New XBMC setup- newbie help required.
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to all of this so apologies if I dont make much sense- I've tried to find the info I need without much success on the forum but unless I'm missing something I cant find it.

I have a DNS-323 NAS, a Windows Laptop, and a Linux PC in the lounge.

I'm trying to set up XBMC on the NAS which can then be accessed by the laptop and desktop, and also controlled by an Android remote.

At the moment I have XBMC on the laptop which works pulling the media from the NAS, but obviously the laptop has to be on at present.
I think what I want to do for maximum versatility is put XBMC on the NAS so I can access it from either PC (or perhaps a Joggler at some point) without either PC being on, or am I missing something?

Any help/guidance much appreciated.

Cheers
Rich
unless your NAS is a Windows or Linux PC(with a GFX card) it is not possible to install xbmc there
and it doesn't make any sense either.
The purpose of a NAS is to serve files on the network, not to run a media center on it.
Normal usage is to put all media files on the NAS and install XBMC on all clients(HTPCs, Laptops, desktop PCs etc). Those clients then access the media files from the NAS.
wsnipex Wrote:unless your NAS is a Windows or Linux PC(with a GFX card) it is not possible to install xbmc there
and it doesn't make any sense either.
The purpose of a NAS is to serve files on the network, not to run a media center on it.
Normal usage is to put all media files on the NAS and install XBMC on all clients(HTPCs, Laptops, desktop PCs etc). Those clients then access the media files from the NAS.

Ok
Thanks
I suppose I was just trying to figure out if I can use the NAS with the android remote and thus not need to have either of the PC's on.
I do this with Squeezeplay on a Joggler and the NAS at the moment- maybe I need to play around a bit more and try and get XBMC onto another joggler.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New XBMC setup- newbie help required.0