XBMC Perfomance (Windows VS Live version)
I just wanted to know which one can perform best.

I have just bought an Crucial M4 SSD HDD to mount inside my HTPC, with the only purpose, to run XBMC.

So which version is perfoming best? (I'm running the Alaska Revised theme).

I can imagine some problems running the Live version, GFX drivers etc? I don't know if this is a problem? (All movies, which consist of MKV files, should be forced to run through DXVA on my GFX card)
Generally speaking, live has less overhead and will preform better because of that. Driver support is pretty good in both, but I hear (I don't know myself for sure) that some ATI cards don't have great support in linux/live.

The great part about it is you can make an XBMC Live USB drive and test it out at any time.

A big reason to use Windows is if you want Netflix support and some other things.
if you have an ATI card, Live is probably not the best option, as it does not provide ATI drivers and vaapi(hardware acceleration) support.
In that case either openelec(Live like "appliance distribution with ATI support) or manual linux install will be better. For the latter, there are a few guides in the linux support forum.
wsnipex Wrote:if you have an ATI card, Live is probably not the best option, as it does not provide ATI drivers and vaapi(hardware acceleration) support.
In that case either openelec(Live like "appliance distribution with ATI support) or manual linux install will be better. For the latter, there are a few guides in the linux support forum.

Allright. Thank you for the information Smile

Actually i just want to run the "Cowerflow" / Landscape mode as smoth as possible. How can i improve the speed / smoothnes of this? Is this dependent on the CPU or GFX?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Perfomance (Windows VS Live version)0