[LIVE] Is there anyway to force HDMI handshake?
My problem is an unusual one. I have an XBMC Live box running Dharma 10.1, and I get my audio/video via HDMI from my HTPC (Core2Duo 3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3) to my AV receiver (SONY STR-DH520), which is then hooked up to my Samsung 62" DLP TV.

Whenever I start the HTPC from scratch, everything works fine. No hiccup, audio and video works beautifully. But, if I leave the HDMI box on and turn the AV receiver off (or send it to standby) when it comes back up, I get video from the HDMI, but no audio. Even when movies, music or TV shows play, I get video, but no audio (complete silence).

My video card is an ATI 5450, and since I'm getting output via HDMI I thought that it was a configuration problem. But I did some troubleshooting.

a) If I hookup my HDMI directly to the TV set from the XBMC box, the TV plays audio/video no problem (even if the TV is turned off and back on, no problem, the audio will play).

b). If I hookup my HDMI from the XBMC box to the AV receiver and I turn the AV receiver off and on, then I get no audio. I found that if I unhook the HDMI cable and then hook it back up, immediately I get sound again.

It is almost as if, whenever a new HDMI cable is introduced, the XBMC box sends out some sort of handshake signal to the AV receiver, but if the AV receiver is turned off and then back on, the XBMC box no longer sends that handshake signal, and therefore the AV receiver thinks that no audio is coming through.

Does anyone else have this problem? Might there be a way to induce the handshake signal from the XBMC box whenever a movie/audio is played?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The following works for me:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1"
Option "UseHotplugEvents" "false"
Option "UseEDID" "true"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/epson.edid.bin;DFP-1:/etc/X11/onkyo.edid.bin"
Won't work for ATI - only way to solve that is drm_kms_helper and a very recent kernel (4.0+).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Wow threadophilia lives!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-20, 02:00)nickr Wrote: Wow threadophilia lives!

Too much alcohol lately?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Is there anyway to force HDMI handshake?0