AMD E-350 1080p Playback Issues
I have a Asus 1215b with the E-350 Fusion processor. I am using the PVR ppa on Ubuntu 11.10 to get vaapi playback. Though acceleration works, when I try to play 1080p clips the picture is off center, blocky and totally distorted. 720p doesn't have this issue. However, when playing back any video if I activate any type of menu I get tearing in the video behind the menus.

I tried the OpenELEC Fusion build on this system and don't have any of these issues. 1080p was smooth and there was no tearing. I was amazed. So my question then is, how do I get these results in my Ubuntu setup? Is there a different build I should use or a setting I am missing that will clear up my 1080p playback issues?

My system is Ubuntu 11.10 with the latest FGLRX 11.10 driver and xvba 0.80 from the Splitted Desktops website.

Thank you for any help you guys can offer.
What is the output of:
vainfo

Please pastebin a full xbmc.log with debug option enabled. Make sure to have vaapi enable in the settings.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Vainfo doesn't give any errors. It reports it's looking for xvba and then posts the supported profiles. I have vaapi enabled and it plays fine with the 720p files I have.

I was playing around with a few things after reading more and booted into the Unity 2d environment that isn't composited. My 1080p files played back fine under this environment, though there was still some video tearing when I pulled up the menus.

My 1080p video is 24 frames per second and I read that there are some issues with XBMC and vaapi with switching frame rates. However, on my other AMD machine I don't get these issues with the same software setup and a Radeon 4870.

http://pastebin.com/AQDNgBeX - for XBMC.log
With Fernetmetta patches, playback is better (like openelec)...
I meant a xbmc.log.

This is found in the home directory of the user running xbmc: ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
Please supply the full log, with debuggin enabled.

Open xbmc, enable debugging, enable vaapi, play a movie, close xbmc.
You can get the tearing improved by enabling fglrx tearfree option in catalyst control center.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Tear Free is enabled. I still get the tearing when XBMC menus are activated over playing video under my Ubuntu setup.

Here is the full log with debugging enabled.

http://pastebin.com/jjn3cVsA

@Robotica

Do you know if there are any ppa's out there for Ubuntu 11.10 that have those patches?
This looks pretty normal :-)

Concerning the patches Robotica mentioned, you have to compile from source, i don`t know of a version hat already includedes them.
Thanks for your help and for taking a look at the log, fritsch. It seems like it is a refresh rate issue that the patches fix. I just find it weird that it only affects my Fusion hardware and not my Radeon 4870 setup, unless there is something still missing from the FGLRX driver for the E-350.

I'm going to look around Google and see if I find any ppa's with the patches mixed in already. If not I might be adventurous and try to compile it myself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD E-350 1080p Playback Issues0