XBMC freezing Windows 7
guishark Wrote:TK You for the quick reply

Well I made a clean W7 install when receiving the laptop, so i don't have any HP recommended settings.

Normal use and high perfs => freeze
Even with PCI-Express disabled

But it does work on batterie saving mode. Even if PCI-Express is available so i'm not sure it is the pb.

Now what i'll try is to start XBMC on battery saving mode and then see if it still works when switching to normal/high perf.
my wife and kid laptops work with "balance" power option. maybe, you can give it a try too!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I just upgraded my media computer to win 7 x86 and dharma 10.1, I was using 10.0 and XP before
Now I have extremely high cpu usage (50% +) when just sitting in the library.
Today towards the end of a movie the cpu usage was around 90%.

I restarted xbmc and was able to continue watching the movie, without stuttering.
Log files dont reveal any clues and task manager shows xbmc as the cuplrit.
nothing else is running in the background other than normal windows 7 stuff.
this is a dedicated xbmc box playing media from a smb share. I had no issues with XP, just decided to upgrade.
Any thoughts?
I'm having trouble with what appears to be the same issue, on an HP ProBook 4530s.

But the PCI Express Link State option doesn't seem to do a thing Sad

EDIT: I was on BIOS version F.09. I just flashed to BIOS version F.20, problem fixed.
EDIT2: Problem isn't fixed... Sad
Hmmm... I am having the same issue... Can we identify the PCI Express Link Power State Management as the issue?

-----

EDIT:

So I've set this value to OFF for both battery and plugged-in state. Doesn't seem to fix the issue.

As best as I can tell, if the laptop wakes from a sleep state or a hibernate state (having been in said state for a while, not sure how long that "while" has to be yet) then it has an issue... I would pinpoint this on some kind of power settings.. But I've gone through everything and said to use maximum performance, not to allow power management on what would let me (ie, don't let the hard drive sleep, etc).

When XBMC won't start, it literally hoses my OS state. Task manager freezes, chrome moves extremely sluggishly (taking ~2 minutes to start up).

This is an awesome brand new laptop, in the midst of testing I've upgraded video and network drivers, and have played with all the power options listed in this thread. NOTHING is working. I really don't wanna take this laptop back and get charged restocking fees due to this (I bought 2 of them actually!!!). I'm not in the market for a laptop much more expensive to get a "better" setup.

Model #: L775-S5306

What gives?

---

I wasn't having it... Took it back. Disappointed, because for an i3, 4gb ram, 15.6" screen, that was a great deal for $399.... too bad this Intel HD 3000 blows ass. Even with the power saving disabled it still acted stupid.
I have the same problem.
My pc (hp pavillion dv7-6b41el: intel i7 2720qm, 8 gb ram, ati radeon hd 6490m) freezes every time i start xbmc, task manager doesn't start etc etc.
i tried some solution:
Disabled pci express: nothing
add advancedsetting.xml file to start xbmc in window mode: xbmc worked for a couple of times.
Updated all drivers: nothing.
I think that problem is the commutable graphic card. xbmc try to start using intel graphic and not the ati one. is there a way to set up in xbmc the ati graphic card as default?

PS: sorry for my english Blush
Have you guys tried running without a network connection? Does it make any difference?
I had the exactly same problem as you, and this solution probably worked for me. So far XBMC is starting fine, but will run some more tests later.

I have the laptop Asus X53SV.

The new Intel i5 2430 chip
gt540 graphics card
Windows 7 premium

Good thread btw, ty all Wink So annoying when the Pc freez everytime i tried to open XBMC, and i had to push the power button to turn it off.. could only open XBMC if i opened the program right away when i got into windows.

edit: Also want to add, that i think XBMC also works if you run it in Windowed mode.. but then you always have to turn fullscreen on when you get in.

paavor Wrote:I think that I found the key part of this. It's most likely "PCI-Express link state power management" option.

See: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/set...anagement/

Google reveals quite many discussions about this and symptoms are in problem cases just like ours: computers locking up.

I have to do further testing about this (it's quite time consuming to test this) but this looks promising. YAY! Big Grin

Gotta google a little if there is a possibility to set this setting via command line, so I can set PCI Express power saving options on/off with a batch file.

Life is good again. Cool

(This still leaves one open question: Why is this affecting only XBMC? WMC, other "DirectX programs or games" or any other program won't lock up my computer.)
I am also having this problem on an HP dv6 with Win7 x64, Intel Core i7, 8gb of ram and an ATI 6770M. I have updated the bios and all drivers and I have tired both XBMC 10.1 and the latest nightly build. I have also tried all of the power option changes suggested in this thread.

The only suggestion I have not tried is starting in windowed mode because I can not figure out what to put in "advancedsettings.xml" to do that.

The only solution that has worked so far is starting XBMC the second I boot up but that is a bit of a pain so any more suggestions would be great. This laptop was purchased primarily for using XBMC so help is much appreciated.
Damn.. didnt work. Ran some more tests with that solution, but didnt work.

this is so frustrating!

edit: dosent work with windowed mode either.

I want to add that i got my laptop connected to my receiver / TV all the time
hello guy!
after some tests I arrived behind a wall and i'm feeling so frustrating.
well, i tried all solutions mentioned in this thread (pci power setup and windowed mode) but I'm understanding that these tips create false positives.
xbmc starts, with or without these corrections, only on one condition: the first xbmc launch should be within 2 minutes from windows boot. in this case you can close and reopen xbmc as many times as you want. but if you try to first launch xbmc after the deadly 2 minutes the pc freezes.
so, i supposed that some service or startup application create a conflict with xbmc. i disabled all services and all startup applications but... AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry after the deadly 2 minutes the pc freezes
Can anybody tell me how can resolve the problem?
After this... have anyone a suggestion?
Hello,
I'm having exactly the same issue with Xbmc...
Afer 2 minutes I can't launch it anymore.
I tried to change every power settings possible lol.
My laptot is an Asus G74SX ( I7-2630QM , GTX560M, W7 64bits )

As there is no real solution for the moment, i made it start on windows start up.

I'm sorry if there is mistakes in my sentences but I'm Belgian... This is an international problem !! lol

Update: I've change some parameters in the Nvidia panel and ... Xbmc launches.

I have to make some more tests.
Things that I've changed (only in the Nvidia control panel in 3d parameters then not in the global tab but the program tab, and then I selected Xbmc):
-Power Management mode -> max perf
-Vertical Sync -> Force disabled
-Triple Buffering -> Activated.

Doesn't work a second time ..... So forget this :/
Same problem here... I have a Dell Vostro, with a commutable video card Radeon 6630M.

After lots of struggle, I solved the problem with a Bios Update from Dell Website.
Just update the Bios and started working.

I have found the answer at this facebook page.
I've also read that HP had the same problem fixed.

I registered here just to post my solution. Many thanks to all the people who concluded that the problem was the commutable video card.
I'm having a similar incident. (I believe so, at least).

I have an Acer Revo 3610 running Win7. My media on a network location.
I leave the PC on 24/7, no sleep or standby mode.
Everything was working perfectly, then suddenly it would start to freeze. I can't kill the process. If I go in through task manager, it would kill the app, but I'd still see the process running.

If I launch CMD with "Run as administrator" and use TaskKill, and then I'm able to kill the task. When I try to restart, the system seems to freeze at Logging Off.

I can't help but wonder if some Windows Updates from the last 2 weeks have caused this issue?
I have the same problem, after updating to eden.It's just freezing even after playing with the menu.Solution - i reinstalled the old version.

Ultra xtreamer , win 7 64
+1

Doesn't seem to be any particular action other than I noticed on mine that it's guaranteed to hang if you try to change an option that requires a separate text entry dialog to open.

I've had it hang in most other areas.

No one has put in a bug report on this it looks like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC freezing Windows 70