"Sync display to playback" On or OFF ?
I have Adjust Display Refresh to Match Video set to on and get nice smooth 24fps playback. But the audio is no longer in sync. Is this because I have "sync display to playback" set to Off? I don't understand why this should be the case -- playing a 24fps file on a 24hz display should result in smooth playback AND perfect audio sync, shouldn't it?

edit: Nevermind, only does this with WASAPI, not Directsound. Guess it's something with my system.
For best results you can do two things, depending on how you get sound out of your machine.

If you use SPDIF your best bet is to activate Adjust Display Refresh to match video, activate Sync playback to display and use Video Clock (Drop/Dupe Audio).

If you use analog cables or HDMI cables (while not setting your amp as capable of Dolby or DTS decoding, otherwise you fall back to the previous case and need the drop/dupe audio thing) use the same options with Video Clock (Resample audio).

Drop/dupe drops or duplicates single or multiple DD or DTS audio frames to keep the sound in perfect sync with video. If your video clock it's reasonably close to its optimum, the result is inaudible. Otherwise you might get some pops sometime.

Resample audio slightly resamples audio constantly in order to keep everything synched. Again, if you are reasonably close to video clock the difference is inaudible and you never get audio artifacts.

If you want a better idea of why we need this, check this: http://reclock.free.fr/
For proper explanation, download Reclock and have a look at the readme file, where detailed info is provided.

The above settings combinations I've described lead to something very similar to what Reclock does (note that the link I've provided points to outdated versions of the code, but the explanation is good).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Sorry to bump this,but this can get confusing, what does verticle blank sync do then? and when should it be applied?
It's to prevent tearing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
Nobody likes tearing in their video, so vsync should always be on.
if file is 24fps and i set Adjust Display Refresh, why i need audio sync?
Because the fps the file plays at is usually not exactly the same as the refreshrate, if for example the refreshrate is 1/10000 higher than the fps, then every 10000 frames or about every 7 minutes one frame will be duplicated, which shows as a small jerk in the video.

The problem is even worse if the refreshrate is twice as high as the fps, because of small timing jitter in the rendering of videoframes, the video will play at a 1:3 cadence for a small period of time, instead of showing every frame exactly twice.

If you don't mind this, you can leave sync playback to display off.
When you have sync playback to display activated and watch a movie and press O.. Im concerned about what the

S (missed: X sync: X% error: X% )

I dont get it but my "missed" is just getting higher higher and higher x improves by 4 every second or something...If the missed: x is stopping it will start again whenever I pause the movie... And when I start the movie it will keep running.. But if I pause/play like a few times then suddenly missed: x will stay.. I dont get it..

And I dont even know what the numbers mean...

my syns use to be like 30% error depends 0-10% or so.. :S
If i jump in a movie error goes to 9% or something then after some seconds it reaches 0.

Can someone explain those numbers and what its counting Smile
Unfortunately I think that what's displayed in the playback stats is totally screwed up. There's no way you should be missing all those frames if the synch to playback was working as it should (and I think it does). By the way, I'm experience the same exact thing and I find it supremely annoying.

(and I do have perfectly fluid reproduction, Planet Earth's pans are killers to point out if you have unsmooth reproduction)
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It's not missing frames, it's missing vblank updates for some reason (I still don't know why, can't reproduce myself).
But, if you know when one vblank happened, and you know the refreshrate, you know when the next one should happen, if it then doesn't happen you can correct for it automatically, and the video will still be fluent.
Bobo1on1, do you think I could help somehow? Debug logs maybe. I experience it always (but video is smooth as butter).
Logs won't help here, something must be blocking, question is what and why.
Lincoln1986 Wrote:When you have sync playback to display activated and watch a movie and press O.. Im concerned about what the

S (missed: X sync: X% error: X% )

I dont get it but my "missed" is just getting higher higher and higher x improves by 4 every second or something...If the missed: x is stopping it will start again whenever I pause the movie... And when I start the movie it will keep running.. But if I pause/play like a few times then suddenly missed: x will stay.. I dont get it..

And I dont even know what the numbers mean...

my syns use to be like 30% error depends 0-10% or so.. :S
If i jump in a movie error goes to 9% or something then after some seconds it reaches 0.

Can someone explain those numbers and what its counting Smile

Mine was behaving exactly like that (very frustrating) when I had adjust refresh rate 'on' and synch playback 'on' and vsynch 'on'... I ended up setting my refresh to 60.00 and disabling all the synching (except for vsynch) and I have learned to live with it (If I want proper playback I just use my oppo 93).
Yea well, I can change it to 60fps and turn all the syncing off... I have tried that..

Then I dont see the errors ofc, but the movie dont run smoother.. I dont like running a 24p material in 60fps..

I Find it a lot smoother to be runned in 24fps, and I cant see any errors in the picture.. Thats why Im concerned whether the numbers are wrong or my eyes Tongue
I wonder about this too.

I have all of those sync and adjust settings off because when I turn on adjust refresh rate the audio is out of sync.

But, even with all of the options off I get perfect playback of everything, irrespective of the frame rate.

Is is possible that my receiver, computer or TV is doing an adjustment elsewhere that ensures everything is running at the proper frame rate? Most likely the TV I would assume (it's a good one). Or is it that these settings are in the margin anyway so I'm possibly just not seeing the difference?

i.e. should these settings make a substantial, visible difference on a typical setup? They only seem to make my config less ideal. This isn't a complaint, just wondering.
I think you misunderstood me Tongue

I have adjust display to referesh rate ON cause I think its so much smoother than having it off. But With Sync playback to display activated the picture is still smoth as hell! but the numbers tells me it awful...

Tats why I wonder whether its my eyes or the number.

According to the TV there should be an info button on the remote that displays resolution and fps.

Its big differende by running a 24fps in 60fps or in 24fps.. At least for me it is

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Sync display to playback" On or OFF ?0