• 150(current)
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
(2017-11-01, 16:31)MariusTh86 Wrote: @cbunn: I've had to permissions error randomly spawn up on a local drive as well, but never long enough for me to be able to test it thoroughly and determine the exact cause.

Well, if there's any debugging I can do, I'm happy to help.
(2017-10-31, 16:40)cbunn Wrote: Surely I can't be the only person to use the software in this way? If it's only designed to be used on local files, that would be a major shortcoming.

No, I manage my media on a NAS (FreeNAS).  The media, folders, images, etc. all have permissions 750 or 755, it doesn't seem to matter.  My user on FreeNAS is the owner.  ViMM works well on the NAS (except when it crashes and burns since I upgraded to High Sierra, as noted in a previous post).

As Marius suggested, if it is intermittent, it seems unlikely permissions are the problem.  But I would look into permissions in your media folder and see if problem files have different permissions than files that work.  Make sure there are no extended attributes or ACLs messing you up (do ls -le@ to see them both).

A couple of things.  I have an AFP share of the media folders that I use from the laptop (and ViMM), and it works well.  But my Kodi box hooked up to the TV (Mac mini) uses an NFS share of the media folders on FreeNAS.  The NFS share is set to read-only so it doesn't interfere with AFP.  I can't remember why I set it up this way, but it's working well.

Another thing I set up to avoid problems is that I have the same user ID (UID) on my laptop and on FreeNAS.  Both are 1001.  I honestly don't know if that helps avoid permission problems, but it might.  It is tricky to change your UID, so you might want to be convinced it's necessary before doing it.  As said, I doubt it is truly a permissions problem.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2017-11-05, 15:41)Glorious1 Wrote: No, I manage my media on a NAS (FreeNAS).  The media, folders, images, etc. all have permissions 750 or 755, it doesn't seem to matter.  My user on FreeNAS is the owner.  ViMM works well on the NAS (except when it crashes and burns since I upgraded to High Sierra, as noted in a previous post).

I'm on Sierra, haven't upgraded to High Sierra yet.

(2017-11-05, 15:41)Glorious1 Wrote: As Marius suggested, if it is intermittent, it seems unlikely permissions are the problem.  But I would look into permissions in your media folder and see if problem files have different permissions than files that work.  Make sure there are no extended attributes or ACLs messing you up (do ls -le@ to see them both).

It's not intermittent. It's just selective. So it can write some files and directories for fan art and such. The files it fails on are always the same. And when it comes to renaming the movie files or the folders, it throws that permissions error. I've checked for any extended attributes and there are none. The files are read-write-execute by everyone. So I agree that it shouldn't be a permissions problem, but I'm not sure how to debug this. I don't see any log files anywhere.

(2017-11-05, 15:41)Glorious1 Wrote: A couple of things.  I have an AFP share of the media folders that I use from the laptop (and ViMM), and it works well.  But my Kodi box hooked up to the TV (Mac mini) uses an NFS share of the media folders on FreeNAS.  The NFS share is set to read-only so it doesn't interfere with AFP.  I can't remember why I set it up this way, but it's working well.

Hmm, I'd prefer to keep everything over the same NFS shares. I set up AFP for TimeMachine a while back, but I remember it being a pain.

(2017-11-05, 15:41)Glorious1 Wrote: Another thing I set up to avoid problems is that I have the same user ID (UID) on my laptop and on FreeNAS.  Both are 1001.  I honestly don't know if that helps avoid permission problems, but it might.  It is tricky to change your UID, so you might want to be convinced it's necessary before doing it.  As said, I doubt it is truly a permissions problem.

I'm not sure how this would change anything as I have all users mapped to one using NFS. And I'd prefer to use unprivileged users for services.
Hey @MariusTh86,
I would be happy to test any beta build. I have large library of movies and tv shows so maybe I can help. Im currently using the app at least once a week, but I often have time to play around with "The Best Media Manager for Mac OS X".

Good luck!
@cbunn One way to work around the problem may be to create a new folder for each item you're having troubles with and put the video files inside it, then rescan your folders and try again.

@cikakosta Thanks! I'll see about getting a beta build uploaded once the basic scraper functions are finished.
ViMediaManager - The Best Media Manager for macOS
@MariusTh86, looking forward to it Smile
Is anyone else having a lot of problems with the app either outright crashing of just getting stuck in a non-responsive state? It seems to only be able to process a handful of movies at a time, if I am lucky.

(I am mounting my library of about 2000 movies from my Synology and trying to run ViMediaManager over them. I think I've gotten through maybe 200 in the last three days (macOS 10.13.1)
(2017-11-21, 01:02)syth Wrote: Is anyone else having a lot of problems with the app either outright crashing of just getting stuck in a non-responsive state? It seems to only be able to process a handful of movies at a time, if I am lucky.

(I am mounting my library of about 2000 movies from my Synology and trying to run ViMediaManager over them. I think I've gotten through maybe 200 in the last three days (macOS 10.13.1)
Wow, that's a lot of movies.  Yes, as I noted in a previous post, I was experiencing similar problems since upgrading to High Sierra.  I ended up writing a script to delete all the VIMM files to get back to factory fresh state.  Lately it's been better.  Not using it as heavily as you though.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2017-11-21, 02:15)Glorious1 Wrote: Wow, that's a lot of movies.  Yes, as I noted in a previous post, I was experiencing similar problems since upgrading to High Sierra.  I ended up writing a script to delete all the VIMM files to get back to factory fresh state.  Lately it's been better.  Not using it as heavily as you though. 
Thanks. I put the app on a mac mini that is still running 10.12, and will see how that goes. So far it's still scanning which is going a lot slower than on the iMac!

Update: much better, I got from "D" tp "H" movies before ViMediaManger quit with no error reported.
(2017-11-21, 02:59)syth Wrote:
(2017-11-21, 02:15)Glorious1 Wrote: Wow, that's a lot of movies.  Yes, as I noted in a previous post, I was experiencing similar problems since upgrading to High Sierra.  I ended up writing a script to delete all the VIMM files to get back to factory fresh state.  Lately it's been better.  Not using it as heavily as you though. 
Thanks. I put the app on a mac mini that is still running 10.12, and will see how that goes. So far it's still scanning which is going a lot slower than on the iMac!

Update: much better, I got from "D" tp "H" movies before ViMediaManger quit with no error reported. 
 FYI ... I've had the same problem before.  But as it's scanning, just hit Stop during the scan before it crashes.  Then hit Update Library, and hit Stop again before it crashes again.  Repeat.  I was able to scan in everything, you just have to do it in chunks for some reason.
Any luck getting the scraper to work in the new build?  Love this program, but frustrated with all of the "zero byte" downloads and lack of TV Show scrapes.  Please let me know, I'd love to help test.  Thanks!
I used to love this app, it as it not updated anylomger take a look at tiny media manager. I use that now.
Intel NUC Haswell I3
Nvidia Shield
LibreECEC
Kodi - Leia
Been using this app for a very long time. It has been my go to and is the best in my opinion. I generally keep all my movies in the same folder and not within folders, but when you have a folder that was upwards of 11,000 files in it, I feel it was causing a performance issue. Since I am in the process of redoing my media server by replacing it with a newer system (I5 vs C2D), I decided to play with my backup of media drive and completely clean and reorganize all my media. If I don't like it, I can just connect my regular media drive and have everything as I had it before.

Cleaned everything in the backup library, and have begun the process. VIMM has already placed all media in separate folders, and I am having it do a full re-scrape of everything, letting VIMM get all the posters, backdrops (which I never scraped), clear art, disc images, etc. that I typically have never used.

I have about 2500+ movies in the one media folder I am working on. Trying to see if it can get through them all. If not, I'll break the folder into sub folders of around 100 items in each and try again.

I have it running on a late 2012 Imac mini I5 with 16gb ram and running a fresh and fully updated install of Mac OS High Sierra.

So far It is chugging away at the media downloading - seems to be able to scrape a file in about a minute. Will see if it errors out at some point. hopefully not but either way, I'll work around it and just keep at it until it is done. I expect it will take a couple of days to re-scrape everything. then I get to load it up into a fresh install of Kodi, and see how it did. Usually I'll have to change a poster here or there when it is all loaded as sometimes I'll end up with a foreign one or one wont match.
v0.7a16
  • Fixed downloading of images from fanart.tv.
  • Fixed fetching images and plot summary in manual search.
  • Adjusted IMDb Scraper.

My apologies for the lateness of this release, I finally managed to find a work around, at least for the intel version, the cocoa version doesn't seem to like it a lot and crashes frequently.

Don't forget to re-enable fanart.tv under "Preferences > Services"!

With love from me to every ViMediaManager user!
Happy valentines day!
ViMediaManager - The Best Media Manager for macOS
Yay! Will download and give it a go.  :-)

BB
  • 150(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!19