• 11(current)
New MythTV add-on using libcmyth
Just built from Git - still getting crashes.

First one, after resetting PVR database and it was importing.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/713972/

Second one, after trying to watch a live tv channel.. (but afterwards, myth:// worked - just to confirm the backend is responding OK)
http://paste.ubuntu.com/713971/
Hi

I have been using XBMC in Windows for a while now, but have just built a new system, which I would like as a dedicated XBMC live machine.

I am a complete Linux newbie (apart from basic installs on Linux STBs, and cccam server). Is there a step by step guide anywhere which can help me get this up and running?

I have a TBS 6891 dual DVB-S2 tuner, and would like to use this to connect to my internal CCCam server.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Many thanks
Hi Diggadave.

If I read your post right - you want to turn your new system into a Home Theatre PC, containing the TV Recording and the TV Playback function - together with the rest of the XBMC bits. Right?

So - there are 2 components you need to put on this machine.
1) Mythtv-backend
2) XBMC

If you don't want to do anything other than this - it would probably be a smart move to use one of the mythtv builds and then install XBMC on it.
http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Or, just go with standard ubuntu/kubuntu and install mythtv-backend onto that.

Personally, I use Kubuntu - with Mythtv-backend installed on it - and then run XBMC in standalone mode. i.e. when you're at the login prompt, you can select "XBMC" instead of KDE Plasma for your desktop. This can be an automatic login setting.
For this, just follow the standard XBMC installation instructions, or compile from this source.

If you're a newbie - I'd suggest first getting standard XBMC working (from the ppa nightlies) - connect it to your mythtv-backend using the myth:// source.

Once that is working, then get everything in place to start compiling this branch to get the enhanced mythtv connector.

I never use the Mythtv-frontend now, only XBMC - but I do still use mythweb to schedule and manage some recordings.

Hope that helps.
stevellion: Could you try enabling "Include more debug information in the log" in the mythtv cmyth add-on configuration, restart XBMC and post a new log file when it crash (or does it just lock up?).

fiveisalive: Thanks for noticing the effect of the timezone. Does it also prevents the EPG crashes? And could you post a new crash log file with the the above option enabled.

diggadave: Dubstar made a good tutorial in post #133 and #134.
fiveisalive Wrote:OK, the EPG issue seems to be somehow related to timezone. When I switch my system time zone to UK and London/Europe timezone (i.e. GMT), then EPG seems to save/load correctly. Is it possible that there is a mismatch in the code between looking for UTC in some cases and local timezones in other cases?

Perhaps the developers are on GMT/UTC, in which case they wouldn't see these issues as much? I am in the US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time).

I have local time set to GMT and universal time is showing as GMT -1 hour. I'm in the UK and I'm still seeing the issue. Although it's sporadic - sometimes it's just peachy and then other times the epg will have the wrong show in the wrong slot, but when I click it for more info, it shows the right time for the show in the info box.... so it's getting correct show info from the backend, but screwy epg info....

I know there should be a single issue per post, but I'm also wondering if resume on playback will be implemented in the plugin or if this is a limitation of libcmyth or the pvr-branch in general (or both?)....

Jimmer
stevellion Wrote:Hi Diggadave.

If I read your post right - you want to turn your new system into a Home Theatre PC, containing the TV Recording and the TV Playback function - together with the rest of the XBMC bits. Right?

So - there are 2 components you need to put on this machine.
1) Mythtv-backend
2) XBMC

If you don't want to do anything other than this - it would probably be a smart move to use one of the mythtv builds and then install XBMC on it.
http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Or, just go with standard ubuntu/kubuntu and install mythtv-backend onto that.

Personally, I use Kubuntu - with Mythtv-backend installed on it - and then run XBMC in standalone mode. i.e. when you're at the login prompt, you can select "XBMC" instead of KDE Plasma for your desktop. This can be an automatic login setting.
For this, just follow the standard XBMC installation instructions, or compile from this source.

If you're a newbie - I'd suggest first getting standard XBMC working (from the ppa nightlies) - connect it to your mythtv-backend using the myth:// source.

Once that is working, then get everything in place to start compiling this branch to get the enhanced mythtv connector.

I never use the Mythtv-frontend now, only XBMC - but I do still use mythweb to schedule and manage some recordings.

Hope that helps.

Thanks stevellion. You got it spot on.

I will give it a whirl, and see how I get on! Smile
diggadave Wrote:I have a TBS 6891 dual DVB-S2 tuner, and would like to use this to connect to my internal CCCam server.

Many thanks

My friend has this tuner and i had to compile the drivers for him.

If the drivers aren't in the kernel you should be able to follow this guide:

http://blog.mohammadzadeh.info/index.php...p-guide-to

If you have any problems I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

i also agree with stevellion. Install ubuntu first and add MythTV and XBMC on top.

if your able to follow my tutorials:

XBMC - cMyth: Link

MythTV: Link

I would appreciate any feedback and improvements to the Tutorials.

Do be afraid to experiment, TVheadend is very good and well supported in XBMC, VDR is also powerful although can be a pain to set up, although i have made a quick video to cover some of the basics here: XBMC VDR

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you need either in the forum or PM someone.

Welcome to XBMC!!

Dubstar_04
All Things PVR
fiveisalive Wrote:dubstar: are you (or anybody else on this thread) on IRC at all?

I've not used IRC for a while but i could do if you wanted?
All Things PVR
fiveisalive Wrote:Thanks! Unfortunately it didn't fix the loss of EPG data issue. I can reliably reproduce it doing this:

1. go to "EPG options" in "Live TV". Set the values to: "15 minutes" for update and just choose "1 day" for the amount of data. Then click "Reset database".

2. EPG is populated as expected. I see information in the channel selector and timeline etc.

3. Exit XBMC and restart XBMC.

4. All EPG channel information is gone

I followed your directions video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7IBVZ7FgP8
All Things PVR
I don't know if this is the right place for this question but...
Does anyone knows if the "pause"+"forward/backward" options on livetv will work in the near future?
I really prefer this unified frontend and this addon is great, apart from that.
The ability to pause livetv is pretty important pvr function.
thank you again for your work.
orduek Wrote:I don't know if this is the right place for this question but...
Does anyone knows if the "pause"+"forward/backward" options on livetv will work in the near future?
I really prefer this unified frontend and this addon is great, apart from that.
The ability to pause livetv is pretty important pvr function.
thank you again for your work.

I am also missing this feature. From what i have read i believe it is a feature missing from the confluence skin.

Maybe someone could test other skins and find out?
All Things PVR
dubstar_04 Wrote:I followed your directions video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7IBVZ7FgP8

Thanks. It looks like you are in the GMT timezone. I noticed that I don't get the loss of EPG if I switch to using UK/London system timezone (because it at or very close to UTC which all EPG in the add-on is stored in). So could you try to reproduce using a modified procedure:

1. go to Appearance / International settings
  2. switch to using timezone region: United States and timezone: America/New_York (i.e East Coast US time)
  3. go to "EPG options" in "Live TV". Set the values to: "15 minutes" for update and just choose "1 day" for the amount of data. Then click "Reset database".
  4. EPG is populated as expected. I see information in the channel selector and timeline etc.
  5. Exit XBMC and restart XBMC.

Of course this might only happen for me because the data in my MythTV backend is also in the the US EST timezone from SchedulesDirect. Not sure how you could control for that.
Jimmer Wrote:I have local time set to GMT and universal time is showing as GMT -1 hour. I'm in the UK and I'm still seeing the issue. Although it's sporadic - sometimes it's just peachy and then other times the epg will have the wrong show in the wrong slot, but when I click it for more info, it shows the right time for the show in the info box.... so it's getting correct show info from the backend, but screwy epg info....

Thanks for looking into it. When you say "the issue", is this complete invisibility of EPG data (because looking at the Epg5.db in sqlite, the guide data events in the "epgtags" table are still there, just not being displayed). Or is just things being "off" by 1 hour or so in the EPG display as has also been reported here by others (perhaps because of the difference between daylight saving time versus UTC?)
dubstar_04 Wrote:I am also missing this feature. From what i have read i believe it is a feature missing from the confluence skin.

Maybe someone could test other skins and find out?

I tried it with Trancperacy! and they have an pause option that works (but not through the remote, only throgh the menu).
forward/backwards - doesn't work there.
orduek Wrote:I tried it with Trancperacy! and they have an pause option that works (but not through the remote, only throgh the menu).
forward/backwards - doesn't work there.

Cool!!

I read somewhere that Aeon works too.

Maybe some could pm Jezz_X and see if he can help us with getting this enabled in confluence?
All Things PVR
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New MythTV add-on using libcmyth8