One PC to rule them all
Hi,

I have a beefy primary workstation running Win7 Ultimate. I just installed XBMC and like what I see - I'd like to run an HDMI cable over to my receiver which will feed my TV.

I would also like to continue using the workstation, with the attached analog speakers, for everything else.

Is anyone else doing this? The one sticking point I can think of is the audio stream - can I tell XBMC and only XBMC to use HDMI for audio, while all other devices use the default analog out?

I found the following couple options that look promising:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...e7790492f1

It seems windows media player has the ability to specify its default audio output device. Would be fantastic if there was some way to do this with XBMC so I didn't have to use an external application (also referenced in the above URL) to kludge it.

Thanks!
Most of the users that have a HTPC system have audio through the HDMI port.... Some graphic cards allow two audio streams... HDMI and the PC for communications. All this really depends on your audio hardware segment, audio on the gfx card, separate audio card, audio on the MB. XBMC is not a good multi-tasker and will hog the audio for the most part, (don't look for an internal XBMC solution) it will depend on external software to handle more than one stream.. You may call it a kludge, I just think it's a workaround. If you find something that brings you joy, please don't hesitate to tell us all about it.
I was in the same boat. I setup my ATI 5770 to send the video/audio up to the receiver and configured XBMC and MPC to use the ATI HDMI audio. My motherboard also has an audio controller so I use that as my default, so things like games or normal system audio plays through my smaller stereo speakers. What's really nice with this setup is if there are videos on YourTube/Netflix or even a game I want play on my TV and Surround Sound system I just change the ATI to my default audio then move the viewing window to the TV.

I don't know what version your using of XBMC but my non-Eden copy I can set the audio; Setting>System>Audio Output

Good luck.

You can to set your 'default' audio device in Windows while you set XBMC's audio device to something different (under Settings menu). Try that.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Just a quick update, I have XBMC running beautifully on my primary workstation. HDMI audio goes only to the entertainment area in the living room, while PC audio only goes to the computer room speakers.

I do have one question - I'm currently using a re-purposed HTC EVO running Yatse to control the XBMC interface via wifi. I would like to purchase a Tivo slider remote, as my WAF requires a hard-button remote. As I understand it though, most remotes (including the slider) send keystrokes to the PC. Will I be able to get this to work somehow, in a shared workstation/XBMC environment? With the wifi interface, there is no interference as someone is using the workstation to do work while XBMC is running offscreen via the HDMI out, but if I'm just sending keyboard signals in via RF remote, how can I segregate those incoming keystrokes to only affect XBMC?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One PC to rule them all0