ATV2 Jailbreak/XBMC Question
This is my first time putting XBMC on an ATV2. However, I have built several Win 7 XBMC boxes. I have been reading all the IOS FAQs but I still have some questions.

I just bought an ATV2. It came with 4.2.2 on it. Do I jailbreak it first and save the blobs before I do everything else or do I update to the latest IOS? Or save blobs and update to latest. Or just stay on 4.2.2?

What version of XBMC should I be using?

I want to be stable and don't need to be cutting edge.
then you are out of luck ... there are only bleeding edge builds for atv2 ... no stable version available yet...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
mrfatboy Wrote:This is my first time putting XBMC on an ATV2. However, I have built several Win 7 XBMC boxes. I have been reading all the IOS FAQs but I still have some questions.

I just bought an ATV2. It came with 4.2.2 on it. Do I jailbreak it first and save the blobs before I do everything else or do I update to the latest IOS? Or save blobs and update to latest. Or just stay on 4.2.2?

What version of XBMC should I be using?

I want to be stable and don't need to be cutting edge.

Did you read the Jailbreak FAQ?
Yes I did. I got XBMC up and running a bit. It crashed when I tried to play a song or movie. The atv2 method is intriguing but it looks like it's going to be a be pain in the butt. I have been following the pandora and icefilms threads and the atv guys seem to struggle. Its for a friend and I certainly don't want to maintain it.

I just going to tell my friend to get another used Acer 3700 or similar and be done with it. It's only going to be $100 more. Plus I can Teamview into it if need be. That way all three of his xbmc boxes will be the same.

It's a cool idea though. I applaud the devs for getting it up and running.
mrfatboy Wrote:Yes I did. I got XBMC up and running a bit. It crashed when I tried to play a song or movie. The atv2 method is intriguing but it looks like it's going to be a be pain in the butt. I have been following the pandora and icefilms threads and the atv guys seem to struggle. Its for a friend and I certainly don't want to maintain it.

I just going to tell my friend to get another used Acer 3700 or similar and be done with it. It's only going to be $100 more. Plus I can Teamview into it if need be. That way all three of his xbmc boxes will be the same.

It's a cool idea though. I applaud the devs for getting it up and running.

Generally speaking, if everything's been setup ok, it's mostly maintenance free. I've set them up for a couple family members and they've been working fine.

You do need to make sure you turn off updates though. That's probably the leading cause of XBMC crashes. XBMC for iOS is still pretty new though so it'll be a while before it'll be as stable as XBMC for Windows. That being said, I can't remember the last time my atv2 crashed and it's always running a recent nightly build (i.e. bleeding edge but no crashing).

I'm a big Teamviewer fan... I end up using it to get into family computers then ssh'ing into their ATV2's. Gets me most of the way there. Remote jailbreaking is the tricky part.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 Jailbreak/XBMC Question0