Emby for Kodi
Emby user too. Couldn't be happier! You should also check out the add-on Fast Startup Sync , it DRASTICALLY reduces the server sync since it only looks for changes in the database. I had to load the beta version to get it to work though.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/t...ntry234179
(2015-09-05, 17:51)Martijn Wrote: six devs and none even reports the issues you had with JSON-RPC or maybe even try to fix them? Rather just hack around in the kodi database...

I hope to give some insight from someone who simply tested their add-on with JSON-RPC and now with DirectDB

I've followed Kodi for a long time, joined the forum about a year after following it. I've learned a lot from a lot of forums, but am not and will not become a coder and can't contribute to any technical discussion in that regard. So Xnappo started this thing up solo, which I thought was extremely cool and ambitious. Early on, I requested a variety of things and tried to mentioned places I remember seeing work that I thought may overlap.

For example I followed this from way back when http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165024 and as it followed on to this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794

When using JSON, my ivy bridge i5 gaming htpc could just about handle the experience in a friendly way. My library would take a while to build and hoping between seasons of tv shows would delay up to 3-5 seconds. Modded skins were required to achieve plots, actors, disc art, etc. A full on database build from scratch took near 10 minutes and starting up kodi after shutdown or reboot kicked this off again. The build time for any ARM or lower power AMD/Intel CPU was horrendous, especially ARM. RPi was not really usable. DirectDB changed this entirely

The other nag to a full-on Kodi library is the cobbled nature of all the artwork. Scrapers don't pull in all types, AD has to be used even when artwork is already local, AD pulls in more of the same artwork as it doesn't always recognize local art, CDartworkmanager has to be run to pull in most music artwork. All in all Kodi kicks butt at playback, but scraping a large video/music library is just not it's strong suit at the moment. As a general pet peeve, trying to use a mySQL DB for years gave a ton of update grief for virtually no gain. If you had a server running MySQL and went through an upgrade you have to export your library individually, upgrade your "hosting" instance to the new version, import your library, re-run AD and CDartworkmanager, and then pray your watched status stuck (though with trakt mostly "fixed" you don't have to worry over that as much anymore). The total time is not insignificant

Emby in and of itself fixes a lot of that, and is open source. This add-on is now usable on huge range of devices that were not up to the task previously with JSON-RPC. Updating and adding new devices running Kodi is actually fun. I have OpenELEC running at both of my brother in law's and sister's houses (three separate locations). My server transcodes to them. I was previously using Plex for that and Kodi for me, but now it's just Kodi all around with Emby at the head-end
(2015-09-07, 12:17)angelblue05 Wrote: I'd probably ask in the general section: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/f...iscussion/

Thanks - currently no server exists for the WD My Cloud series. It's apparently on the "wish list", but at the moment it's not an option.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-09-07, 22:29)Dark_Slayer Wrote: Emby in and of itself fixes a lot of that, and is open source. This add-on is now usable on huge range of devices that were not up to the task previously with JSON-RPC. Updating and adding new devices running Kodi is actually fun. I have OpenELEC running at both of my brother in law's and sister's houses (three separate locations). My server transcodes to them. I was previously using Plex for that and Kodi for me, but now it's just Kodi all around with Emby at the head-end

Hey Dark_Slayer, awesome write-up. One question for you, related to the part quoted above, how do you manage multi-site access to your Emby server in Kodi? I haven't really tried to get that working, but I would like to include it in the write-up.

Also, I've decided that instead of maintaining a how-to on the forum, I'm just going to put it in the kodi wiki. I'll probably also try to add it to the Emby wiki as well, but since I'm more of a Kodi user migrating to using Emby, Kodi is where I'm starting.
(2015-09-08, 16:39)ngergely Wrote: Hey Dark_Slayer, awesome write-up. One question for you, related to the part quoted above, how do you manage multi-site access to your Emby server in Kodi? I haven't really tried to get that working, but I would like to include it in the write-up.

Sure, first you have to have open a public port in your router. In the emby configuration area you can actually modify your public and local access addresses. They can be an IP or other. With my asus router I get a free DDNS address, and this is what I use instead of my public IP. Then you can also specify the port. I use something other than the default 8096 externally then map that back to 8086 locally in my router configuration. All possible with standard asus router software, but certainly with tomato, wrt-variants, pfsense, etc as well

The biggest caveat is probably ensuring you have UNC paths stored in your Emby configuration or path sub setup (may not matter anymore as I haven't checked in some time).

In the kodi addon, when setting up access externally, just manually type your external address and open port then save and reboot, if everything is open it should find your server and ask which user, need that users password, etc. The last checkbox will be under the playback tab of the addon, you'll want to select play from HTTP.

Hope this hasn't all changed recently, but that's how my family access for setup and nobody has called saying it's broke yet ;-)

The biggest constraint for most will be processing power and their ISP upload bandwidth. My ISP only gives a shotty 12-15 Mbps up even though I pay for 105 down. That means they all get transcoded video at low bitrate, but my server runs an i7 so it's no sweat. They also have old TVs anyway and don't care much about quality
(2015-09-08, 16:39)ngergely Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 22:29)Dark_Slayer Wrote: Emby in and of itself fixes a lot of that, and is open source. This add-on is now usable on huge range of devices that were not up to the task previously with JSON-RPC. Updating and adding new devices running Kodi is actually fun. I have OpenELEC running at both of my brother in law's and sister's houses (three separate locations). My server transcodes to them. I was previously using Plex for that and Kodi for me, but now it's just Kodi all around with Emby at the head-end

Hey Dark_Slayer, awesome write-up. One question for you, related to the part quoted above, how do you manage multi-site access to your Emby server in Kodi? I haven't really tried to get that working, but I would like to include it in the write-up.

Also, I've decided that instead of maintaining a how-to on the forum, I'm just going to put it in the kodi wiki. I'll probably also try to add it to the Emby wiki as well, but since I'm more of a Kodi user migrating to using Emby, Kodi is where I'm starting.

I don't think this should be on the kodi wiki, as the addon is violating the kodi repo terms of agreement.
(2015-09-08, 18:28)Razze Wrote:
(2015-09-08, 16:39)ngergely Wrote:

I don't think this should be on the kodi wiki, as the addon is violating the kodi repo terms of agreement.
That's no reason for no wiki page.
There are several other Addons that can't get added due to the rules but are perfectly fine for a wiki page
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
All,

I've updated the Kodi wiki to include a page about how to use Emby for Kodi:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Emby_for_Kodi

This page is about 90% done, but has a few areas that need some update.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the wiki page is there.
I am using emby and love it. I was running plex before just for remote streaming and now I use EMBY for remote and local kodi integration. Its much better than plex and as far as I have seen uses less resources. (the useage is about the same but emby is doing much more then plex did.)

It seems like more open database intergration ability would be a bonus for Kodi devs since they havent shown much interest in a server/client approach. This is not 1950. Most people have more than 1 TV. Emby really fills a void that plex couldn't quite do and kodi wont do. Setting up plex was nearly as hard as setting up a shared MYSQL database. Both of which required full time support just to keep running. Minor connection issues constantly caused data loss and errors.
Check out all my How-To's at http://KnightCinema.com
Maine, USA.
Using XBMC since Dharma 2010
Folks, lots of changes have affected my once relatively stable Kodi world of 9 various systems on different platforms (Win, Android, Linux).

* 17.1 changes the skin ( ...uugh.)
* 17.1 seems to have broken profiles and skins don't seem to convey (likely will be resolved)
* Pivos (small box media player company) seems to have abandoned my Xios DX platform, recommending Emby as a way to keep various versions of Kodi platforms in sync (16.1 will be their last)
* I currently use MySQL to sync my devices (which requires all versions to be the same to share the MySQL DB)
* The MySQL server is not coresident with a Kodi installation, but it is on my windows machine that is used as a media server that is nearly always on. It's remote, in a home office, so I don't want to have that be a Kodi install and share the Kodi DB.

So, Emby it is, for me. Nod

I have seen the Kodi.wiki on Emby, but it assumes that you would be setting up Emby in an environment that is just running XBMC, not already running MySQL

It appears to me that part of the process is that Emby needs to copy the current Kodi DB information before it "takes over" the function of the DB.

Can anyone verify if this logic is correct:

1) Export my library to individual files on my Windows NAS and overwrite the existing files to ensure that I have the latest copies there on my NAS.

2) Copy my userdata subdirectory before making any changes

3) Remove the MySQL section in AdvancedSettings, start KODI

4) Allow Kodi to rescan the media and repopulate the local database

5) Once complete, proceed with standard Emby server install,

6) Load the Emby Add-in, and follow the process to have it copy the local database to the Emby server

7) Verify that this all worked, Uninstall MySQL, load Emby Add-in on my other systems

Have I got that right? Will I lose anything in the process? Huh

Thanks for any feedback.
I'd focus on setting up EMBY first, before going through the addon within KODI.

When you're happy all your data has transferred into EMBY, then run through the Addon with one of your media clients.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Emby for Kodi1