Harmony delays
Livin Wrote:I suspect people have a wide range of IR receivers. From all the people using USB-UIRT I have not read of anyone having lag. So, I suspect it has to do the with 'combination' of the IR receiver being used AND the Harmony remote (though 250ms is not a lag that would be noticed)

I actually have a USB-UIRT receiver laying around. I could try that and see if there is any difference between that and the Philips MCE USB receiver I'm currently using. (I'll just have to see if there is anything I might need to do to use it on my system, running xbmc live)
The delay is probably due to the fact the universal remote doesn't correctly handle the toggle bit. The delay probably comes from the fact the receiver ignores the first code and only reads the second.
WinLIRC, the Windows port of LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control):
http://winlirc.sourceforge.net
Active development of the WinLIRC package:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winlirc/
LIRC config files for supported remote controls:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/
I've tried 3 different receivers (USB-UIRT, MCE Remote, HP MCE) and my Harmony 880 always generated lag. I couldn't deal with it after months and months of trouble shooting, so now I just don't use it for XBMC.

I use a Firefly RF remote and it is truly lag-free.

Also, 250ms it a huge unbearable delay when you're rapidly pressing the down arrow.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
jhsrennie - I really appreciate the info. I have both the HP 5188-1667 receiver and the Ortek VRC-1100 so I went ahead and ordered a Harmony One (only $99 for a refurbished unit on Logitech right now). Based on your experience I will probably just use the Ortek receiver which solves the only issue I had with the Harmony - the delays. Thanks!
I overcame this by setting my channel + and - buttons on my harmony to be page up and down.
invalid_user Wrote:jhsrennie - I really appreciate the info. I have both the HP 5188-1667 receiver and the Ortek VRC-1100 so I went ahead and ordered a Harmony One (only $99 for a refurbished unit on Logitech right now). Based on your experience I will probably just use the Ortek receiver which solves the only issue I had with the Harmony - the delays. Thanks!

With the Harmony One you can change the inter-key delay setting. I think it's something like 300ms by default, and various reports in the forum suggest it can be reduced to 100ms or even 75ms and still work fine. You could try this with the HP receiver.

I couldn't do this because on my Harmony 300 the software doesn't support changing the delay, and that's why I'm using the ORtek receiver. Having said that, I've been using my Harmony 300 with the ORtek receiver for the last week and I'm very pleased with it. The only minor aggravation is that there aren't obvious buttons to display the context menu and the Info screen (the ORtek Info button sends a right mouse click for some reason).

JR
I'm researching remotes and came across this thread. A little disappointing that there are so many issues with lag.

Can anyone confirm at least with the Harmony One it can be set up to eliminate lag using an ehome receiver?

My MediaGate IR-02 works perfectly today for XBMC but I want something that will also control TV, Receiver and Comcast.
mattchapman Wrote:I'm researching remotes and came across this thread. A little disappointing that there are so many issues with lag.

I must admit that I was surprised such a glaring flaw exists in what is otherwise a nice remote.

JR
mattchapman Wrote:I'm researching remotes and came across this thread. A little disappointing that there are so many issues with lag.

Can anyone confirm at least with the Harmony One it can be set up to eliminate lag using an ehome receiver?

My MediaGate IR-02 works perfectly today for XBMC but I want something that will also control TV, Receiver and Comcast.

I think JR proved that there are delays, no doubt. Some Harmony One exhibit more noticeable delays than others. But a lot of other users never notice the delays. So perhaps you can just buy the remote where you can return easily. See if you're comfortable using it.

Another idea is to use Harmony 700 (no touch screen). I use Harmony 700 everyday and it does not have any delay (that I can tell). And I tried to recreate the problem others have been complaining, but could not.
jhsrennie Wrote:I must admit that I was surprised such a glaring flaw exists in what is otherwise a nice remote.

JR

Yeah, it's too bad. It is a really nice remote! The only other thing is the touch screen, which some might dislike because you have to look at the remote to operate some soft buttons.
bodhi Wrote:I think JR proved that there are delays, no doubt. Some Harmony One exhibit more noticeable delays than others. But a lot of other users never notice the delays. So perhaps you can just buy the remote where you can return easily. See if you're comfortable using it.

Another idea is to use Harmony 700 (no touch screen). I use Harmony 700 everyday and it does not have any delay (that I can tell). And I tried to recreate the problem others have been complaining, but could not.

Which receiver are you using with your Harmony 700?
mattchapman Wrote:Which receiver are you using with your Harmony 700?

This Philips OEM RC6 remote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Media-...3a6a2fb311

You can also use any HP RC6 receiver. They should work fine as long as it's RC6.
bodhi Wrote:This Philips OEM RC6 remote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Media-...3a6a2fb311

You can also use any HP RC6 receiver. They should work fine as long as it's RC6.

OK, could I use my RC6 receiver that came with my MediaGate IR-02 MCE remote?

thanks
mattchapman Wrote:OK, could I use my RC6 receiver that came with my MediaGate IR-02 MCE remote?

thanks

Yes, it should work fine. The Media Gate remote is also on the list of XBMC remotes in the wiki.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem..._GP-IR02BK

Can you take a picture of your RC6 receiver's back that shows model number and post back? or copy the model number and post. It might help recording the exact model for other users' benefit.
jhsrennie Wrote:With the Harmony One you can change the inter-key delay setting. I think it's something like 300ms by default, and various reports in the forum suggest it can be reduced to 100ms or even 75ms and still work fine. You could try this with the HP receiver.

I couldn't do this because on my Harmony 300 the software doesn't support changing the delay, and that's why I'm using the ORtek receiver. Having said that, I've been using my Harmony 300 with the ORtek receiver for the last week and I'm very pleased with it. The only minor aggravation is that there aren't obvious buttons to display the context menu and the Info screen (the ORtek Info button sends a right mouse click for some reason).

JR

I have the harmony one and the delay on it is just too annoying.

Can you help me jhsrennie? Im trying to figure out from your posts what I should do. All I want is instant reaction on screen in xbmc. ive tried changing the delay & repeat settings etc. but it just doesnt feel nice to use because sometimes i press the ok button and nothing happens etc.

Can i just buy the ortek vrc 1100 (for example this onehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B003ZV3J72/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330298954&sr=8-1-fkmr1) and then all i need to do is use the receiver plugged into my windows xp pc, and setup my harmony one as the ortek remote?

am i right in thinking that will give me no lag?

If my assumption abve ar ecorrect th this receiver is everything i want. he reviews on amazon are really good too.

only one issue, this remote cannot do sms-text style input. that's a show stopper for me. but can it do sms-style text input when using the harmony remote?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony delays0