)jmarshall Wrote: IIRC we store only the year in the database, not the full date. So first step would be ensuring the scrapers support it.

Even if it was scraped, XBMC probably has no facilities to expose it to skins, so yes that would be Jonathan's domain (Or another qualified dev).
Still, you can always populate the db field via an nfo file
But how would you plan to use it? For sorting? or just as part of the Media information dialog?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi sho

i don't know is it hard to add this new item into XBMC 11 database, but maybe it could join in XBMC 12, that should be the qualified dev you mentioned, right? Besides, is it possible to be an addon to modify XBMC 11 to read this to be database?

Okay, what my plan is to set the movies within 6 months in smart playlist(that would be new function), then create a HOT movies title in home movies's sub menu for this playlist, thus it would always list the movies witin 6 months, that would be great for lots of people who love premiere movies. Of course, that's based on XBMC could read this data and smart playlist supporting, or it's almost useless..i think.

(2012-05-17, 10:50)sho Wrote: Even if it was scraped, XBMC probably has no facilities to expose it to skins, so yes that would be Jonathan's domain (Or another qualified dev).
Still, you can always populate the db field via an nfo file
But how would you plan to use it? For sorting? or just as part of the Media information dialog?

Actually, after a bit of testing adding a populated <premiered> tag to an nfo has no result.
The cryptic field names of the movie table do not help, but this table indicates that there is actually no support for this field in the db.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ases#movie
Exporting the same movie again results in an empty <premiered> tag.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
no premiered tag for movies/eps scraped. they are read and wrote though.
Read and wrote but not stored.

So several things need to happen.

1. The premiered field needs to be created in the video database.
2. It needs to be scraped or at least supplied in an nfo file.
3. The field needs to be available to the GUI
4. A premiered sorting option needs to be created.
5. Skins probably need to be altered to take advantage of it.
Tongue 
Hello~ excuse me...
how to make it happen ? ....need vote ? or suggestions to XBMC Developer Team since it have to modify the database?
i really like this function.

(2012-05-19, 16:02)sho Wrote: Read and wrote but not stored.

So several things need to happen.

1. The premiered field needs to be created in the video database.
2. It needs to be scraped or at least supplied in an nfo file.
3. The field needs to be available to the GUI
4. A premiered sorting option needs to be created.
5. Skins probably need to be altered to take advantage of it.

This is within the scope of one of the XBMC GSOC projects. However there is no promise that this will happen.
Keep monitoring the progress of the XBMC codebase and cross your fingers that this will make it in 12.0
I found this thread in searching for a solution to sort newer movies by release date. The best solution I've devised is to create a smart playlist to capture movies where the year is greater than 2010. That then lists all movies released in 2011 and 2012 which I then sort by playlist in descending order.

While I can't refine the sorting option to month and year, the results are pretty accurate from cross checking the order movies appear in the list and their release dates listed in IMDB, even after being rescanned into the library. This made me wonder how this was possible if it is only looking at the year of a movie, not an entire date field.

Then I stumbled on to this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132867 and read that the new advanced settings xml prefers to look at the modified time of a file if valid and change time if it isn't, or the newer date of the mtime and ctime if you change the default setting from 1 to 2.

This then made sense to me and also explained why some movies are higher up the list than their release date indicates they should be as I delete any unnecessary subtitle and audio tracks which creates a duplicate of the original file affecting the mtime.

It also got me thinking that I can use Advanced Finder Attributes utility on Mac OS to edit a files modified or created date to match the exact release date for that movie and see whether that will maintain the integrity of the sorting.

I see the link, but i really cannot understand what he does, it seen to be very complicated, or someone can tell me if XBMC12 have included the feature of movie release date sorting.

(2012-06-21, 09:12)Kokonutcreme Wrote: I found this thread in searching for a solution to sort newer movies by release date. The best solution I've devised is to create a smart playlist to capture movies where the year is greater than 2010. That then lists all movies released in 2011 and 2012 which I then sort by playlist in descending order.

While I can't refine the sorting option to month and year, the results are pretty accurate from cross checking the order movies appear in the list and their release dates listed in IMDB, even after being rescanned into the library. This made me wonder how this was possible if it is only looking at the year of a movie, not an entire date field.

Then I stumbled on to this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132867 and read that the new advanced settings xml prefers to look at the modified time of a file if valid and change time if it isn't, or the newer date of the mtime and ctime if you change the default setting from 1 to 2.

This then made sense to me and also explained why some movies are higher up the list than their release date indicates they should be as I delete any unnecessary subtitle and audio tracks which creates a duplicate of the original file affecting the mtime.

It also got me thinking that I can use Advanced Finder Attributes utility on Mac OS to edit a files modified or created date to match the exact release date for that movie and see whether that will maintain the integrity of the sorting.

I use Ember Media Manager to create my nfo's, and it scrapes release date.
I would love to have the option of ordering my movies by it. Sorting by Year is alright, but if I have 50 movies that came out in 2011, then i have 50 movies ordered alphabetically. Would definitely prefer to see them as they came out in theaters.
Has there been any new movements on the feature to sort by movie release date?

I've recently had to move my movie files to a new drive and reinstall everything and I would really love the ability to sort my movies by release (dd/mm/yyyy) date.
+1111 for sorting by premiere/release date
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sort Movies by release date?2