[WINDOWS] HOW-TO run uTorrent as service without WHS
I have been using XBMC for almost 6 months now and i am very happy with it.
I am using it on my very old Pentium D with 1 Gb RAM PC running on windows 7.
Since it's such an old PC, i deactivated windows 7's GUI and i run directly XBMC as a shell without using eventghost.
This, besides the fact that it makes my media center cleaner and reduces the booting time by almost 10 seconds, it kind of kills utorrent.
So, i search a lot of forums in order to find a way to run utorrent directly as a service.

Below you can find a short tutorial that describes the process i used in order to start utorrent as service and using the WebUI.

HOW-TO:

1. Install uTorrent and the WebUI (i installed it to the default directory).

2. Configure the download and webui parameters to your liking.

3. Install uTorrent as a Windows Service. We need a couple of tools to do this, I downloaded them with the Windows 2003 Resource Kit. The two files are instsrv.exe and srvany.exe (check the end of the post for download links)

4. Copy these files into the program directory you have created for uTorrent.

5. Get an admin command prompt. At the command line get into the uTorrent directory using the cd command. Then run the following command. Where uTorrent is the name of your uTorrent folder in Program Files. If you've installed this elsewhere amend the path accordingly.

6. Type:
Code:
instsrv uTorrent "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\srvany.exe"

7. Create a .reg file with notepad that contains the following (you might need to change the path if you didn't install in the defautl directory) and add it to the registry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uTorrent\Parameters]
"Application"="C:\\Program Files\\utorrent\\utorrent.exe"

8. Go to windows service, search for utorrent, set it as automatic if it's not already and start it.

9. Enjoy

Required files:
http://www.tacktech.com/download.cfm?fil...srvany.zip or http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/det...x?id=17657
Thanks for this guide. I used this to setup Headphones as a service.
You can use the Windows 2003 Resource Kit files, INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE, on newer operating systems such as Windows 7. It installs by default to the C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits folder. You can find both files under the Tools sub-folder. I copied the INSTSRV.EXE file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32. Then I put the SRVANY.EXE into each of the folders I wanted to run as a service; SABnzbd, CouchPotato, SickBeard, and Headphones. You could just put SRVANY.EXE into %SYSTEMROOT%\System32, but I like that I can see the folder I'm running under easier through Services.
I am having an issue with the applications running as a service that access a mapped drive where I have the media stored. It doesn't even appear to have read access. I tried having the services run as SYSTEM and my user, and giving explicit privileges to the share. However, it's still not working. I'm planning on trying to use a SMB share, but could use any ideas as to why it's not working in my current configuration.
Your issue with using mapped drives for this is that services can't access mapped drives... in order to map it, instead of the "net use" or menu syntax, use the mklink command. Links made this way are visible to services, other accounts, etc (they are roughly the same as nfs mounts on *nix).
There is an another way without installing srvany or editing register.

There is a 186kb program called nssm.

Link is : http://nssm.cc/download/nssm-2.16.zip

Copy suitible program to windows or somewhere else.

Run from command prompt.

"nssm.exe install uTorrent"

Locate utorrent.exe and done. It will add to services and set it to start automaticly.
Sorry but I only have experience with bash not windows cmd line. I've entered "nssm.exe install uTorrent" (w/o quotes) in my home directory and in the directory where nssm.exe is located. Both return "nssm.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". When clicking on nssm.exe in both win64 and win32 folders, a command prompt flashes quickly and disappears without me being able to read it.
You need to run command prompt "as administrator"

Then type:
nssm.exe install [uTorrent]

or at least I did and it's working.

In fact just typing:
nssm install

will open the gui.
I had placed before the utrroent as a service, however had a problem .... Whenever I logava on my windows server 2003, he opened another utorrent ... And with that the error ... twice lowered because the file .... is how to fix it ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO run uTorrent as service without WHS2