General Network Question
This is probably going to be a stupid questions but I am curious, I can stream HD movies from Netflix with no problems whatsoever on WiFi, but I can't stream them from my own SMB shares without stuttering, I don't seem to understand how this works and why I can get movies from them in HD from outside my home but not within. What I am missing? Can I run silverlight on my home network?
for starters what wireless equipment do you use? b/g? n? 2.5/5.8ghz?

streaming HD over a b/g connection is a no no... just not the throughput to keep up, you need an N router and N wireless adapter, i'm in the UK so can't use netflix... but my guess is that the netflix stream isn't more than 5mbps (same as bbc iplayers "HD" stream)
Its b/g, and I'm currently using ethernet to stream everything but my wife doesn't like the cat5 running everywhere lol.
I'd look into powerline ethernet.
It's their compression and determination of how to stream it to you.

If you watch a movie off netflix - it determines your bandwidth prior to streaming the movie. Then it streams the best copy of the movie to you.
*If there is a "network hiccup", you get a buffering message and a message about determining connection speed....something like that

At home, you have 1 copy of the movie that can come across, PERIOD. You get your choppy movie from lack of bandwidth.

There are other variables but this is the "30,000 ft view" of the situation
network streaming bd 1080p file using wireless is not recommended it. you might have better luck with these- D-LINK DHP-540 POWERLINE AV 500 4-PORT GIGABIT SWITCH or TRENDnet 500 Mbps Powerline
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Netflix HD is heavily compressed and I believe they're still all 2 channel audio. I've heard you really only need a 6Mbps connection for a Netflix HD connection. It's considerably less than streaming a Blu-ray with HD surround audio.
Intel G620 2.6Ghz | 4GB DDR3 | ASRock H61M-GE | ASUS ENGT430 | 30GB Kingston SNV125-S2 SSD | 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003 HDD | Lite-On IHOS104-06 Blu-ray Drive | LIANLI PC-C39 Case | Antec EA-380D PSU | WIN7 HOME Prem 64bit | Dharma 10.1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General Network Question0