[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!
Question 
As apart of the revamp for the XBMC Wiki I'm putting a call out to help update our wiki FAQs. We need help compiling what questions are frequently asked. So to all the question askers and the question answerers: this here be a brainstormin' thread!

The following wiki FAQs need to be re-done. Click on an FAQ link to be taken to the discussion for that FAQ:
XBMC general FAQ (applies for all or most platforms)
XBMC for Mac specific FAQ
XBMC for Windows specific FAQ
XBMC for Linux specific FAQ & XBMC Live specific FAQ [THIS THREAD]

List the questions you come across the most or that you think people ask (or things they should ask) when it comes to XBMC for Linux or XBMC Live.

Don't worry about providing answers at this point, but if you want to, or at least link to something that does, feel free to do so. List questions, or just topics, or even just talk about what you think the FAQ should and shouldn't include.

[Once we've got something to start with, then we'll work finalizing what questions to have, and then finally the answers.]
Common one I see for Linux is howto get proper NVIDIA hw acceleration working.

There seems to be a lot of out-dated libvdpau references, etc out there.

An official walk-through on how to dload and install binary drivers from the NVIDIA site would/could stem some of these questions.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
howto get hw acceleration with ATI
How do I upgrade live to bleeding edge and why shouldnt I if I want "a fool proof appliance". (unstable is not stable, upgrade/dist-upgrade impact more than xbmc, "live" functionality such as permission etc vary between dist releases)

How do I get a web browser into live?

Quote:Common one I see for Linux is howto get proper NVIDIA hw acceleration working.
Why do I get a login after booting xbmclive?
Here are some good questions for the wiki:

How to setup remote on ubuntu (11.04 and above)?
-the mostly used remotes (imon, mce remote)

Setup mysql correctly?
-Usersetup (userrights etc. on the server)
-what does xbmc after first start of xmbc with mysql in advancedsettings.
-pathsubstitution of thumbs
Software: XBMC Live Skin: Modded Confluence AppleTV2: XBMC....rocks
KARATELIGHT
-how to fix dropped frames/tearing
-sound over hdmi
-what boot from usb options are there? (live, openelec, etc)
A simple guide how to autostart xbmc. Seems to be either through use of scripts or installing xbmc-live. I'm never sure what's the best way. It seem a bit backwards to have install xbmc-live just to get autostart when you've already installed xbmc-standalone.
The current wiki assumes you have a desktop. Many people just use minimal so these instructions don't directly apply.
Differerent people have different ideas about scripts. Then there's the user 'xbmc' Useful to know you need this at the time of linux install.
I have a suggestion for the page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu_FAQ. The new XBMC shurely is fabulous, but many people complain about too small font sizes. I suggest to add the entry "Can't install because the font size is too small". The solution for the question "Can't install because the install window is too big" works for that as well but people looking for a specific solution to that problem might not look into that.
(2012-04-13, 22:56)Merinkroft Wrote: I have a suggestion for the page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu_FAQ. The new XBMC shurely is fabulous, but many people complain about too small font sizes. I suggest to add the entry "Can't install because the font size is too small". The solution for the question "Can't install because the install window is too big" works for that as well but people looking for a specific solution to that problem might not look into that.

Added, though I'm sure I can format it a bit better. At least for the time being it will be easier to find.
I was doing some bits and pieces all over, this page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ displays two {{cleanup}} headers one at top of page one at middle'ish, theres no sense in having two of them and the middle one I cant find {{cleanup}} though it still displays it, idk how to fix it either. help?

uNi
I only see one.
Never mind I found it it was part of the {{#lst:Supported hardware|Linux}} so I moved it further up a bit. so it displays in this section but not under the lst.

uNi
@ Ned

Slight off topic, but the wiki under AE in particular http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...ed_to_work

I've updated that considerably

The idea is to make that a stop gap fro ppl who dont know or unsure about their hardware capabilities.

It would be great if someone who knows more about the sections with ? could update that info.

Also Audio types list is limited (even though I expanded it already) Again if anyone who knows more audio types that are supported and work on whatever hardware etc could be updated/added

Please ping whoever you feel appropriate that can expand on this.

++

TIA

uNi
Important information, - users of old legacy (pre HD series) Radeon video card should use the "Intel-NVIDIA" iso image. I successfully booted live mode of xbmcbuntu 12.2 on an iMac with Radeon X1600. The "Intel-AMD" image produced just a blank black screen. However, - at the end I wasn't able to log-in because the password (which I never have changed) was always "incorrect". Probably that issue only affect the live mode, and is not present when installing xbmcbuntu directly to the hard disk.
I find that the FAQ pages using sequences of

Code:
{| width="100%"
{{FAQ|1=XBMC|2=What_is_it
| BGcolor=WhiteSmoke
| Question=What is XBMCbuntu?
| Answer=
{{#lst:XBMCbuntu|intro}}
}}

Are slightly complicated to update the individual portions, because you need to edit a full page to get to edit a particular portion, since there's no EDIT link on these. which is tradiniollay created when doing

Code:
== This section ==

Would it be possible add that EDIT function to this template?

I suppose the workaround is to create a ==section== and then have groups of these under but it would be ideal if that wasnt necessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!0