Officially Maintained PVR Addons?
I was curious as to which pvr addons are officially maintained by github.com/opdenkamp? I use vdr as my backend server and would love to see future support for xvdr addon maintained. I read in this thread that dushmaniac/opdenkamp (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108701) will remove vnsi if nobody is going to maintain it. Hopfully pipelka will continue to maintain support for the new xvdr so it will make it's way into opdenkamp. In my opinion xvdr is the best functioning vdr addon to date.
Hi,

i also read the two announcements of dushmaniac regarding the switch from pipelka from vnsi to xvdr. For me it sounds like support for vdr as pvr backend for xbmc will die Shocked Obviously there is some lack of communication between the different parties... No

This would be a great pity! VDR as the best pvr backend and xbmc as the best mediacenter frontend should come together...especially because vnsi worked and works quiet well. But if there is no further development in vnsi and xvdr will not be integrated into XBMC, what will happen then? So also from my side the petition to come together again and work together on an VDR integration into XBMC.

Cheers Louis
Support for vnsi won't die. There are many users including myself who rely on this addon. We still hope that Alex will continue his work but if he refuses to do so vnsi will be maintained by someone other.
vnsi has to be maintained. if not, it'll stop working eventually, and I'll have to remove it from the tree then. not because I want to remove it, but I won't keep a non-functional add-on that isn't maintained or won't be maintained around.

now, like FernetMenta said, we hope that Alex resumes his work on vnsi, but pulling all of the vnsi code out of XBMC's tree and renaming it without saying a word to any of us , not to Team XBMC members or his users, is counterproductive and shows complete ignorance for the primary userbase over here on xbmc.org. I know that a lot of users are on vdr-portal.de. I haven't visited that site for a while, but I guess it was announced there somewhere. and if the guys over there decide they want to continue as a fork, then so be it, but don't expect support from us. I'd rather work together with the vdr/vnsi devs and not having another fork, but not like this.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
The new xvdr addon is a lot like vnsi addon so maybe it would be better just to update vnsi addon with xvdr's code. I like xvdr better because you can connect multiple xbmc frontends, vnsi addon you could only have ONE xbmc frontend.
dushmaniac Wrote:vnsi has to be maintained. if not, it'll stop working eventually, and I'll have to remove it from the tree then. not because I want to remove it, but I won't keep a non-functional add-on that isn't maintained or won't be maintained around.

now, like FernetMenta said, we hope that Alex resumes his work on vnsi, but pulling all of the vnsi code out of XBMC's tree and renaming it without saying a word to any of us , not to Team XBMC members or his users, is counterproductive and shows complete ignorance for the primary userbase over here on xbmc.org. I know that a lot of users are on vdr-portal.de. I haven't visited that site for a while, but I guess it was announced there somewhere. and if the guys over there decide they want to continue as a fork, then so be it, but don't expect support from us. I'd rather work together with the vdr/vnsi devs and not having another fork, but not like this.

The VDR community didn't know anything about the fork!
We are happy that someone continues to develop the addon/plugin but we were suprised too.

I asked him once about his fork and got this answer:
Quote:I forked my own project to get back full control. Thats all i want to say on that topic currently.
Source: https://github.com/pipelka/vdr-plugin-xvdr/pull/1

But we should wait for an answer of pipelka personally. :-)

Btw: Most of the vdr-users are fans of xbmc too, so working together is the also for us/them the preferable way. (at least IMHO...)

nice regards
Michael
I would suggest everyone is cooling down. There is nothing like "vdr-portal project going on behind your back", and pipelka is not a regular at vdr-portal either (AFAIK). I could imagine several things about xvdr, which all do not deserve being upset about.

Maybe he just wanted to try a new code-path, to try some new ideas, maybe there has been some discussions/situations, which made him upset and he did this as reaction. All this is no reason to escalate the topic like its done now.

I would suggest to lay back and wait to see what is happening. Angry

If xvdr gets better, than what vnsi is doing, it should be talked about how to get it back in mainline - not how to get it away.

All that said - i dont know what happened behind the scenes - but thats only interesting if both sides doing their comments.

To repeat it - i'm a vdr-portal regular and i'm not aware of any hidden forces against dushmaniac or xbmc pvr integration - a fork of code on github i understand as a normal thing and some more clarification might happen at a later stage. I could understand dushmaniacs reaction if there would have been some announcement from pipelka and he would be working against him - as this is not the case and he was surprised by how fast it was discovered - i dont assume bad intentions at all.

THANKS!
I really hope this can be resolved with VDR/VNSI/xvdr still being maintained in dushmaniac's PVR builds. It's fairly obvious that dushmaniac is putting a lot of work into this and I and I'm sure many others appreciate this. I'm currently still using ODK44 due to not currently being able to compile the VNSI addons/plugins.

I've tried both HTS TVHeadend and VDR and always come back to VDR. I just find it more powerful and flexible. My main problem with TVHeadend is with the lack of multiple tuner support which VDR is fantastic at. (I'm guessing the rewrite hasn't occured for this yet?)
Not sure what you are referring to with the 'lack of multiple tuner support' in TVHeadend ?
Do you mean as in multiple physical tuners or something different.. as I have two tuners (one DVB-T and one DVB-S) both running happily in TVHeadend with several of the identical channels 'merged' together.

The only thing missing for me really is Freesat EPG support... I hate having to use XMLTV Sad
I have 2 DVB-S2 tuners and in the past TVHeadend wasn't able to properly handle recording on one tuner and watching on the other. VDR on the other hand just knows which type of which tuners you have and if the first is in use it just uses the other. It was never this simple with TVHeadend.
ant_thomas Wrote:I have 2 DVB-S2 tuners and in the past TVHeadend wasn't able to properly handle recording on one tuner and watching on the other. VDR on the other hand just knows which type of which tuners you have and if the first is in use it just uses the other. It was never this simple with TVHeadend.

I have 2 dual-dvb-s2 tuners, so 4 tuners in system (separate nas machine in the basement). Tvheadend works very well - only thing you must do is - tune transponders for example on tuner0 (adapter0) and after tunning in tvheadend web interface - there is function to copy configuration to all another tunners/adapters...
So all of my 4 tunners use same transponder configuration and i am able to watch multiple programs and multiple recordings in one time.
Just few clicks...
I just tried 5simulateous recordings and 15 simulateous watching of programs (via vlc) - 20 "streams" together.
All machines is linux various versions of ubuntu.
So i dont agree with you - with tvheadend is simple maybe the same way as in vdr (with ease of tvheadend web frontend).
wocis Wrote:I have 2 dual-dvb-s2 tuners, so 4 tuners in system (separate nas machine in the basement). Tvheadend works very well - only thing you must do is - tune transponders for example on tuner0 (adapter0) and after tunning in tvheadend web interface - there is function to copy configuration to all another tunners/adapters...
So all of my 4 tunners use same transponder configuration and i am able to watch multiple programs and multiple recordings in one time.
Just few clicks...
I just tried 5simulateous recordings and 15 simulateous watching of programs (via vlc) - 20 "streams" together.
All machines is linux various versions of ubuntu.
So i dont agree with you - with tvheadend is simple maybe the same way as in vdr (with ease of tvheadend web frontend).

I'll have to give it a go again to see if it works as I want it to.
So where's the best PPA for TVHeadend these days?

The official repo or is there a repo with DushManiac's updates? (prefer not to compile right now)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Officially Maintained PVR Addons?0