New TV breaks video acceleration for XBMC only, help!
I think this all started with a new TV this summer. XBMC video playback went to pot, looking like a slide show. I have tried rebuilding two different boxes with different versions of Mythbuntu. Last time I took good notes and tested things along the way. It definitely changes with the TV.

Latest attempt:
  • Install Mythbuntu 10.04 (have tested other releases up to 11.10 with similar issues) and got MythTV frontend playback working fine.
  • Install XBMC Dharma.
  • Added mythtv source using the myth protocol.
  • Added video source that holds all my DVD ripped video_ts folders.
  • Tested everything: SD recorded content, 720p recorded content, 1080i recorded content and DVD ripped folders. All playback beautifully.
  • Moved PC from lab with 1440x900 monitor to living room with newer 1080p HDTV.
  • All video playback in XBMC looks supper slow, like VDPAU is suddenly disabled and CPU is doing something else. MythTV frontend playback looks accelerated still. Only change is this move of the display. Tried to go into nvidia settings and force to 1280x720 resolution on idea that maybe video card having trouble going up to that resolution, but no help.

I have tried this with two different PCs that have different CPUs, both have nvidia 8400 video cards, and different version of mythbuntu on each. Both work great connected to other monitors until I connect to this one. It really feels to me that something in the X auto resolution handling is doing something to me here. But what really confuses me is that MythTV frontend still works great, VLC works. I really like XBMC better for a bunch of reasons. Can anyone give me some advice at troubleshooting?
Please turn on debug logging in XBMC and post a debug log on pastebin.
Gonna take a Silly Wild A55ed guess that this MIGHT be a grounding issue. Connect ALLL devices to the same strip and ensure that none have reversed polarity or grounds defeated.

Also just might be the upscaling is taking the resources to the limit? You do not mention the video connection to the TV but if it is VGA try setting to a lower resolution. In the case of XBMC on Mac some people have reported issues at certain resolutions and certain hardware combinations. Are you using the same kind of video input on both monitors?
OK, so I finnally had a little time again to look at this. I turned on debug in the GUI and started a movie. I let it go for a couple of minutes of looking like a slide show before exiting out and grabbing the log.

http://pastebin.com/dnxTpgH9

I don't see anything in here that jumps out at me as any kind of error with VDPAU, but then I am not familiar with xbmc.log at all, having never looked at it.

As a reminder, MythTV and VLC can both play back the video just fine. XBMC is the only one I am having trouble with. And it worked in XBMC before moving to my living room 1080p TV. I even tried changing the resolution in both Ubuntu and XBMC settings to 720p resolution, with no luck.

Anyone with some helpful tips?

Thanks for the help so far.
I just saw this post as a tip. I guess it is possible something in this all caused me to lose libvdpau1, so I will try an "apt-get install libvdpau1 " and see what that yields.

Any other suggestions out there? Has anyone looked at my log and spotted anything helpful?

Short of that, am I taking the right path? I am looking to use XBMC as a nice frontend for MythTV recordings and DVD rips. Should I start looking into upgrading the Myth backend and moving towards Eden (I didn't think that was ready for prime time yet and Myth doesn't easily roll backwards.)

Thanks for anyone that has taken a little time to read about my problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New TV breaks video acceleration for XBMC only, help!0