What do I need.
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the forum but I've been a long time lurker, albeit without an account. My question, which I apologise for asking what's been asked many times before, is what sort of setup should I go for based on my needs.

I would like to;

Play avi, mkvs etc from a Networked HDD
Play music from a networked HDD
Play Blu-Ray & DVDs
Be able to browse the internet and stream flash & html5 content

Secondary needs;
Be fairly quiet
Be able to play games (console emulators, SNES, Megadrive etc not modern)
Potentially install Steam on to use the new big view and some non graphically demanding games
Small

I've looked at the many methods of attempting this and I am not really sure whats the best way. My biggest sticking point seems to be Having decent internet browsing for flash based content and being able to play Blu-Ray discs.
I don't really want to rip my Blu-Rays if I don't have to.

I'm guessing we're talking about a full blown self build.
But I am not sure what sort of level of Hardware I need and how to build it up software wise. I would be nice to be quickly turned on and be able to pick XBMC to Launch or Internet quickly?

Thanks for any help you lot can provide

My HTPCs will cover all your needs and are cheap too..
(2012-10-28, 12:12)RaggSokk3n Wrote: My HTPCs will cover all your needs and are cheap too..

Have you tried the i3-3225 with Steam Big Picture (one of the OP's needs)? How did it perform?
Only tested games but can test steam later today Smile
(2012-10-29, 07:36)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Only tested games but can test steam later today Smile

I'd appreciate that. Thanks. I am testing with i3-2120T/HD6670 but need a solution w/o dGPU too.
(2012-10-29, 07:59)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-10-29, 07:36)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Only tested games but can test steam later today Smile

I'd appreciate that. Thanks. I am testing with i3-2120T/HD6670 but need a solution w/o dGPU too.

works smoothly, ill test csConfused tomorrow to be sure...
Hi,

Thanks for the reply sorry for my delayed on.

They look good, how much did they end up setting you back in the end? Do you use a Blu-Ray Drive at all?
without bd drive you should get one for around 350$... (that does NOT include windows charges)
for me bluray is useless due to the price, ONE bd costs 40$ in my region.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do I need.0