• 36(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
Okay. I read through this entire thread last night. (very informative) Thanks to Eskro's building thread, I have a plan to pick up an A75M-ITX. From what I am reading, an IR dongle will work great to power on from an S5 until I use a keyboard and mouse. However, if I re-pin the intel CIR module for the Asrock board, it will work no matter what.

My question is, how well does the CIR module work for distance and angle of IR input? I know the Asrock CIR is crap for this, so it will not work for me. I would rather just buy the Intel CIR, re-pin it and have it work as an MS KB to control it with my harmony ONE. I would prefer not to buy the HP dongle just for the good distance it can pick up IR, as I am trying to keep all of my hardware cost under $300 with this build.
range on the INTESET never got bashed at, your safe!
(2012-04-23, 17:31)ragedogg69 Wrote: Okay. I read through this entire thread last night. (very informative) Thanks to Eskro's building thread, I have a plan to pick up an A75M-ITX. From what I am reading, an IR dongle will work great to power on from an S5 until I use a keyboard and mouse. However, if I re-pin the intel CIR module for the Asrock board, it will work no matter what.

My question is, how well does the CIR module work for distance and angle of IR input? I know the Asrock CIR is crap for this, so it will not work for me. I would rather just buy the Intel CIR, re-pin it and have it work as an MS KB to control it with my harmony ONE. I would prefer not to buy the HP dongle just for the good distance it can pick up IR, as I am trying to keep all of my hardware cost under $300 with this build.

What does the bold mean? Power from S5 is going to work unless you use a KB?

I am getting the HP usb IR dongle, hope it works for me. I was reading that getting an eHome receiver is important if you want to be able to fully configure all of the buttons to do whatever you want. I assume this wouldn't work if I was just using a CIR module.
the bold means,
some users have reported that Powering ON from a total OFF state works
but once they plugged another usb device after that like a USB keybaord example,
well, the Power ON from OFF state stop'ed working...
eskro does that mean that right now powering up with my k400 is perfect but if I would for example plug in a HP dongle to be able to use my harmony it might not power on anymore?
yes, it might, remember,
i always said that this Power ON from OFF state
is un'stable at the moment...

brute force way to make it work is use SIMEREC devices or ASROCK/INTESET CIR RECEIVER.
then, your bullet proof.
is it possible to purchase just the asrock receiver? I have read that its kinda shity tho. I kinda want to go with the HP dongle and see what happens
yes, u need to contact ASROCK directly tho,
if u want just the CIR receiver.
should sell for $10.
good for Power ON, range for that is ok,
but to control XBMC, think of something else.
I really want to build a HTPC with remote, but the only remote supported cases I can get here are rather big bricks. On the other and, I can get a really nice Lian Li PC C36 which unfortunately doesn't come with LCD/remote. Can anyone help which of the options mentioned above can be applied to that case and how widely the parts are available? I am living in Bangkok and HTPC stuff seems to be really limited here (cases, for example). So it would be stupid to not buy one of the few remote/LCD enabled cases if all the other options are equally unavailable.

So which of option 2-5 is most likely to work for me?
use SIMEREC device
(2012-05-07, 01:17)eskro Wrote: use SIMEREC device
Thanks! I sent them an email to ask whether they ship internationally and whether their solution now also supports controlling the HTPC (or still only switching it on/off).

Would the following be possible:

I understand the SIMEREC device can be programmed with any remote (for switching on/off the HTPC and maybe even for controlling the HTPC). The same seems to apply for the FLIRC device (it can be programmed with any remote). So could I just buy both devices and then use the remote of my HDTV to:
- power on/off my HTPC (through SIMEREC), and
- to control my HTPC (through FLIRC), and, of course,
- to power on/off and control my TV?

I.e. one remote for everything? (Or, worst case if the HDTV remote doesn't work, do the same with a Logitech Harmony?)[/align]

(2012-05-08, 19:35)jaochoo Wrote: So could I just buy both devices and then use the remote of my HDTV to:
- power on/off my HTPC (through SIMEREC), and
- to control my HTPC (through FLIRC), and, of course,
- to power on/off and control my TV?

I.e. one remote for everything? (Or, worst case if the HDTV remote doesn't work, do the same with a Logitech Harmony?)[/align]

yes jaochoo.
it should work!
i have an A75M-ITX board and HP receiver that i can reliably suspend (S3) and wake from suspend via a universal remote. works great. however all this talk about turning on from an Off (S5) state intrigues me, but i can't get it to work even following the tips here, universal remote or HP. one question i can't find an answer to:

-is the CIR jumper setting required when using an MCE receiver like the HP? or is that jumper only required when using the Asrock receiver?

i have it jumpered, yet have my receiver plugged into a rear USB 2.0 port. if i plug the receiver into the front ports, nothing shows up in Device Manager for one port, but it works as usual in the other port. I'm guessing this is due to the jumper setting. i also don't have the Asrock CIR software installed b/c it reports it can't find a compatible sensor
CIR jumpers are only to be used with ASROCK SMART REMOTES or RE-PIN'ed INTESET CIR RECEIVERS.
(2012-05-10, 03:12)eskro Wrote: CIR jumpers are only to be used with ASROCK SMART REMOTES or RE-PIN'ed INTESET CIR RECEIVERS.

ahh...cool. i started to figure that but didn't see it mentioned anywhere. i'll unjumper that and keep trying
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3