Movie HDD Died, Best way to rip movies
Hi all,

My 2TB Movie HDD recently failed me with no backup Sad and while I'm waiting for the replacement I'm wondering what would be the best way to rerip my DVDs?

I originally had ripped all of my DVDs with DVDFab and did full (8BG) rips. Seeing alot of the movies I downloaded are much smaller and look better, whats the best hopefully pretty easy way to rip my DVDs and reduce size at the same time without sacrificing quality? I'm looking for a windows 7 64 bit solution here

Any thoughts anyone has or insights about how they built there digital collection are welcome!
I personally use MakeMKV to remove the audio tracks and subtitles I dont want then use Handbrake to further shrink the file size. For normal SD movies, I am getting about 1.5-2gb per movie. 1080p movies are between 7-9gb. Hope this helps.
I can vouch for MakeMKV. Incredibly easy to use and the best possible quality (since it doesn't process the streams in any way).

I use it for all my DVDs and BluRays, and wouldn't be without it!

(It's nice that it's cross-platform, too.)
Thanks for the tips, I'll give makemkv a try tonight!
Hope you've bought 2x 2tb drives! That's a lot of data to lose!!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

You should give "File Scavenger" a go when my external drive failed this let me retrieve everything just using its quick mode nothing else I tried would touch it

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
There is also a program called SpinRight (sp?) that is good for reviving bad hard drives one last time so that you can transfer your data. Might be worth a shot.
is the hdd making a ticking sound? Might try putting it in the freezer for a few hours in a zip lock bag then try to pull the data off.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
I ripped all my movies with DVD Fab, but just ripped the movie as a DVD on its own without any of the extras. This reduced the total size by a noticeable amount, as it didn't rip all the extra junk, including trailers, etc, but also has the benefit that I can then use something like Handbrake to easily compress the movie to a new, reduced file-size format if I need to.
Thanks for all the replies!!

I already RMAed the drive back to WD it was under warranty, in fact it was only a couple months old. My computer would not boot with the drive installed and WDs diagnostic disk would not recognize it. I think the board on it may have been fried? I was especially disappointed that I had to pay return shipping for a defective drive, that really added insult to injury, and lost me as a WD customer.

I am already planning on getting another 2TB drive in an external enclosure to use for backups. My HTPC has an esata port so I'll think that may work out nicely.

I've always wanted to get a NAS for my setup but the prices are so high and money is tight, I may look at something else like unraid. I don't ever want to lose 400+ movies again.
Why don't you download the movies you already own from Icefilms? This would save you a lot of time.
Mostlydave Wrote:I've always wanted to get a NAS for my setup but the prices are so high and money is tight, I may look at something else like unraid. I don't ever want to lose 400+ movies again.

Have you looked at the HP Proliant Microserver? A low powered, four bay mini server. In the costs around £240 minus a £100 cashback. A cracking bargain for £140. The cashback has been extended for another month.
http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/campaign/prolia...offer.html

I have Windows Home Server 2011 on mine (£37), but you can run FreeNAS, Linux server, etc on it for free.Runs very quietly as well!
I had a look at the Microserver when it first came out. It's big problem is that it doesn't support RAID 5, only 0 and 1, so if you want fault tolerance you lose half your disk space. I suppose you could run Unraid on it, which would make better use of the disks.

JR
Mostlydave Wrote:Thanks for all the replies!!

I already RMAed the drive back to WD it was under warranty, in fact it was only a couple months old. My computer would not boot with the drive installed and WDs diagnostic disk would not recognize it. I think the board on it may have been fried? I was especially disappointed that I had to pay return shipping for a defective drive, that really added insult to injury, and lost me as a WD customer.

I am already planning on getting another 2TB drive in an external enclosure to use for backups. My HTPC has an esata port so I'll think that may work out nicely.

I've always wanted to get a NAS for my setup but the prices are so high and money is tight, I may look at something else like unraid. I don't ever want to lose 400+ movies again.

You said the computer wouldn't boot with the drive installed, did you try it in an external caddy? Or boot the computer without it attached and then connect the drive? I've salvaged a drive that got jolted when an errant wire was earthing on the case. Just copied everything onto another drive, a dozen or so files were damaged but everything else was fine and the drive worked fine after being reformatted. Come to think of it that was a WD as well, using it for long storage now as back up for another drive and sitting in a drawer.

For my media now I'm using Samsung 2tb F4's and backing up with the same in an external caddy. They are pretty cheap and run really well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie HDD Died, Best way to rip movies0