• 3(current)
Shortage of Hard Drives Prices UP!
i just playback using bd for now. when the hd price come down, i'll rip it to hd.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
This post got me to search the situation. It really is not looking good at this point for hard drives. Doing a search for "hard drive prices" brings up many articles on the situation, and mostly a 20% rise in prices forecast at this point. Just when I thought I might be able to put together a HTPC system that included a dedicated XBMC HTPC and a server.

Hard Drive Motor Factory
Japan's Nidec Corp Its factories in Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya supply more than 70% of all global HDD motors.

The best deal I can find at Amazon is a WD15EARS. I'm tempted to buy a few because I don't want to wait months and I'm already in need of drive space. And if I'm reading the news correctly prices are still going to rise. What was the best prices on these 1.5 TBs in the past months? So tempted....

I bet when all this is over, months from now, there are going to be some very good pricing because these secondary places that will ramp up production and then the primary spots coming back online will make for an influx of drives parts and hopefully a nice crash in drive prices. Only hoping anyway.
NCIX still has some 2TB green drives for $89.98 usd. not sure how long will this last.
WhiteLighter Wrote:NCIX still has some 2TB green drives for $89.98 usd. not sure how long will this last.

Good price but seems a bit risky. Some really bad reviews and it seems that the drive has problems with RAID.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...k=WD20EARX
how about this- Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. you can use it as usb 3.0 drive or open it up to use it as internal drive too.
http://www.frys.com/product/6618974?site...s%20page:6 How are these? Don't think they will ship, but have a store close to me
bluray Wrote:how about this- Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. you can use it as usb 3.0 drive or open it up to use it as internal drive too.

In theory it sounds great. But you void the warranty as soon as you do that. Unless you feel you could put it all back together as if it never was.
bluray Wrote:how about this- Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. you can use it as usb 3.0 drive or open it up to use it as internal drive too.

Nice, but do we know what kind of drive inside it? aside from being a seagate 3tb

FishOil Wrote:Good price but seems a bit risky. Some really bad reviews and it seems that the drive has problems with RAID.

My unRaid box is made up of this HDD and haven't had any problems. Maybe, it's just a matter of receiving a lemon.
CpTHOOK Wrote:http://www.frys.com/product/6618974?site...s%20page:6 How are these? Don't think they will ship, but have a store close to me

I checked Fry's the other day and didn't see 2tb under $100. Need to drop by Fry's on my way home tonight ^_^ thanks
g725s Wrote:In theory it sounds great. But you void the warranty as soon as you do that. Unless you feel you could put it all back together as if it never was.
it's not true, because most manufactures still give full warrantee on hd after it is removed from the case.
FishOil Wrote:Good price but seems a bit risky. Some really bad reviews and it seems that the drive has problems with RAID.

RAID yes, but not unRAID
WhiteLighter Wrote:Nice, but do we know what kind of drive inside it? aside from being a seagate 3tb
i believe that it has this hd inside the case- Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST33000651AS .

i'm not 100% sure on it, but it's still superb price for 3tb.
bluray Wrote:i believe that it has this hd inside the case- Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST33000651AS .

i'm not 100% sure on it, but it's still superb price for 3tb.

yup, i have to admit that it is very tempting ^_^
WhiteLighter Wrote:yup, i have to admit that it is very tempting ^_^

Well whomever decides to try first I'd be interested in the results. Looking to add a 3tb Parity to unRAID
Newegg has IDE drives on there e-mail specials crazy cheep 80Gb and 160Gb
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shortage of Hard Drives Prices UP!1