ISO vs AVI - what do you prefer for XBMC
mwkurt Wrote:I have to ask since most of my stuff is in avi format and not knowing very much about h264....

with everything being equal...given an XVID movie of 800MB. How many MB's would the h264 have to be to get an equal quality?

Thanks,
Mark

H264 is significantly better than MPEG-4 II.

There is no point in trying to put a number on it, there is too many variables and it is not a linear relationship. Suffice to say at low bitrates it looks much better, simple as that.
taalas Wrote:I am afraid that is a little hard to answer and depends very much on your definition of quality.

You can't give me a rough estimate? Have you ever seen a 800MB Xvid file of a movie with a length of say 100 minutes? That is the quality I am looking to duplicate.

Thanks,
Mark
voochi Wrote:H264 is significantly better than MPEG-4 II.

There is no point in trying to put a number on it, there is too many variables and it is not a linear relationship. Suffice to say at low bitrates it looks much better, simple as that.

I would second this. What you basically are looking at is an increase in computational requirements (to encode AND decode) which shouldn't pose problems on current system but produces better results at identical bitrates.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ISO vs AVI - what do you prefer for XBMC0