[LIVE] Newbie issues with 'Live' on an ASUS motherboard.
Sad 
Hello the forum,

I am a complete newbie to most things technical.

Loved the look of XBMC Live and decided to buy a machine to get it done. Unfortunately I did know about the issues between ASUS motherboards and Ubuntu before doing so.

I have had a look at the thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 which states what to include in post and include the information I can find below.

My HTPC only contains the following items -
Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400/8MB SATA 2.5in HDD
2GB DDR3 1333 ULP DIMM for DDR3 Mini-ITX Boards
Black Noah 3988 Mini-ITX Case & PCI Riser & SATA Power
Asus E35M1-I Deluxe AMD Fusion Mini-ITX Board -
The motherboard manual states the CPU is a Integrated Dual-Core AMD Zacate 18W processor. Chipset AMD Hudson M1. Graphics Integrated AMD Zacate.
I am using a bluetooth keyboard most of the time but the same issues occur if I use a wired one instead.

I downloaded and installed an ISO image of XBMCLive on the 20th Sept 2011 which I believe to be 'Dharma' based on Ubuntu 10.04.2.

The result of the command uname -m was i686

My latest log file can be found at http://pastebin.com/BZJJnDfT with a title of BunglesmateHTPC_110924_1730BST.

My problem appears to something to do with the graphics drivers but do not want to assume anything. When I interact with the XBMC it is extremely slow. This includes changing menus, scrolling through titles and playing videos.

I initially thought it might be a network problem. The current HTPC is connected via a wired LAN, but the same files play okay on a netbook running windows XP home edition over wireless.

What I have read so far seems to suggest that the only way out of my predicament is to buy a licence for Windows7. As this costs an additional £70 I'd like to try all other avenues first.

A number of threads talked about doing driver upgrades but I'm afraid the procedures looked a little too technical for me and included variables (machines, OS etc) which might not help with my system.

Are there any threads/wiki articles which can show a complete numpty like myself a step by step procedure for getting my issue resolved. It would be good if this didn't include any assumptions above powering the machine on. BTW I got into this by somebody who I work with but lives at the other end of the country.

Apologies if I have missed anything off.

Share & Enjoy.

Zippy.
It would appear that my issue is going nowhere at the moment. I will try and resolve the issue by installing Windows7 this weekend.

I will post the results of this test to let others know.
If you haven't already, try installing Ubuntu 11.04 and then install xbmc on Ubuntu.
Bizz,

Thanks for some advice.

As posted earlier I am not that good with technical type stuff but I will give it a go this week.

Downloading Ubuntu today.

Share & Enjoy.

Zippy.
Big Grin 
I now have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on my HTPC.

This went remarkably simply. I downloaded the iso file from http://www.ubuntu.com/download.

In Windows7 I then burnt it to a CD using right click option rather than using a normal data cd burning app.

A friend has hinted that I may not have selected the right options when installing Ubuntu. Not sure about that.

My issue is now navigating around Ubuntu to get the Linux version of XBMC running. Will keep plugging away at it.

Share & Enjoy.

Zippy.
Still trying to get XBMC to work with Ubuntu 11.04.

I have been to the following url

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

I am trying to follow the commands at the start of the page. I am copying/pasting the commands from the web page to the Ubuntu terminal window to reduce the chance of errors.

Quote:sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
sudo apt-get update

At the install standalone step I get the following messages

Quote:Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xbmc
E: Unable to locate package xbmc-standalone

This seems fairly terminal to me if the standalone cannot be found.

Does anybody have any further ideas about how this installation is going?

Should I create a new thread due to new issue, even though it stems from the original issue?

Share & Enjoy.

Zippy.Confused

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Newbie issues with 'Live' on an ASUS motherboard.0