Help with Putty needed
Question 
Can someone please help me use putty. Here is what I have done so far:

* Ran PuTTY as administrator
* Typed my ATV2's ip address into Host Name
* Clicked "open"

I get an error message which reads "Network Error: Connection Refused"

I have searched the forums and the web in general but there doesn't seem to be any clear instructions for this. I've sen combinations of $ ssh ip password alpine but nothing seems to work for me.
Did you choose ssh as connection type in putty? And is the ssh-Daemon properly running on your ATV2? Which OS is running on your ATV2?
Also, you don't need to run putty as Administrator. Just a normal user is fine.
MrShique Wrote:Did you choose ssh as connection type in putty?
Yes.

Quote:And is the ssh-Daemon properly running on your ATV2?
That's the first time I've heard "ssh-Daemon" mentioned. How can I check if it's running?

Quote:Which OS is running on your ATV2?
4.3 (8F455)

ascl_ Wrote:Also, you don't need to run putty as Administrator. Just a normal user is fine.
Ah ok, that came from a YouTube tutorial linked from the wiki.
The ssh-daemon is your ssh-service, to which you want to connect with putty. Afaik (I don't have an atv2, so perhaps someone with more knowledge about that device should confirm this) you'll need either a jailbroken ATV2 with a running ssh-daemon or you can copy the sshd-file from another mac by connecting the ATV's HDD to that Mac and editing the corresponding config-Files on that drive. If you want to install xbmc on the ATV after all, the first way is probably the better one, as you have to go it anyway for the installation.
Is there any way to check if my device is actually jailbroken? I used greenpois0n and the whole process seemed to go smoothly including a confirmation message at the end saying jailbreak was successful, but there seems to be no difference as far as I can tell, like in the menu.

I'm still none the wiser about this ssh-daemon though.
TheStretchedElf Wrote:Is there any way to check if my device is actually jailbroken? I used greenpois0n and the whole process seemed to go smoothly including a confirmation message at the end saying jailbreak was successful, but there seems to be no difference as far as I can tell, like in the menu.

I'm still none the wiser about this ssh-daemon though.

Best to stick to Seas0npass... there's a reason it's recommended in the jailbreak FAQ. If you're new to this I highly recommend giving it a read... and trying again with Seas0npass.

I doubt your ATV2 has been successfully jailbroken if you're getting connection refused when attempting to ssh to it. If your ATV2's IP address was 192.168.1.10, the command would be:

ssh [email protected]
enter alpine as the password when prompted
MrShique Wrote:The ssh-daemon is your ssh-service, to which you want to connect with putty. Afaik (I don't have an atv2, so perhaps someone with more knowledge about that device should confirm this) you'll need either a jailbroken ATV2 with a running ssh-daemon or you can copy the sshd-file from another mac by connecting the ATV's HDD to that Mac and editing the corresponding config-Files on that drive. If you want to install xbmc on the ATV after all, the first way is probably the better one, as you have to go it anyway for the installation.

You will need a jailbroken ATV2 for ssh'ing (the jailbreak will enable the ssh daemon process). You can't copy the sshd file from another Mac, for one it's a different CPU arch so the binary won't run... secondly, you don't get direct access to the ATV2's file system unless it's been jailbroken first.

Jailbreak is step 1.
jd2157 Wrote:Best to stick to Seas0npass... there's a reason it's recommended in the jailbreak FAQ. If you're new to this I highly recommend giving it a read... and trying again with Seas0npass.
I would have preferred to use seas0npass but unfortunately it doesn't work for me, which is why I was forced to use an alternative. I have asked for help on the FireCore support forum but haven't had any response. Basically, when I click "Create IPSW" in seas0npass I get the message "Unable to download firmware. Please check your internet connection or firewall settings and try again." I haven't been able to resolve this so I turned to greenpois0n.

Quote:I doubt your ATV2 has been successfully jailbroken if you're getting connection refused when attempting to ssh to it. If your ATV2's IP address was 192.168.1.10, the command would be:

ssh [email protected]
enter alpine as the password when prompted
Perhaps it hasn't been jailbroken then, even though GP told me it had. I take it there is no way to test this?
TheStretchedElf Wrote:I would have preferred to use seas0npass but unfortunately it doesn't work for me, which is why I was forced to use an alternative. I have asked for help on the FireCore support forum but haven't had any response. Basically, when I click "Create IPSW" in seas0npass I get the message "Unable to download firmware. Please check your internet connection or firewall settings and try again." I haven't been able to resolve this so I turned to greenpois0n.

Perhaps it hasn't been jailbroken then, even though GP told me it had. I take it there is no way to test this?

Generally the best way to test is by ssh'ing to the ATV2. If the connection is refused then the ssh daemon isn't running which typically means it's not jailbroken.

As for Seas0npass not working, there's a good chance you have some incorrect entries in your hosts file... likely left there by Tiny Umbrella. You can edit the hosts file directly (can't recall it's exact location, windows/system32/drivers/etc maybe) or there's an option in TU to leave the hosts file alone.

Another option is to manually download the latest IPSW file from iclarified.com and Shift-click the Create IPSW so it'll let you manually select the IPSW file (i.e. SP won't have to download itself).

The JB faq has all the common jailbreak mistakes listed... try to rule them all out... haven't found a case yet where folks couldn't get SP to work eventually.

We're getting a little off-topic so I'll move the thread for now... we can continue over in the other forum though until you get jailbroken.
jd2157 Wrote:Generally the best way to test is by ssh'ing to the ATV2. If the connection is refused then the ssh daemon isn't running which typically means it's not jailbroken.

As for Seas0npass not working, there's a good chance you have some incorrect entries in your hosts file... likely left there by Tiny Umbrella. You can edit the hosts file directly (can't recall it's exact location, windows/system32/drivers/etc maybe) or there's an option in TU to leave the hosts file alone.

Another option is to manually download the latest IPSW file from iclarified.com and Shift-click the Create IPSW so it'll let you manually select the IPSW file (i.e. SP won't have to download itself).

The JB faq has all the common jailbreak mistakes listed... try to rule them all out... haven't found a case yet where folks couldn't get SP to work eventually.

We're getting a little off-topic so I'll move the thread for now... we can continue over in the other forum though until you get jailbroken.
Simplest. Solution. Ever.

Thanks a million. greenpois0n had indeed failed to jailbreak my device. seas0npass worked with the IPSW from iclarified and I've now ssh'd into my ATV and got XBMC on it (now I just have to figure out how to populate my library/sources). If only the guys at FireCore had told me to simply download the IPSW manually. Would have saved me a day of headscratching. Thanks a lot for the advice, it's greatly appreciated.
Glad to hear it worked out. Ran into the Tiny Umbrella issue today on my brother's ATV2. Couldn't believe it but the fact that TU was configured to "Set Hosts to Cydia..." was preventing him from putting the ATV2 into DFU mode.

Once I changed the setting he was able to put it into DFU no problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Putty needed0