How should I use this jumble of hard drives in my HTPC?
Hi everyone,

I have a HTPC I built recently that is currently using an old 320 GB Seagate drive as a boot disk because it's what I had laying around. Files are currently pulled over the network, but I want them to be stored in the HTPC eventually.

I now have available:

1x 500 GB Seagate 2.5" laptop drive
1x Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB
1x Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB (brand new)

The 320 GB drive seems loud to me. Which of these three should I put Windows on? I plan on having the 2 TB in there in some fashion for storage, but I'm not sure if it should also have Windows on it or if I should maybe use the laptop drive since it'll be quiet (in theory).

Case is a Silverstone ML03B. I can cram three hard drives in there, in theory, since I don't have an optical drive.
Depends what's more important to you. I would sell the 500GB and 1TB to fund an SSD. It will be quiet and very fast.
Yeah, in theory you can fit those, but in my experience, room is tight! The area under my BR Drive is PACKED with wires, I think that is one of the mounting locations, but I had trouble making heads or tails of the directions.

I put a 60G SSD drive between the PS and the DVD drive, and mounted a 500G 2.5" laptop drive behind the power button area. When I had a full size 3.5" drive, it ran really hot. Air circulation doesn't seem all that great in that case to begin with so I'm not sure I would put too many spinners in there.

Put your OS on a SSD and get a good laptop drive for storage would be my preference. All my 3.5" drive are in my file server in a big honking case with lots of case fans several rooms away. If you really need that much storage, a seperate file server or NAS type device would be where I'd steer anyone.
i agree with the SSD suggestion Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How should I use this jumble of hard drives in my HTPC?0