FTP-transfer corruption
revision 1.1139 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
tue jun 28 20:52:19 2005 utc (2 days, 15 hours ago) by jmarshallnz
branch: main
changes since 1.1138: +1 -0 lines
diff to previous 1.1138

- 28-06-2005 fixed: ftp server could corrupt files on send in some (fairly rare) scenarios.

xbox-scene forums

did anyone notice anything?
myself, some days before this fix, i ftp all my xbox games to an maxtor external hdd 300, (backup disk) when i tried to burn backups of these games, the entire hdd partition was lost.
so now i have to "ntfs get data back" project, to get the most essential files out, before i have to reformate the disk.

does anyone have a bit more information on this corrupt files ftp fix?

sxe
bug only occured on the retrieved data from xbox, it had absolutely no effect on what is stored on the hdd
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(pike @ july 01 2005,15:26 Wrote:bug only occured on the retrieved data from xbox, it had absolutely no effect on what is stored on the hdd
sorry for my poor english, i didnt explain correctly. it did not happen when i tried to burn games. it had already happend. "correct" explenation: i was going to burn my games, and then i saw that the partition wasent there.

and since i had not done anything else than ftp my whole \f\games folder to my \\sxe4\i\games folder, that was on during the whole day, it was my azureus pc, that did the ftp transfer btw.
its a via mini itx ml8000 i think. it has a 800mhz cpu. a bit slow, but its working all day =)
so then i have to assume that some files from xbmc \f\games\ has done something. i also have used xbmc to transfer all games, movies and so on. and to 10 of my friends, ive convinced into getting an xbox with xbmc, so i also have some gb, of transfer behind me. never had anything like this before, and why iam asking, is because the maxtor drive is nearly new, like months, and worked like a charm until now =)

hope its a bit clearly now.

sxe
come on everyone that brought this to our attention!

could you test a build made after fix went in to see if "the issue" (errors when fetching data from xbox) is now corrected ?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

don't know if this is related as just came looking for ftp corruption and found this thread.

recently uploaded/triedto cvs 03/08 but during the transfer gftp complain that textures didnt exist.

loaded up nautilus (gnome file manager) and could clearly see texures file clicked deltete again complained file didn't exist.

moved to wsftp on xp box clicked delete again unknown error.

this implies to me that reading from the xbox is dodgy over ftp.

resolved problem by install 03.08 in seperate folder altering xml (use it as dashboard) to point at it boot new code enter files and deltee old xbmc folder including textures

i had never seen this error previously , the version running during this error was 27/07 so would have had the 'ftp fix' in it.

in truth there was a number of other files that wouldn't delete but as textures was the one i was working on its the only name i can remember the problem was totaly consistent.
it's because the file is open and you can't delete an open file. nothing to do with this thread.

that's what i thought orignaly but i have not changed the way i upgrade so unless the code has changed it's not related.

i've always been able to upgrade by copying over the old version, if any strangness happens i then delete the xbmc folder this has always worked before i assumed because the skins were cached.

when i restarted my original 27/07 it was in crash mode i.e ftp only would this still lock filesHuh

if so then upgrade for xbmc users who use it as a dashboard is no longer possible!!!!!!
didn't have the problem with an 0308 build when i replaced it with 0808 so may have just been a spurious problem *me* :nuts:
i recently encountered a problem with my sisters xbox with the ftp server. for some reason the username in the settings menu became corrupted (instead of 'xbox' it said something like '?o-?') and when trying to login you would get a 530 error (unauthorized connection) with some garbled error message. has anyone seen something similar to this? it was a 8-11 build i believe.
Sad 
what ftp-client exactly are you guys (that have problem) using on your cumputer?, (the exact version please)
i was using explorer. the problem was sometimes intermittent but kept popping up.
i seem to have problems with gftp 2.0.18
and nautilus 2.11.91

but don't have a problem with wsftp on xp
(asteron @ aug. 15 2005,14:59 Wrote:i was using explorer.  the problem was sometimes intermittent but kept popping up.
windows 9x/me/xp (you didn't say which)?, anyway the built-in ftp-client function in all windows versions are infamous for corrupting data, please try flashfxp instead
(gamester17 @ aug. 16 2005,04:19 Wrote:
(asteron @ aug. 15 2005,14:59 Wrote:i was using explorer. the problem was sometimes intermittent but kept popping up.
windows 9x/me/xp (you didn't say which)?, anyway the built-in ftp-client function in all windows versions are infamous for corrupting data, please try flashfxp instead
sorry xp sp1. i have never had a problem with explorer with my xbox but just kept getting these errors with hers. thanks for the advice.
asteron - first, please get a more recent build, just in case something was changed that might have fixed your problem.

second - if you are still getting these errors from her machine, can you try using ftp from the command line, just to see what happens? open up a command line, and then type:

> ftp <xbox ip>

then it should ask you for user name and pass, and then it should log you in. if you get that far, try doing a "ls" or "pwd" and then a "cd \f\apps" or something like that.

after trying all this, please copy the command prompt output in here so we can have a look.

also, can you go into internet explorer and pull up the help box, and then let us know your exact version of ie?

thanks.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FTP-transfer corruption0