FTP-transfer corruption
(joergen @ april 18 2005,21:30 Wrote:sorry didnt see that part :lol:

ok now i've done three runs of uploading the xbmc dir into e:/test/xbmc and first having created the sfv of it on my pc using, then read-onlying it. no errors yet and thats back and forth transfer.

tho i there arent any exactly 96kb files in there methinks. i'll create a bunch with winrar by splitting a file to exactly 96kb.
weird, maybe some files are more easily affected than others

the 96kb files fail bundles in a row
divx\ xvid files, approximately 200mb in size, fail alot less, 'though still a few of mine got damaged during transfers.
gamefiles too, big mapfiles for example.

shouldn't be isolated to just small files then.. :/
i'm really interested in this bug as i've used xbmc to backup my game collection to my computer. i haven't had any reason to test the backed up games on my computer yet though. now i'm wondering if the backups are corrupted. i'm prolly going to have to do the backups again. i'll prolly use evox as i trust that ftp server (used it for numerous xbmc updates.)

vnm wrote:
Quote:btw, i saw a post about the newest version of filezilla being 0.95 and the one that's integrated into xbmc being 0.88. is there a reason to not update xbmc's ftp? maybe it could be the solution to this problem...

is that true? can we get a filezilla update!?!?

the ftp server is a very important feature to the majority of xbmc users. i hope we can get this cleared up! (i'd rather have it cleared up correctly then have it cleared up fast!Wink

to anyone else, i recommend using an alternate ftp server (evox maybe...) for any ftp transfers. :joker:
Softmodded
XMBC enthusiast since Dec. 2004
dont sweat, untill one of us can replicate the error it can just as well be a local problem. i once used a beta realtek driver for my lan card and moved a whole bunch of files over the network and they got corrupted, noticed it too late to dig them up from the hd as i had already downloaded more that wrote over their locations on the hd.

there are so many layers of protection here, each hd has its own crc32, the network has its own.. only adding ecc ram to both ends and a raid mirror can make it more secure :p
(lostit @ april 18 2005,21:35 Wrote:i'm really interested in this bug as i've used xbmc to backup my game collection to my computer. i haven't had any reason to test the backed up games on my computer yet though. now i'm wondering if the backups are corrupted. i'm prolly going to have to do the backups again. i'll prolly use evox as i trust that ftp server (used it for numerous xbmc updates.)

vnm wrote:
Quote:btw, i saw a post about the newest version of filezilla being 0.95 and the one that's integrated into xbmc being 0.88. is there a reason to not update xbmc's ftp? maybe it could be the solution to this problem...

is that true? can we get a filezilla update!

the ftp server is a very important feature to the majority of xbmc users. i hope we can get this cleared up! (i'd rather have it cleared up correctly then have it cleared up fast!Wink

to anyone else, i recommend using an alternate ftp server (evox maybe...) for any ftp transfers. :joker:
yup, evox and avalaunch both do the job fine. Smile
doodie how about smb, do you get the same errors if you create an smb share on your pc, add full rights, and copy files from your xbox using the file manager to your pc?
(joergen @ april 18 2005,21:38 Wrote:dont sweat, untill one of us can replicate the error it can just as well be a local problem. i once used a beta realtek driver for my lan card and moved a whole bunch of files over the network and they got corrupted, noticed it too late to dig them up from the hd as i had already downloaded more that wrote over their locations on the hd.
maybe you should read the thread first, no offense, but, on the first page:

pike;
"i tested qwix with latest cvs and got a nasty error;
module : qwix.exe
type : exception
message: expecting 103 520 bytes but received 72 056 bytes for \pak\anim\gun\nemosmg.pak. this means the file wasn't completely sent by the ftp server. you must restart the process."

also, my second post on that page, detailing a friend of mine having the same problem, totally different pc, different version xbmc.

'though, i think i'll try it on another friend of mine's xbox too, he just got a new version and also has a different pc.
(joergen @ april 18 2005,21:43 Wrote:doodie how about smb, do you get the same errors if you create an smb share on your pc, add full rights, and copy files from your xbox using the file manager to your pc?
i'll give it a try now
well i'll be damned! the 96kb bug is true, 9 out of 13 files fail crc32 when their size is exactly 98304 = 96kb.

of course how often are files that size, but there is truely a bug here! a huge one.

runs:

1. 8 fail
2. 9 fail
3. 8 fail
4. 6 fail
5. 7 fail
6. 9 fail

erratic too..  Shocked

all hail doodie for discovering this mad cow bug  :bowdown:

must point out however i've now done 5 runs of upload and download the xmbc dir (1700 something files) without a single error.. so now to try multiples of 96kb or whatever 96kb is a multiple of.

ftp tests upload from pc then download from xbox = one run. each test has tens of runs of 30-200 files of the said size:

512kb ok 0 out of hundreds
384kb ok 0 out of hundreds

256kb fail 2 out of hundreds

128kb fail 1 out of tens

96kb fail 50% consistantly

64kb ok 0 out of hundreds
48kb ok 0 out of hundreds
24kb ok 0 out of hundreds

smb tests upload file of said size from xbox hd to pc smb share (path) in my files file manager. this involves a lot of entering folder on share, select all, copy, going back (b), entering folder on share, select all, copy, etc. use "arrange icons by modified" on pc to verify overwrites.

64kb ok 0 out of tens
96kb ok  0 out of tens (sweetspot size?)
256kb ok 0 out of hundreds
512kb ok 0 out of hundreds
(joergen @ april 18 2005,21:47 Wrote:well i'll be damned! the 96kb bug is true, 9 out of 13 files fail crc32 when their size is exactly 98304 = 96kb.

of course how often are files that size, but there is truely a bug here! a huge one.

runs:

1. 8 fail
2. 9 fail
3. 8 fail
4. 6 fail
5. 7 fail
6. 9 fail

erratic too.. Shocked

all hail doodie for discovering this mad cow bug :bowdown:
*looks smug*
you'll notice the error as well with other sized files, it's there alot less, like i said, but it'll show up eventually.

smb through explorer has the same effect, just tried it, also not surprising since i've tried several ftp clients before with the same effect. Smile

edit: also, in case i'm coming across as an arrogant bastard i apologise, just in an odd mood, reading my msg's back i think i kinda come off that way, it's not meant like that in any case Smile
d00diehead wrote:
Quote:smb through explorer has the same effect, just tried it, also not surprising since i've tried several ftp clients before with the same effect.

smb transfers also suffer from file transfer curruption? if that's true then that's very odd... on transfers to and from the xbox? i've done a lot of smb file streaming to my xbox. it's how i watch my video collection, and listen to my music collection. i think that transfer corruptions through smb to the xbox would be evident while watching a video or listening to music. so maybe just smb tranfers from the box to the pc are getting corrupted (on occasion)?

please correct me if you weren't saying that smb transfers also show the corruption bug.

thanks for the investigating d00diehead!
Softmodded
(lostit @ april 18 2005,22:06 Wrote:d00diehead wrote:
Quote:smb through explorer has the same effect, just tried it, also not surprising since i've tried several ftp clients before with the same effect.

smb transfers also suffer from file transfer curruption? if that's true then that's very odd... on transfers to and from the xbox? i've done a lot of smb file streaming to my xbox. it's how i watch my video collection, and listen to my music collection. i think that transfer corruptions through smb to the xbox would be evident while watching a video or listening to music. so maybe just smb tranfers from the box to the pc are getting corrupted (on occasion)?

please correct me if you weren't saying that smb transfers also show the corruption bug.

thanks for the investigating d00diehead!
*blank stare*

wow, i am a moron, i didn't use smb, i just did ftp from explorer through something i set up a few weeks ago, sorry for the confusion.
i haven't actually tried smb from xbox to pc

at the moment i'm not even sure how to do so.
smb streaming from pc to xbox yes, but vice-versa? o_o

yay, i'm a n00b again :p
okey, now how would smb transfer from the xbox to pc work as there is no smb server in xbmc.....

just becuase you are using explorer doesn't mean it's smb, explorer has a ftp client built in so you are still hittin the same bug.

*edit* unless you are doing it from xbmc filemanager and copying back to the smb share (not sure that is possible yet) *edit*

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

possibly using our filemanager, but i'm unsure
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

that's a relief d00diehead. that would have made the problem a lot bigger! doesn't the file manager in xbmc allow file transfers to a writeable smb share? i haven't tried it...

thanks for clearing that up d00diehead!

elupus wrote:
Quote:just becuase you are using explorer doesn't mean it's smb, explorer has a ftp client built in so you are still hittin the same bug.

really? :joker:
Softmodded
(lostit @ april 18 2005,22:18 Wrote:that's a relief d00diehead. that would have made the problem a lot bigger! doesn't the file manager in xbmc allow file transfers to a writeable smb share? i haven't tried it...

thanks for clearing that up d00diehead!

elupus wrote:
Quote:just becuase you are using explorer doesn't mean it's smb, explorer has a ftp client built in so you are still hittin the same bug.

really? :joker:
figured it out, trying now...

edit: transferred a bunch of files @ 96kb 2 times, no errors, since normally these things transfer wrongly by the bundles every time i think it's safe to say that the problem doesn't show up when using smb Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FTP-transfer corruption0