Does the Asus E35m1-i deluxe work with Ubuntu?
Hi,

im thinking on doing a fresh install on my HTPC system and wanted to know if this will work with Linux/Ubuntu 11.04 as their is no drivers available from the asus website.

The main thing im worried about is the onboard bluetooth as i have a Logitect DiNovo mini bluetooth keyboard?

if so does anyone have the drivers pack for it? or can point me to the right direction.

guide on installing XMBC on it?

PS: I am using a Zotac Nvidia GT430 graphics card and not the onboard one.

a5ian300zx
I am curious as to how your set up is working. I also have a E35-1-Deluxe and the last four months of my life with this board have me contemplating suicide. Just kidding however the headaches are non stop. When I reached pinnacle frustration I sent Asus a tech help ticket asking them if I could use a GT430 card and they told me it would not work for my application for two reasons. One being my power supply was too small on my OrigenAE M10 case. The other reason they gave me was that the expansion slot would run at 2x mode, even if I did have a big enough power supply and the configuration would not work for my application.

How are your results.

Linux and ATI E-350 is still a problem waiting to happen. If you have a high fit and finish requirement stay away. If you can deal with lockups, files not playing correctly and various other quirks then feel free.

quotaholic
A F'n Roku, cant wait to build a ryzen.
a5ian300zx Wrote:PS: I am using a Zotac Nvidia GT430 graphics card and not the onboard one.

dont understand why anyone buys a Fusion system and put in a different graphic card? makes not much sense to me
greetings, Stephan

My reason for looking in to it was that XBMC does not support the platform. ATI support on linux is currently, in my opinion, unusable. Even with OpenELEC, who has been trying to make a stable platform for Fusion devices for months now, there were too many quirks to deal with. From FLAC files playing at a fraction of normal speed to AAC based tracks generating audio device errors. After spending that much on an unusable board the prospect of only forking out 60 some dollars on a potential fix had a lot of lustre. If XBMC supported the chipset and produced a favorable result this thread would not exist. Sadly ATI does not support linux worth a dam so the issues lie with ATI and not XBMC developers. Its a perfectly legitimate and sensible reason for exploring any viable solution to cure a serious headache.
sraue Wrote:dont understand why anyone buys a Fusion system and put in a different graphic card? makes not much sense to me

I was having playback issue hence i bought the GT430 but i realised the issue was not with graphics card but no sound device options ( i had not connected it via hdmi until i configured which was connected via DVi with onboard sound disabled)

a5ian300zx
quotaholic Wrote:I am curious as to how your set up is working. I also have a E35-1-Deluxe and the last four months of my life with this board have me contemplating suicide. Just kidding however the headaches are non stop. When I reached pinnacle frustration I sent Asus a tech help ticket asking them if I could use a GT430 card and they told me it would not work for my application for two reasons. One being my power supply was too small on my OrigenAE M10 case. The other reason they gave me was that the expansion slot would run at 2x mode, even if I did have a big enough power supply and the configuration would not work for my application.

How are your results.

Linux and ATI E-350 is still a problem waiting to happen. If you have a high fit and finish requirement stay away. If you can deal with lockups, files not playing correctly and various other quirks then feel free.

quotaholic

Hi,

I have custom build with 460w psu, and card works perfect the only thing is the pci port actually runs a 4x not 2x so you will loose some performance but still more than enough for HTPC.

another reason i bought this card was that i have the option to move to linux with better supported nvidia drivers.

not sure how it will support the rest of the amd drivers?

Parts List
case: Lian Li PC-Q08B (case) + additional sound proofing and replacement fans
Motherboard: Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR3 ECO Series PC3-10666 1.35v
PSU: Seasonsonic X460 (fanless psu and fully modular)
Scan.co.uk: Seasonic SS-460FL 460W Fanless Power Supply (PSU)
HDD: Samsung 2TB
OS HDD: Crucial 64gb SSD
Remote: Themaltake Media Lab VFD Panel A2328

a5ian300zx
Thats great news that you are running at 4x on the card slot. Wish I had a better power supply on my case. I would do the same things.

I cant see why Ubuntu would not work. I would get in to the bios and make sure the gpu settings were set away from internal vga and to external card and install away. You should see faster boot times with the ssd. When I tried ubuntu I did the initial reboot and had no display however with the bios set to activate the nvidia card instead of the problematic ATI embedded chip I cant see this happening to you as well. If it does one can ssh in to the box and run an update and nvidia driver install if needed. I may build upon XBMC live if it was me as the noveau driver is default in most mainline distributions these days opposed to the nvidia driver.

quotaholic

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does the Asus E35m1-i deluxe work with Ubuntu?0