Black Bars removal
I know theres an option to change Aspect Ratio to minimise black bars but what would a reasonable % be to set?

I've just s/led X-Men First Class and the black bars are prevalent. What causes this to occur and what steps can I take to fix it? Thanks.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
buy a wider TV

EDIT: Tis a joke, good people. "how to remove black bars" "buy wider TV", joke being while technically true.. it would be absurd to buy a new TV for just that... why am I having to explain this?
xbmc has a feature that removes the black bars, but this feature doesn't work as intended for quite a few builds on the bleeding edge side Ive tried all error% none work.

Buying a wider tv is not a solution, you can also crop the movie and re-encode it.

You can also change the zoom ratio I think its the enter button when your playing movie. You can drastically reduce bar size without loosing any viewable movie areas.

thers not much that can be done about black bars, hers some factoids http://www.highdefforum.com/317521-post5.html
Ned Scott Wrote:buy a wider TV

like buy a TV for every aspect ratio that is out there?
If I did that, I could fill a 300m² appartment Rofl
X3lectric Wrote:Buying a wider tv is not a solution, you can also crop the movie and re-encode it.

You can get fixed height TVs that allow you to playback films at 2.35/2.40:1 in their intended aspect ratio without black bars. You'd need to keep a normal widescreen TV for 1.85:1 films and TV mind, but it is a solution Big Grin

I can understand people moaning about wide aspect movies back in the day of 17" 4x3 TVs, but I'm hoping it dies off now screen sizes are getting larger and pretty much everyone who runs a HTPC has a 16x9 screen.
You cant remove the black bars and keep the correct aspect ratio without loosing some off the image of both sides in simple terms two different shapes cannot fit together perfectly not unless your living in a black hole
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:You cant remove the black bars and keep the correct aspect ratio without loosing some off the image of both sides in simple terms two different shapes cannot fit together perfectly not unless your living in a black hole

thats true what >>X<< says.

pressing ok or enter will change your aspect ratios cycle through them and find a good balance.

but loosing vertical (top/bottom) bars does mean you loose horizontal (left/right) viewable area.

I read somewhere they were making a TV that doesn't suffer aspect ratio problems by always dispalying the equivalent aspect as source ratio. From this I cant remember what site though, it could also be a figment of my imagination, at this point is hard to tell.

oh I found it... Hers the TV that resolves all these problems, maybe Ned Scott can afford one, but I know I cant.

Link to superdooper Ned Scott style 21:9 Ratio By Philips and here they are now

\\Edit Oh No I want that vision instead Ned.... First 21:9 TV from Vizio is 58-inches thats bigger than my whole house.

Buy me one eh Ned...
X3lectric

Think about it for a second movies will still be shot in two aspects 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, with a 21:9 screen your 2.35:1 movies will fit perfect but 1.85:1 movies won't you will either have to have black bars at each end or lose some of the image top and bottom

You cannot have a screen that will fit both aspects how hard is it to understand two different shapes cannot fit into one shape perfectly
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks for your responses.

I've only experienced it with this blueray rips.. all my other rips d/led look good on the TV.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
If all your stuff was being shown in full screen either everything was 1.85:1 which is highly unlikely or you weren't watching 2.35:1 movies at the correct aspect ratio they where either stretched or zoomed maybe by your tv ? and this might not be possible with HD on your screen as they are already the full width ?

Out of interest are they full rips or encodes because full rips have black bars encoded into the movie and encodes don't
>>X<<' Wrote:X3lectric

Think about it for a second movies will still be shot in two aspects 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, with a 21:9 screen your 2.35:1 movies will fit perfect but 1.85:1 movies won't you will either have to have black bars at each end or lose some of the image top and bottom

You cannot have a screen that will fit both aspects how hard is it to understand two different shapes cannot fit into one shape perfectly

Yes so should Ned think about it for a few seconds, as a Team XBMC member all he's gotta say is

Ned Scott Wrote:buy a wider TV

And he has the gutz to give me a red card for spamming on this commmunity...

Priceless.

I bet I get banned by Team XBMC for this now.
Star 
I would think the solution would be obvious...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/27/digit...projector/

1080p projectors and displays are sweet, but since movie lovers are watching content in ratios closer to 2.35:1 than the 16:9 layout of tradition HD projectors and PJs and wasting precious pixels Digital Projection International's latest beamer is set up to be all about ultrawidescreen. The dVision Scope 1080p is 2560 x 1080 out of the box, no anamorphic lens necessary. its custom firmware automatically detects and resizes when the letterbox black bars to fill the 1080p field by increasing the number of horizontal pixels.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Bars removal0