[AppleTV1] How to transfer media to the built in hard drive?
Hi guys, first time poster. I searched for an answer here on the forum, and on google, and I couldn't find anything. Sorry, i hope it's not too noob.

SO, I have an APPLETV1, xbmc running fine, but I want to be able to utilize the built in hard drive. Say, for example, put every episode of a certain TV series on the built in 40 gig hard drive, so I can just carry the appletv around and have it all with me.

I have no idea how to do it. Does the ATV1 primarily only stream? I have streaming setup perfectly with it and XBMC, but I would much rather be able to have data on the HDD (it was why I chose the ATV1 over an ATV2).

I've tried ftping into it, but i get a connection refused (probably because I didn't instill binutils and ssh when I first installed XBMC).

Are there any other ways to transfer media to the ATV1?

Thanks! :o
Cyberduck or Filezilla, use SFTP (not FTP), IIRC default login/password is both "frontrow".

Although you mention you didn't install SSH? I'm pretty sure using ATV flash (the most common method of modding an ATV1) this is installed by default. You might need to turn it on in the settings (not the XBMC settings, but one of the menus that gets installed in the Frontrow interface. If SSH is on then you can just use SFTP (which is SSH file transfer).

You can also use USB drives and XBMC's File manager. You can get to the file manager in the default skin on the home screen by getting to the sub menu of System.
Just go to File Manager in XBMC.
Add source from the internal HD (root)
Create a folder (TV Shows)
and copy from the storage (on the network) to your local hard drive on your ATV1.

That worked for me to pass any files from a network share to local HD on ATV1

Good Luck!
Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up restoring and reinstalling XBMC because I used the Apple Patch Stick Creator (http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/) and not ATVFlash. I reconfigured the install to include binutils/ftp, and now I can perfectly ftp into it.

Thanks for the help! Now, I just need to figure out why after I play certain files (mp4), sound completely dies until I do a hard reset with (menu) + (-).
grendel20 Wrote:Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up restoring and reinstalling XBMC because I used the Apple Patch Stick Creator (http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/) and not ATVFlash. I reconfigured the install to include binutils/ftp, and now I can perfectly ftp into it.

Thanks for the help! Now, I just need to figure out why after I play certain files (mp4), sound completely dies until I do a hard reset with (menu) + (-).

Are you playing those MP4s in XBMC?
Ned Scott Wrote:Are you playing those MP4s in XBMC?

Yessir. I can play the mp4 file and get video, however no sound comes through, and, after that, no sound comes through the appletv until i do a hard reset
Has anyone ever run into this problem of audio not working after playing a certain file type?

Sound works fine on most older files, but when I try to play a newer xvid file, the sound cuts out, and I have to do a hard reset to get it working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] How to transfer media to the built in hard drive?0