[Windows] Question about Passthrough Audio
Hi

For a little while back i bought myself a new receiver for my living room setup.
This is connected to my HTPC via HDMI. HTPC is running Windows 7 SP1. All working great, except one thing that I noticed the other day.

When playing movies with Dolby Digital or DTS audio tracks, I am not able to control the volume on the HTPC. ('Passthrough Audio in use') - This is as expected and was to be considered as a way to know that it is the receiver doing the decoding. Correct?

Now - when playing music tracks (eg. FLAC ) - I was hoping for the same result, that my receiver would take care of the decoding. Anyhow this is the issue, because when playing FLAC files - I am able to control volume from my HTPC remote - within XBMC .. this tells me that XBMC is doing the decoding, am I right?

I have tried to play with audio settings, WASAPI, Direct Sound etc.. no difference or luck yet.

So just asking.. is this by design or just me who missed some configuration options to have Music files also be passed right through to the receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
FLACs are probably being played by the PAPlayer module. You can specify that FLACs be played with the DVDPlayer module by creating a playercorefactory.xml file. FLAC playback will then be just like video playback.

If you want to try this here's a quick guide. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\playercorefactory.xml"

and click OK and Notepad will open. If you get prompted to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="UseDVDPlayer" filename=".*flac" player="DVDPlayer"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Close Notepad and save the changes.

JR
Thanks alot for your suggestion jhsrennie. Will try this later today and revert with results.

Cheers
Tried above suggestions yesterday and I were still able to control volume with my XBMC remote... Anyone have other suggestions? :confused2:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Question about Passthrough Audio0