• 3(current)
blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd
mkohman Wrote:Also I see on your previous thread you state that in windows the speaker configuration for the ATI sound card should be set to 2.0 (stereo) instead of 5.1.. whats the reason for this? Do you think that may be the reason the sound is choppey whilst playing DTS HD MA or DD TRUE HD whilst not using DXVA2 ? Thanks
no, no...and here is why- if you're passing through audio via hdmi, it doesn't matter how many speakers you tell windows to passthrough. it'll only passthrough the audio codecs within the movie file. that is why it called "passthrough".

you need to set it to stereo because when you play a non passthrough audio format (usually 2ch stuff) stereo will stay as stereo and pass to the amp cleanly, and the other audio codecs (5.1/7.1) will be passed through with raw codecs.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:no, no...and here is why- if you're passing through audio via hdmi, it doesn't matter how many speakers you tell windows to passthrough. it'll only passthrough the audio codecs within the movie file. that is why it called "passthrough".

you need to set it to stereo because when you play a non passthrough audio format (usually 2ch stuff) stereo will stay as stereo and pass to the amp cleanly, and the other audio codecs (5.1/7.1) will be passed through with raw codecs.

Thank you for the info.. Everything is working fine now I wasn't happy with my ATI graphics card settings when DXVA2 is enabled in XBMC but after some tweaks (disable, edge enhancement, disable smooth video playback etc..) it now looks alot better. Is there a guide or settings for ATI settings which people reccomend on here? Please post if there is!
I guess the only problem I have after following your steps is that when I navigate through XBMC there is no GUI sound at all why is this? Many Thanks
Bluray thank you for suggestions. I will definitely buy one of those cheap video cards.

Is there any possibility for XBMC to naturally support those formats in future?
bluray Wrote:no, no...and here is why- if you're passing through audio via hdmi, it doesn't matter how many speakers you tell windows to passthrough. it'll only passthrough the audio codecs within the movie file. that is why it called "passthrough".

@bluray: thanks for all your help. I have followed your guide to a T and working fine .. However I have a few problems.. Please see if you can help or guide me with this:

1 - The XBMC Gui sounds "when your moving around in menu etc" are not working .. there is no sound whilst navigating through the menu?

2 - 99% of my movies are working perfect with great sound however "I am Legend" movie which is DTS is not working.. there is picture but no soundHuh The DTS logo is displayed on amp but no sound?

3 - .mp4 , and some .avi files have no sound whilst playing? and some .mp4 or avi seem to be playing at 1.5 x speed Huh

Please can you assist.. Have I installed or done something wrong.. many thanks Smile
mkohman Wrote:Thank you for the info.. Everything is working fine now I wasn't happy with my ATI graphics card settings when DXVA2 is enabled in XBMC but after some tweaks (disable, edge enhancement, disable smooth video playback etc..) it now looks alot better. Is there a guide or settings for ATI settings which people reccomend on here? Please post if there is!
I guess the only problem I have after following your steps is that when I navigate through XBMC there is no GUI sound at all why is this? Many Thanks

I would be very interested in a tutorial for ati settings as well. I am getting quite bad tearing when watching briso. All settings in ati vision are default.

One thing I. Also noticed was that if I enabled sync playback, I get very bad stuttering on briso. When disabled, it is much better. My iso's are on a USB drive.
I've been looking ati settings aswell
Songoku Wrote:Bluray thank you for suggestions. I will definitely buy one of those cheap video cards.

Is there any possibility for XBMC to naturally support those formats in future?
they are probably will natively support it, but i don't know when! for me, pre-eden work flawless. i'm careless of the release date.
mkohman Wrote:@bluray: thanks for all your help. I have followed your guide to a T and working fine .. However I have a few problems.. Please see if you can help or guide me with this:

1 - The XBMC Gui sounds "when your moving around in menu etc" are not working .. there is no sound whilst navigating through the menu?

2 - 99% of my movies are working perfect with great sound however "I am Legend" movie which is DTS is not working.. there is picture but no soundHuh The DTS logo is displayed on amp but no sound?

3 - .mp4 , and some .avi files have no sound whilst playing? and some .mp4 or avi seem to be playing at 1.5 x speed Huh

Please can you assist.. Have I installed or done something wrong.. many thanks Smile
i didn't mention this in the guide- can you make sure that you select proper hdmi audio output in your htpc control panel and configure speaker configuration to "stereo"? can you check your bd file with mediainfo to make sure that dts is in it? as far navigation sound, you can try to select different navigation sound option in xbmc.
Wow, that couldn't have been easier and it works great for. I only have one issue. You said to set speaker config at 2.0. Mine is greyed out as 7.0. I have a full 7.1 setup and that's how it was originally configured before doing this install. Other that that it works great. Passing DTS-HD MSTR audio to my Pioneer Elite AVR per the front panel display. Thanks.
Here's the setup file for the build bluray has been posting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o8p3j86oggycdr4
clubwerks Wrote:Wow, that couldn't have been easier and it works great for. I only have one issue. You said to set speaker config at 2.0. Mine is greyed out as 7.0. I have a full 7.1 setup and that's how it was originally configured before doing this install. Other that that it works great. Passing DTS-HD MSTR audio to my Pioneer Elite AVR per the front panel display. Thanks.
when you select hdmi audio output in "control panel", it shouldn't greyed out as 7.0. you should be able to manually configure speaker configuration to "stereo". do not select 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc. don't confuse between xbmc audio output with audio output in control panel!
getafix Wrote:I would be very interested in a tutorial for ati settings as well. I am getting quite bad tearing when watching briso. All settings in ati vision are default.

One thing I. Also noticed was that if I enabled sync playback, I get very bad stuttering on briso. When disabled, it is much better. My iso's are on a USB drive.
you might want to read through these info- ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide
Crap, I have it configured exactly as you show, but now my music wont play. It plays, there's just no sound.
Why would u disable smooth video playback in the ati setting a I have this enabled.

Does is make Amy difference and if so what

Cheers
bluray Wrote:when you select hdmi audio output in "control panel", it shouldn't greyed out as 7.0. you should be able to manually configure speaker configuration to "stereo". do not select 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc. don't confuse between xbmc audio output with audio output in control panel!

I appreciate in windows you configure the HDMI to stereo but in XBMC do you configure to 2.0 or 5.1? please can you assist.. many thanks..
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd7