scraped movie art not used
Hi there,

I've looked around, and spent a bunch of time messing with settings. I'm have quite a few problems (which is odd because it worked before I fresh installed Windows on the machine).
I'd _really_ appreciate any help.

I'm using the 10.1 Dharma, stable download.
From the xbmc debug log:
Starting XBMC, Platform: Windows 7, 64-bit (WoW) build 7600. Built on Mar 8 2011 (Git:e9e9099, compiler 1500)
Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080 32Bit at 60Hz
Generic PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M, adapter 0.
other stuff: 8 gigs ram, on board realtek sound
PASTEBIN LOG: http://pastebin.com/rmvw0f6Y

So, the issues.

#1. In library mode, when browsing movies - the context menu 'movie information' does not work. Nothing happens. Also, when I try to use 'i' to get to the movie info as the shortcut key, nothing happens. Is this expected when in library mode? 'Movie Information' works fine via context or 'i' when not in library mode.

#2. [The main problem] I have a desktop which shares out my movies over the network. xbmc can find and read the dir. I add the source, and use the movie scraper. It does it's thing and looks up the movie information.
When in any mode (library, or file view) no movie thumbnails are used. Instead, xbmc generates it's own from the source file. It's like the scraper lookup failed.
When I go to movie information for that title, it has the art and fan art.
If I hit refresh in the movie information, it fetches the same art (or reuses local cache?).
If I choose 'get thumb' and 'get fanart', and pick the _remote_ version of the same art, it re-downloads it locally, and the art & fan art are correctly displayed! If I don't choose the remote art, it doesn't fix it. I really don't want to do this for the entire folders contents.

The folder it's reading from is layed out like so:
\\server\movies\movie1name\movie.avi
\\server\movies\movie2name\movie2.mkv
etc.

I've tried multiple different settings (recursive/non recursive etc.) for the source. No luck.

To try to narrow it down, I did the following in debug mode and then checked the log file. I didn't see anything broken, but maybe you can.
The debug log file is here: http://pastebin.com/rmvw0f6Y
What I did:
1. started xbmc
2. went into movies
3. observed that 'batman forever' didn't have any movie art (in library or list mode) [see image 1]
4. went into 'movie information' via context menu
5. observed the correct art had already been downloaded
[see image 2]
6. manually used 'get thumb' and 'get fanart', specifically choosing _remote_ art for both/
7. went back into movies in list mode and observed the correct art being used
[see image 3]

#3. Not an issue, just a question. Is there any way to force XBMC to re-read a directories contents? (thereby completely removing from library, rescanning the dir, and re-running the scraper?) I think I read something about the library storing a fasthash of a given directory for quickly checking it's contents, I guess I'd be talking about sidestepping that too.
That would certainly have been useful to me over the last few days

Much obliged for any help,
-RedCraig

p.s. feel free to mock my movie choices, but maybe after the issue is fixed :)
For the problem with wrong movie thumbs make sure that the settings on your source not has "extract thumbs" option enabled.

Then you should delete all the thumbs cahce as xbmc stores all cached thumbs
in your userdata/thumbnails folder. just delete everything under the thumbnails folder. for good measure you can also completely delete your myvideos.db file
under userdata\database

Then make a complete new libraryscan of your movie source.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Hey Boxhead,

I deleted all thumbnails, deleted myvideos.db, removed all sources (and chose remove info from library when asked).
I then added a source, set the scraper, and xbmc updated the library.
It didn't work.

Same as before, the movie has no thumbnail - except now it does not generate a thumbnail by extracting it.
Sad

Any other ideas?

Btw, why does 'movie information' not open in library mode?

Thanks.
have your tried using different movie scrapers ?
and you deleted stuff from here:
C:\Users\usermonkey\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
?

You do have a valid internet connection ? ie like weather info works ?
from your log file i only can see that it tries to get info for a batman movie
none else. Do you have more than one movie ?
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Quote:have your tried using different movie scrapers ?
no, there's only the choice of either the TVdb scraper or the MovieDB scraper. I'll figure out how to use a different one now.

Quote:and you deleted stuff from here:
C:\Users\usermonkey\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
?
You do have a valid internet connection ? ie like weather info works ?
Yes, yes and yes.

Quote:from your log file i only can see that it tries to get info for a batman movie
none else. Do you have more than one movie ?
Yes, there's 6 or so in the directory. The log snippet I posted doesn't contain a full directory scrape attempt, only my 'refresh' where I re-fetch the remote thumb/fanart and this makes the library actually use it (and display it).
to be able to give more help please post a new debug log file that is COMPLETE.
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
Sure thing.
http://pastebin.com/3yMRrRNy

I was trying to help by cutting down on the amount of logs you'd have to parse.
I deleted the thumbs and the db, removed all sources, cleaned the library, and restarted XBMC.
The log contains info is from this point on.

I added _NewMovies as a new movie source, the scraper went to work.
It fetched the proper info but as before, it's only visible when I go into 'movie information' and it's not visible when using the library.

Things have gotten worse, new symptom.
In library mode xbmc says 'the file is no longer available, would I like to remove it from the library'.If I click yes, nothing happens. it's still listed.

If I open the movie when not in library mode, it opens and plays just fine.
(The log includes an attempt
Star 
With a movie in focus... set content to 'movies' with one of the scrapers (get more scrapers from the settings>add-ons, I suggest the IMDB) then do a Information and refresh... make sure with multiple videos in each folder, that you do not use folder names for look-ups. It's starting to look like you have more than one library in different locations.. [shares out my movies over the network] and this may be the root of the issue.. I suggest setting up with only 1 XBMC and get it working right with your shares, then expand out.

http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultima...dia-center

BTW: a lot of the viewing of information in library mode is view and skin dependant. PS use settings>video>clean library frequently
I tried the IMDB scraper, no difference.
Folder names for lookups makes no difference.
No I don't have multiple libraries. Just a single movie share. I was planning on having a TV share too, but haven't added it yet for simplicities sake.

SO.
If I copy the movies directory that's shared out on the network to the machine which is running XBMC, and then I add that as a source (with the exact same settings as the share source) it works perfectly. Displays everything in the library perfectly.

Any ideas? It's a 100Mb network, over a switch.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
So does anyone have any idea why a local folder source correctly displays scraped thumbnail/fanart whereas the same movies in a remote source do not?
XBMC can read and play from the remote source just fine.
sounds to me like you have some basic network issues, a sign on that is
that xbmc suddenly suggest to remove items from the library which in turn means that xbmc cannot read the smb path and the fact that local content works fine.

Make sure you have not messed up your config, does xbmc have proper read write access to your shares ? are you using wifi ore cabled network ?
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
Quote:Make sure you have not messed up your config, does xbmc have proper read write access to your shares ? are you using wifi ore cabled network ?
It should have proper read/write access yeah (the host is win7 desktop), but I'll double check. Maybe it's some ownership/permissions thing - good call.
It's a wired network.

I appreciate the help. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Got it working.
I have a feeling it's a total /facepalm moment, but my friend did the exact same thing as me and had the same issues so perhaps not.

When adding the network location to xbmc, I added it manually (typing it in rather than browsing) like so:
\\servername\sharedirectory
or: \\servername\sharedirectory\

xbmc decided it was actually:
\\servername\sharedirectory/

and that seemed to cause the library issues.

Instead, I added the location as a samba share in xbmc by browsing to it:
smb://servername/movies/

And then choosing that as a location to add to the library.
It scanned and worked. Hooray!

I removed the location and started over, testing both methods to make sure, and the same thing happened again. The SMB source was successful while the other fails in library mode.

Other differences include:
- movie information correctly working for the SMB source items (nothing happens when clicked with the manually added source)
- movies correctly removed from the library for the SMB source (they're not removed with the manual source for some reason, even if I clean the library)

Thanks for all the help,
-RedCraig

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
scraped movie art not used0