[LINUX] Live TV support for dual PVR-500's in remote machine
Hello all,

I have been banging my head for the past week trying to get my two PVR-500's working as a "network encoder" with sagetv but to no avail. So that sent me on a search of replacement software to do similar things. This lead me back to my trusty old XBMC that I know and love. It is funny how no matter what I try to replace it with I keep coming back to XBMC!

A little history on my situation: The only reason I left XBMC was due to the need for live tv and "PVR" functions on my media pc. I was running windows media center on win7 64-bit but I had to burn 4GB of my 8GB of ram to get the tuners to work as they could not address anything more than that 4GB. So that lead me to sagetv and their network encoder option where I could install my tuners in a separate box with less memory and keep my E8400 C2D cpu happy with all 8GB of ram. All that only to find out it is not as simple as the manual says. So now I find out that XBMC has support for live TV!!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!!!

I really want to return my machines back to linux where they belong. But I don't want to burn the 4GB of ram in the main server either. What I need to do is be able to have my tuners in one box with a p4 1.8Ghz w/ 1GB ram and be able to access those tuners from my main media server AND my revo 1600 which will be a "client" in the master bedroom. If what I read is correct this should be easily done with the tvheadend addon and smb mounting the media storage share to my client machine. Is this correct?

Also, is there a way to get netflix streaming to work in XBMC linux client without vmware? I need an easy to use solution for the wife to use.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
I got a setup running with an Atom D525 server with Tv headend which is my Nas with a little extra. I got an analogue 150 PVR in it, which I believe is nothing less than half a 500 PVR Smile. Anyway it works great and a simple tvheadend client is built into xbmc.
You might want to use the PVR branch of xbmc which will let u record etc as well.
Netflix is not something I have ever used.
Thanks for that menno. You are correct in that the PVR-500 is basically just two tuners from the PVR-150 on one board. Analog TV is a dying breed around the US but I am riding it as long as I can with my comcast till they make the "digital jump". That is the only reason I am still rocking the PVR-500's. But to be honest... EVERYTHING supports them with the only exception being anything with more than 4GB ram. lol

Good to know that the tvheadend stuff works. Although it appears I may have to run windows on my client frontend in order to make use of netflix. That is a must for my wife and son since he has to have Barney or Caillou to go to sleep to when he is with her, when he is with me he goes to sleep watching Top Gear Wink.

I will test out the PVR branch and see if it will pass the WAF test for all in one useability. Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Live TV support for dual PVR-500's in remote machine0