Setup HTPC running XBMC Live, experience FYI
I have just created a HTPC running XBMC Live and after numerous issues thought I'd pass on a few bits in case it helps anyone.

Setup:
Asus AT5IONT-I Motherboard (Integrated dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor D525)
In Win BQ660 Desktop Case, 80W PSU
Kingston 64GB Sata SSD
2GB Memory
Scythe Slip Stream Slim Case Fan, 120mm, Black, 1600rpm
Mini Variable, Fan Controller
Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit
XBMC Live 10.1 (Ubuntu)

The requirement was to create a small, quiet HTPC that could run XBMC Live and support Full HD via HDMI. It would sit (quietly) behind the tv.
I didn't find it easy to work out exactly what specs were required. I discovered the following issues and made these decisions as I went along.
Much of what I discovered came after googling specific problems. Several answers came from these forums. I don't have specific threads to hand but all thanks to the people who made those answers available.

1. CPU/motherboard
It appeared this motherboard would be up to the job. Its a Mini-ITX form factor so fits in a mini pc case. What's more it is passively cooled so no need for a (noisy) cpu fan. Wrong. In no time it was overheating and eventually shut itself down.
The case I picked is a mini one just big enough for a mini-itx motherboard. It has no case fan. I hoped this was ok for a passively cooled motherboard.
So I bought a case fan that would sit on top of the cpu heatsink. It needed to be slim (12mm) to fit in the case. That reduced my options. I read many bad reviews about slim fans and read about the difference between case fans and positive pressure for heatsink fans but I had no choice. So I opted for a reputable brand but picked one capable of a theoretically faster than needed speed. I added a fan controller so I could tone it down to a satisfactory level of cooling vs noise. It seems to work happily and it satisfactorily quietly at around 800rpm (according to 'sensors' program - see note 4 below). So I might have got away with the 800rpm version and skipped the fan controller.

2. Power Supply
I guessed that the builtin 80W power supply would be sufficient. I have since read that this mb is supposed to have a 90W p/s and I expect my 80W one to power the SSD as well. Well, so far its working perfectly.
However, the little fan built in to the p/s blew my nice quiet specs out the window. Its really noisy. Now I'll probably get flamed (perhaps literally) for this but I decided to jury rig things. I reasoned that the big case fan I added ought to be able to cool the p/s as well. So I opted to remove the side off the p/s, disconnect its fan, and let the case fan do both. That meant in practice that I had to remove the p/s from the case, and reinstall it upside dow so that the open side was beside the motherboard and the cooling could do its job.
So far its working perfectly and the whole things floats between 40-60C (100-140F) depending on what its doing. The case itself never feels particularly hot so I reckon I have it satisfactory.

3. Remote
I tried some generic off ebay and found that XBMC would not recognise it. I read threads suggesting I change files and recompile the kernel etc. That was just way too hard for me. I bought one that the wiki said should work out of the box, the Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit. It worked out of the box as promised. I sent the other one back. The Hauppauge was 3 times the price but in terms of the overall cost of the HTPC....

4. Ubuntu
Some of the next issues require going into the linux shell. Far more than I would have liked but I managed. To get to the shell from XBMC press Ctrl-Alt-F1 (Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to XBMC). You will be prompted for a linux userid/password. You can enter the one you created during XBMC Live install. However, for some things you need to be logged in as the root user. In that case you need userid=root, password=whatever it is.
I don't know what the default root password is so to sort it out I simply created one that suited me. To do this, login as the one you created during XBMC Live install. Enter command: sudo passwd root. Type in the password used to get into the shell, then type in a password for the root user. Repeat password and you're done. In future you can login as root with the password you just created.
Many commands appear to be able to be run as root just by prefixing the command with 'sudo '. I found it easier though to login as root and skip that.

Incidentally, any files that need changing on XBMC, like sources.xml etc, I personally don't like (aren't familiar with) using the linux editors. Instead, I use an FTP program in windows to transfer the file to my PC, edit it there, then send it back and reboot XBMC. I use Directory Opus. You need one that supports SFTP for XBMC Live (Dharma). And that FTP program needs the userid/password as just described.

Also, this system doesn't work so well if your XBMC keeps changing its IP on you. For that reason I set mine to static. To do this, open file:
/etc/network/interfaces. Go to the section '# The primary network interface' and replace the lines there with (change actual IP numbers as matches your system):
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.77
gateway 192.168.1.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255

5. CPU Temperature
Another use for the shell was running the sensors program so I could see how hot my cpu was. I have since incorporated the right script into advancedsettings.xml so I can see the temp in System Info (but you must get sensors working first). I'd really like to get that on the Home Screen but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

To run sensors you first have to install it. There are several threads on this. In short, from the shell run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

To get the cpu temp in System Info put this into advancedsettings.xml and reboot XBMC.
<cputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/CPU Temperature: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
The trick on the cputempcommand line is the text 'CPU Temperature'. Change this text to match what is output by the sensors command for your system.

6. Audio over HDMI
I thought this would be a no brainer. I hooked up my HDMI cable and expected to be able to play movies/music straight off. Not so. Got the pictures alright but no sound over HDMI. I tried several solutions offered in the forum but the one that got it working for me was to set:
Settings / System / Audio Output / Audio output device = custom
/ Custom audio device = both
Same for passthough device.
I found volume however was very low. I ran alsamixer from the shell and checked nothing was muted. I set all playback items to max volume. Then whilst playing a video I set the XBMC volume to max also. That finally got me sufficient volume which I then controlled with the tv remote.

7. Some audio files had no sound
They are all MP3's so I looked at the codec settings of each. Directory Opus lets me see that sort of info. I found the recalcitrant files were set to mono. Not sure now exactly how and when these were ripped. So I used a conversion program to re engineer them as stereo and now they play fine. Actually I had to convert them to wav and back to mp3 to get it to work properly.

8. Divx video files would play video ok but the sound was a high pitched incomprensible screech. I changed this setting and they now play fine:
Settings / System / Audio Output / Dolby Digital (AC3)capable receiver - set to off
I tried changing boost and DTS settings but they made no difference. My tv should be dolby enabled. Also, the screeching appeared via hdmi to the tv and on the Line Out to my stereo.

That's all I've run across so far.
With all the issues listed, I mustn't forget to say a huge thank you to all those people who have made XBMC what it is. When the issues are sorted, one is left with an amazing system to enjoy audio and video.
Any special steps to install nvidia drivers?
astanasto Wrote:Any special steps to install nvidia drivers?
I have not done anything with drivers. It just works as is (note m/b has builtin video).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setup HTPC running XBMC Live, experience FYI0