Safari Airplay
Apologise for putting this here, wasn't able to post a new thread in off-topic, so if someone could pls move it there, would appreciate it.

I wanted to bring to your attention for those who are not already aware, two brilliant 'little' Safari plugins by Marc Hoyois called ClicktoPlugin and Media Center. These amongst other features add airplay functionality for videos in safari by converting them to HTML5. There is a list of compatible sites and formats on the website.

http://hoyois.github.com/

Since my understanding of video codecs and airplay is amateur, I would appreciate it if someone can help explain the below:

1. One example of a stream that isn't compatible is http://www.youtube.com/live. Marc explained that the plugin cannot decode flv and nor does html5 support streams. Is the atv2 capable of receiving streams as airplay ? My understanding is yes, since it receives live streams from air-played content from other iOS devices. In this case which formats does the atv2 support ?

2. This is a more generic question. In the case of an airplay stream, am I right in saying that the stream transmitter (eg. ipad/iphone) is the device that is doing the work and the atv2, though decoding and playing it, is a secondary participant in terms of cpu. The reason for the question in this context is: In the case of an intel mac air-playing a video through safari to atv2, should the process be easier than the a4 chip on the atv2 playing the same video through one its available channels.

Thanks Smile
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Actually, if no one minds, I've moved this to "Supplemental Tools for XBMC" since XBMC now has AirPlay support built in.
When you airplay from a device, be it an ipad or a computer with this extension, the "transmitter" does no work at all for decoding. Airplay video is basically a modified HTTP server. It is simply hosting the file + controls.
Hey Ned...

Thanks for the explanation, I realise now. Marc also updated me and answered the questions above. I will check with him if I can post his response here. I had a hunch that this was the case and was more in hope that being able to airplay from a mac was providing a processing advantage. Still a very useful tool!
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

For those interested, Marc, the author of these plug-ins answered the first post:

"the Apple TV cannot read FLV files, so from this fact alone Youtube live on Apple TV is impossible."

" it [Apple TV] only supports m3u8 streams like other iOS devices and HTML5 in Safari. This format was created by Apple specifically for HTML5 streams, so you won't find it elsewhere than in HTML5, and it should be playable on ATV using Media Center."

"Normal rtp streams do not work on iDevices, so they won't work on ATV either, even if the codec itself is supported."

"Streaming content from say an iPad to ATV is a completely different matter: this uses the AirPlay streaming protocol which is different from the streaming protocols used on the internet. Finally, when you send a video to your ATV from Safari, it does not actually stream from the computer: the ATV itself downloads and plays the video."

"when you stream from an iPad to ATV you are actually streaming the video data, and I am unsure who does the processing (but I guess the Apple TV does). The Safari case is somewhat special: the only thing that is streamed is a very short instruction that tells ATV to download and play a given video URL."

I am using Eden beta 2. Airplay is working well streaming video/audio from my iPhone to XBMC. I can also stream from my macbook iTunes to XBMC.

I am now trying to stream from my macbook safari to XBMC via these extensions. Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I installed clicktoplugin and mediacenter extensions. All aspects of the plugins seem to be working fine except for sending to airplay (able to open videos in quicktime, choose different video qualities via source selector). When I click airplay nothing happens though. What should I enter into the plugin settings as the airplay device host name?

Any assistance is much appreciated!
I confirm that Mark has created a great extension, very easy to start simple and easy video from a safari on TV

I rewrite with Marc a lot and trying to figure out how to get it to work through the extension xbmc

appletv2
1) on firmware 4.3 it(clicktoplugin) worked well through the expansion of native airplay
2) on firmware 4.4 it sends through the extansion of native video airplay, it runs, but can be played only 30-50 seconds. This may be due to the overflow of a buffer, for example.

Mark said that this option unknowinglySmile Apple developers closed on firmware 4.4 and can not think of anything.

A) Now it sends a link to expand appletv via http, because it's the only thing allowed in the browser.

And in its settings you can choose only the hostname and port can not be selected (the default is 7,000)

B) Utility AIRFLICK - and quietly works at native airplay and airplay from xbmc, and on firmware 4.3 and on firmware 4.4.

I changed the port through advancedsettings.xml from airplay in 7000, instead of 36 667, and see it throw bonjour browser. But after clicktoplugin can not run the video anyway

why airflick -work, but clicktoplugin - no?
up. please help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Safari Airplay0