• 3(current)
XBMC Nightlies Crashing on 1080p Playback
Won't anyone take pity on me? Any ideas from anyone on what can be causing this? :-)
It might be worth putting up a chunk of offending video for testing purposes?
It's multiple videos that cause the issue, and I think it somehow may be related to the size of the files. How much of a chunk would be satisfactory? I rip all of my videos (HD and SD) using DVDFab. HD I rip at anywhere from 10000 kb/s - 12000. SD (which never causes an issue) I rip much lower.
If it bombs before playing a 10-20mb hunk would be enough to see if it is a problem for others.
Make sure you test it yourself to save any embarrassment if it is size related Smile
Well this is even more embarassing -- I guess DVDFab can't read the chapters of the extracted MKV -- so I don't have software that will slice and dice the video. Can you recommend something I can use that will preserve the quality of the original?

The crash happens generally within the first minute, minute and a half of play. It always crashes on the same spot in each video (I don't mean exactly 30 seconds in or anything, but at the same moment over and over in each MKV, and if I skip beyond the spot it crashes, it generally will just crash again shortly thereafter.)

The reason I think it's size related is because much smaller 1080p files (say, a TV episode Blu Ray rip) plays without issue.
man dd, cut 50 to 100 MBs from the beginning.
g-off Wrote:While you are rolling back, you should roll back the atv2 to 4.3
Why is everyone updating their atv2s? Is there any advantage in doing so?

4.4 gives you the ability to adjust/set your television to 50 or 60 hz.
60 hz divided by 23.976 fps = not good
50 hz divided by 23.976 fps = better
Adjust display refresh rate to match video = best, but not an option (hopefully it will be at some point)
davilla Wrote:man dd, cut 50 to 100 MBs from the beginning.

Hi Davilla -- sorry.... What is the name of the editor? Man DD? (totally new to this, sorry for the stupid question.)
Try MPEG Streamclip and use the trim options
Ned Scott Wrote:Try MPEG Streamclip and use the trim options

Hi Ned, I downloaded and installed but this apparently won't work with MKV files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much for your patience!
Sarlic Wrote:Hi Davilla -- sorry.... What is the name of the editor? Man DD? (totally new to this, sorry for the stupid question.)

If your using Linux, you could enter something such as this in terminal:

Code:
dd if=IronMan.mkv of=Test.mkv bs=1024 count=125000

This would give you a 125 Mb clip named "Test.mkv" from IronMan.mkv (as an example).

If you type "man dd" in terminal, it will give you more explanation as to how dd works, and other options you can use.
Hi guys:

So I *just* added a brand new rip of the movie Cinderella Man, extracted from the Blu Ray with DVDFab at 10000 KB/s MKV, 1080p, h264, etc. File is approximately 14 GB. And of course, I got the same type of crash to FrontRow again (I'll post the logs later today just to verify that this is still the memory issue.)

Once again, the same file works on my 2nd ATV that is connected wirelessly, although it buffers.

So I'm really getting frustrated and feel defeated, as I built my entire collection around ATV and XBMC. Obviously I still haven't been able to post a clip of any of these files because I'm not sure which program to use, but I really do think it's a FileSize thing (as my smaller files play without issue.)

Given that this is (again) likely a memory issue, what options do I have? Do I have to re-encode every file at a smaller bit rate to get it to work? I'm lost here and just so disappointed.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated. Sorry I keep re-hashing this, as I feel like I've stumped you guys, but I love the concept of using the ATV and love the software and don't want to give up.

FYI -- I tried streaming the same files using my PS3, and while I don't get any audio -- for whatever reason -- the files do not crash.

I may try a new jailbreak tonight, again, just for fun, and remove all of my special changes (sql, etc) and set up all my shares from scratch again to see if that could help. Recently, I've just been saving my "sources" and "mediasources" and "advancedsettings" XML files so I wouldn't have to re-type everything out in the software, but who knows.

Thanks again for all of your patience and your continued assistance.
Double check that you don't have firecores media player installed beside xbmc (i didn't read the whole thread now - so my apoligize if this was already handled)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I jailbreak and install XBMC via the WIKI instructions (I don't use NitoTV - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How...Apple_TV_2.) Is there any way Firecore would install via that route?
Sarlic Wrote:I jailbreak and install XBMC via the WIKI instructions (I don't use NitoTV - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How...Apple_TV_2.) Is there any way Firecore would install via that route?

WAY off topic and this is xbmc forums not Firecore forums, go ask there.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Nightlies Crashing on 1080p Playback0