How does this hardware look?
I'm looking to move over to XBMC shortly, and I'm just preparing the front room. Few floorboards up, cabling ready to go in and so on. I'd just like some comments on the hardware I plan to use.
  • Intel C2Quad [email protected]
  • Gigabyte G31M-S2L
  • 4GB Cruical XMS2 DDR2
  • ATI Radeon 6450hm 512mb
  • Bluray drive
  • Windows Home Server

I don't have an AV receiver yet, currently I plan to send the Video/Audio over a 5m HDMI cable to my TV, a Sony Bravia. Future plans do include a proper audio solution, but funds at the moment are being diverted elsewhere, so audio will be output via my Hardman Kardon amplifier and Mission speakers, which sadly aren't surround, but still produce a nice sound!

My main concern is that the computer be able to handle full 1080p and blurays without issue, as I want to try running it on my WHS box to keep costs down, I won't have access to hardware decoding via DXVA 2.0 and 4GB memory is the most that motherboard will take.

TIA Smile.

Edit: Is it really worth investing in cat6? I've got a reel of cat5e which should be fine, surely?
Using your cat5e will be fine.
Cat5e supports 1000 Mbps which is the fastest speed your HTPC, server and switches will support.
The hardware is solid for 1080p playback of all kinds.

T800 Wrote:Using your cat5e will be fine.
Cat5e supports 1000 Mbps which is the fastest speed your HTPC, server and switches will support.
Don't actually know why I asked that, as I won't be using network cabling at all :p.

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers.
Wireless and 1080p don't mix too well. You can try it, but the first answer on the next post asking about why you're buffering and whatnot, people will tell you to run wire.

While you're running other wires, run some low voltage. You'll be happier you did.
kitsunegari Wrote:I don't have an AV receiver yet, currently I plan to send the Video/Audio over a 5m HDMI cable to my TV, a Sony Bravia. Future plans do include a proper audio solution, but funds at the moment are being diverted elsewhere, so audio will be output via my Hardman Kardon amplifier and Mission speakers, which sadly aren't surround, but still produce a nice sound!

My main concern is that the computer be able to handle full 1080p and blurays without issue
with proper software and configuration, it should be fine!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
the ATI Radeon 6450hm 512mb will serve you good!
Kirky99 Wrote:Wireless and 1080p don't mix too well.
it isn't just don't mix well, it never work. you might have better luck with this powerline network kit- D-Link DHP-540 PowerLine.
sad that those powerline network kits are so pricey :/
bluray Wrote:it isn't just don't mix well, it never work.

I have had luck with pure 5GHZ N when using an access point (and not a wireless card or something).

poofyhairguy Wrote:I have had luck with pure 5GHZ N when using an access point (and not a wireless card or something).
how's bd playback in 1080p w/ dts-hd/truehd?
eskro Wrote:sad that those powerline network kits are so pricey :/
it's pricey, but it is a great adapter for entertainment center cabinet because it has enough ports for htpc, ps3, avr and hdtv. i have the 200mbps with 4-port, and i'm very happy with it. it has no problem with netflix hd, vudu, youtube, yahoo, google, directv2pc, etc.
bluray Wrote:how's bd playback in 1080p w/ dts-hd/truehd?

Completely doable. The trick as I said is to use an access point. Basically this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833122398

The issue is the lower range of 5GHZ N.

bluray Wrote:it isn't just don't mix well, it never work. you might have better luck with this powerline network kit- D-Link DHP-540 PowerLine.

I run 1080p accost a wireless G without any problems. The receiving CPU i3-550 I think helps it a bit. I didn't think it would work but it is. Although there are no walls and its only about 40 ' 3 months now and Ive never seen any buffring

WRT54GL with DD-WRT
poofyhairguy Wrote:Completely doable. The trick as I said is to use an access point. Basically this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833122398

The issue is the lower range of 5GHZ N.

Drools... lol
no wonder the wndr3700 prices are dropping. I figured there was a newer model. Kept the blinders on to protect the wallet lol.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does this hardware look?0