• 37(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
For those who got the Inteset CIR, can anyone test whether or not it can receive IR signal by bouncing IR off opposite walls? IE: point the remote away from the sensor and still have it catch the signal off the wall.
Theater: The PS4/XBONE killer running Kodi 17.3 3D Movie Box: Raspberry Pi running LibreElec 8.0 Alpha BROKEN Family Room: "A6-Pack" running Kodi 17.3 Whole House: FireTV running Kodi 17.3
Yep. Mine catches a bounced IR signal with no problems.
edit
Does the power button on the asrock remote just turn on the pc? Or does it turn off the pc as well?
Annoyingly, it suspends the PC instead of powering it off. I switched to the Inteset CIR which does the same thing so it appears to be a motherboard feature and not related to the remotes?

Personally, I just use the shutdown option in XBMC for shutting down my system so it's not a big deal anyways.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Hey All,

Question, Im building on building a XBMC machine, i was going to install the Antec Veris Elite, but it seems to be disconinuted, the Preimier is too big for my case. Does anyone know of anything that looks just like the elite and fits in 1 CD rom slot and that is compatible with XBMC and will allow for power on/off with the remote?

thanks
imon VFD can do it. But I must say the remote control is crap. The only button that works perfectly is the power button. Use a harmony remote instead.
Hi,

Thought I would let you know my experience with the remote problem, I use Windows 7 as my OS, start from S5 and log strait into XBMC at start up (shortcut in start up), I shut down XBMC using the remote and go into W7 then I shut down with the remote off button to S5.

I have an ASRock A75 Pro4-M mobo. I got the Inteset CIR sent to me in the UK as this looked like the best option.

Note: they now sell one with a specific cable for ASRock boards, no re pin needed. I had to re pin mine as I got it before these were available, another note: if you have a repined one i did not need the orange wire connected, it messed my shut down up and the fans would not shut off with this wire connected.

I have a Harmony 895. I have set it up to switch on my TV, AMP and HTPC by pushing 1 button and to turn them off pushing 1 button. I have loaded 2 devices to the remote for the HTPC, a Microsoft MCE Keyboard and a Microcsoft Windows Media Center SE. I then set up the keys on the remote as I wanted them. I only use the Microcsoft Windows Media Center SE to switch on, off, for moving the mouse pointer and mouse button clicks, I use the MCE Keyboard for everything else.

In the Microcsoft Windows Media Center SE you need to program the remote to use a different button for switch on and switch off, use the PWR Toggle to switch on. Set up a shortcut on your desktop to shutdown W7 by using [Shutdown.exe -s -t 00, google it!. Pin this shortcut to the task bar and move it so it is the first item on the task bar. Then you set the remote to use Win+1 to shut down.

When you push the shut down button the the Harmony everything turns off, TV, AMP and HTPC to S5.
(2011-09-30, 08:39)eskro Wrote: METHOD#3
SIMEREC.COM's PCS-1 or PCS-2 Universal IR Remote Switch
is a neat little InfraRed Receiver that once installed,
you'll be able to to Power ON and OFF your HTPC...
There's a little bit of work involved here to make it work,
as you need to drill a tiny whole in your HTPC case to install the IR receiver..
But on the other hand, it comes fully assembled and no soldering is required!
this thing works with 99% of IR remotes on the market including Harmony's!
But note that as of today, this wont allow you to control your HTPC,,,
I've talked with the guys at simerec.com and they said that by the END of october,
they should release a version of their 'Universal IR Remote Switch'
which will also enable users to actually control their HTPC's!!
This is great news! good job SIMEREC!!

Just saw this on Simerec's site this morning. If this works as advertised, I think it's a great solution for many.

http://www.simerec.com/PCS-MA.html
Hoping someone can help me out.

I have a Asrock z77e-itx mobo which comes with a CIR header. I was looking at buying the Inteset ASROCK receiver:
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/28-inte...oards.aspx

On reading the description it says:

Quote:You will have to download the motherboard driver for this unit. It is free on ASRock's site or on the CD that comes with your motherboard. The one you want is the Winbond or Nuvoton driver at the ASRock Download Center for your model of motherboard. After you download the driver you must activate it in your BIOS.

Problem is I'm running ubuntu and the drivers are all for Windows.

Questions:
Are the drivers needed?
Has anyone got this running with Ubuntu?
Assuming it all works does this become my only IR receiver, ie does it replace my HP one for my harmony?
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Eurgh fed up of trying to get power on from S5 working. Does anyone know a sure fire way using CIR or otherwise to get it working in the UK? I have an ASRock A75M.
(2012-07-27, 17:00)dannycorker Wrote: Eurgh fed up of trying to get power on from S5 working. Does anyone know a sure fire way using CIR or otherwise to get it working in the UK? I have an ASRock A75M.

Does that motherboard have the ASRock CIR header? As I'm using the ASRock remote and IR receiver. Seems to be working fine for me. Boots up from power off no problem. Remote is working well in Openelec too.

The power button on the remote shuts down the PC as well.

I'm using the remote kit found in the z68m-itx/HT which you can buy separately
It does I believe yes, not opened it up for a while. Don't really want to buy a whole new board to get a remote kit, any known places to get the CIR kit here in UK?
Check the manual to see if your motherboard has the required CIR header. I presume you have the A75M-ITX?? if so you have the right header on the motherboard.

Remote kit available in the uk here.

Instructions for the kit and installation here.
I purchased a Logitech Harmony 600 and an HP IR receiver.
Is there any chance that these combined with my Asrock A75 Pro motherboard will power-on from sleep?

I have looked around and found conflicting information.
NVidia Shield Pro
Firestick
Wetek Core
Panasonic P60ST30
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3