XBMC Strange Video Playback Issue with HDMI(Solved)
Hi All,

Just thought I would save someone several (12 Hours of tinkering actually) hours of messing around and perhaps expensive hardware upgrade (Saved me over £230 I was going to buy a micro-atx system).

My Setup:
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1 GB Ram
MSI SLI Diamond Motherboard
MSI N460GTX Cyclone
300Gb SATA Drive
Ubuntu 11.10.
Default Nvida Driver comes with Ubuntu 11.10
HDMI is passed through Sony StrD5200 ES to Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Screen.
Using full 1080P Non Compressed Blu-Ray rips with true-HD or DTS-MA sound. (Each file is 20-30gb) in mkv h.264 container made by makemkv.
JBOD Drive on USB2 with 2TB disk in it where the movies are stored.

Issue:
When first installing using Dharma 10.1, I noticed that the system juddered and jerked a lot, stuttering, even cutting off the HDMI Feed, as per the common stuttering issues people report. Used Pixars Cars as my test engine, the stuttering would appear as the lamp jumped on the I of Pixar and would never get past the initial wide angle scene of the race track and the helicopter flying in from the bottom left without being completley unusable. Normal DVD's seemd to playn fine (again MKV 4Gb Files).

Attempted fixes
Cpu-Freq Performance Mode: 2000
Nvidia Powermizer setting: Performance
Upgraded to Eden Nighlies

Did change a little but no avail at this point I was almost throwing it away.

Then I read somewhere about sync issues with 24fps and 50hz Monitors which sparked a last chance solution.

Resolution:
Plugged HDMI cable straight into Panasonic Box.
Open up Nvidia settings, save the display settings to XOrg File.

Stuttering dissapered completely, or to the point you know it is in the initial frames as the hardware kicks up the performance. I did not put the card into Powermizer Performance or change the default settings of CPU-Freq.

I believe it is some interaction between the Sony Kit, the output from the Nvidia card and the display, but I am not that technical to figure it out.

So now I play full 1080P Blu-Rays on a piece of kit approaching 3 yrs old (CPU/Motherboard) with decent bitstreamed sound to my Reciever, which I cannot tell the difference from the original blu-ray.

Saved myself some major money in the short term.

Thank you for an excellent product, I hope others find this post useful as I searched for hours and could not find a solution.

Thanks
Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Strange Video Playback Issue with HDMI(Solved)0