Image caching
Is it possible to disable image caching for certain folders? I have some backdrops and every image gets cached in full size and therefore I have unnecessary duplicates of those images. Additionally it can cause slight lags during the copy operation.
pretty sure anything in the skins folder will not get cached ie: special://skin/ stuff unless you mean fanart then no
Would be nice to have such an option then or maybe a rethink on how caching should work and actually be a benefit. At the moment it's only a waste of space and performance, at least for extra fanart images.
Well I guess in the ideal world people have a couple small set top box type things for the XBMC player and store all their media and related images on a remote server (aka old xbox to pc). Thus the need to cache it all locally for speed
Yes, then it makes sense... maybe an optional setting that XBMC doesn't cache local images?
Another thing that bugs me... images not only get cached, they even get converted to .dds which causes a cpu load of 70-100% everytime I browse home. DDS conversion for those images is really unnecessary, at least on my faster machine. It's good for fanart & thumbs but anything else shouldn't be converted in my opinion.
I've missed this topic earlier - could we more specific: what kind of pictures You woudn't want to cache and how would You like to tell xbmc to not cache them (propably xml attribute in image control)?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
On several skins you can set custom backgrounds on home for movies, tv shows, music etc. and I don't want them (~2000 images) to be cached or converted as dds. I think the best (for me) would be an exclude list somewhere (maybe advancedsettings) where you can add folders with images which won't be cached or converted to dds.
`Black Wrote:Another thing that bugs me... images not only get cached, they even get converted to .dds which causes a cpu load of 70-100% everytime I browse home. DDS conversion for those images is really unnecessary, at least on my faster machine. It's good for fanart & thumbs but anything else shouldn't be converted in my opinion.

I even noticed an performance improvement when i disabled DDS images. When going from main menu to movies/tvshows for example it reduced loading time when disabled. As you can see from my specs this isn't a slow htpc.
I even got the idea from the log file that even when there where already DDS images available it was still creating them.

`Black Wrote:On several skins you can set custom backgrounds on home for movies, tv shows, music etc. and I don't want them (~2000 images) to be cached or converted as dds. I think the best (for me) would be an exclude list somewhere (maybe advancedsettings) where you can add folders with images which won't be cached or converted to dds.

Like Black mentions a cache disable option would be great. Excluding folders is a good idea or an exclude option for 'backdrop' or 'fanart'. Most of us use something like the Artwork Organizer script to pull the images that already in cache to a location to be used as background. So now they are cashed again when used.
Maybe splitting up the cashed images by catagorie like movie/tvshow and image size would a future option to go for.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yes I disabled it also now and it feels better... XBMC seems to convert every image to .dds if it's enabled. My HTPC has about the same speed as yours.
I only have this problem on windows. I have two installs on my windows test machine, one for dharma and one for eden. The eden one uses the thumbnail directory and mysql database from my linux htpc. No slowdowns whatsoever, if I use the dharma install, which uses a local sqllite database and local thumbnails directory, I experience the same slowdowns (cpu 100% due to dds conversions).
My linux test machine and htpc also never have slowdowns due to dds conversion.
`Black Wrote:XBMC seems to convert every image to .dds if it's enabled.

This I find strange seeing as it's called useddsfanart I thought it was only for fanart.
Hitcher Wrote:This I find strange seeing as it's called useddsfanart I thought it was only for fanart.
That's because that's all it did at the start then it got extended to thumbnails as well and then on too everything because it's quicker on low powered ion based systems
pieh Wrote:I've missed this topic earlier - could we more specific: what kind of pictures You woudn't want to cache and how would You like to tell xbmc to not cache them (propably xml attribute in image control)?

instead of adding an option to exclude certain folders,
it might make more sense to look into why it's causing such a high cpu usage on some systems?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
The high load is because the images get converted. If it's done, cpu load is back to normal and everything is smooth but since XBMC is converting the images only if they get displayed, it can last days or weeks until everything is converted... also there are new images to convert all the time if you use add-ons like youtube. But the main problem are big fanart images for those I would like to have an option to exclude them from being cached & converted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Image caching0