• 7(current)
[Mini-ITX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D
Well, a couple updates. First, pictures of the assembled beasty. Note how much space is available above the APU.

Also, how ridiculously long the PSU wires are. WTF? For a case this small, it's just ridiculous. The cables just make an already bad air-flow situation worse:

The 120mm fan on the side helped marginally, but not enough. Even though it pushed a fair amount of air through the case, the CPU heatsink fan just couldn't get enough air to do it's job. I suspect the real problem was that the PSU's intake fan - directly above the CPU heatsink intake fan - was contributing to starving the CPU fan. Of course, I could have flipped the PSU over, but then it's intake would be pressed against the top of the case, and I've seen PSU failure cause really horrendous damage to PC components.

So, I pulled the PSU out of the case entirely, something that was distressingly easy given the cable length, and stuffed it behind my TV.

With the PSU out of the box entirely, and just (nicely wrapped!) wires leading in, I was able to not only restore speeds to stock but actually overclock the A6-3500 to 2.4ghz (on all 3 cores, all the time), the GPU clock to 550mhz and the ram to 1600mhz - with temps under load never topping 38c.

So, given that, can someone recommend a decent picoPSU that'll run this beast? My concern with most is that I have 3 SATA drives (1.5 and 2tb HDD's and an optical drive) that need power too. A 120w PSU would work, but none I've found have SATA power connectors at all Sad
http://www.short-circuit.com/combo/picop...-acdc.html
(2012-04-29, 21:35)Wintersdark Wrote: Working on this build, but I'm having severe heat issue. Even underclocking and dropping the CPU voltage (1800mhz,1.325v) the CPU heats up then thermal throttling kicks in. I'm using the stock cooler with the suggested 120mm fan in the second hdd bay blowing in the side.

I'm going to experiment with pulling out the power supple and running it outside the case entirely for a while to see if he problem is caused by how the power supply basically blocks off half the CPU cooler's fan.

Or how the power supply's absurdly long cables block off the tiny bit of space that remains above it.

It seems to me that it's just a very poor case design for this application, unless other MB's position the CPU differently?

Does anyone have this particular build up and running? Specifically with this case and CPU? Did you have similar issues?

I have the same CPU, but not the same case (got a Wesena ITX7) and a picoPSU. Temps are low with a single 80mm case fan and the stock CPU fan. Both fans runs around 900 to 1000RPM. Temps are about 45 for 1080p media playback. It rises to 50-52C when I navigat heavily in XBMC gui.

edit - Bought my picoPSU at perfecthometheater : http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/W...es_c35.htm
Yup, the CPU is definitely awesome and perfect for this role, but the case is very problematic.

I've run my little beasty pushing 1080p all day and night, and it never pushed past 40c with the power supply out of the box, even with it being substantially overclocked. The CPU fan is at 4/Automatic in the BIOS, but never needs to speed up from there - which is good, as the stock cooler sounds like a jet engine when it spins right up, a terrible sound I heard very frequently with the PSU in the box.

I'm absolutely moving over to a picoPSU for this build, as while it works great with the PSU out of the box, it looks rather silly.

So, I'd recommend to others: While this case does look pretty decent, it's not that good a choice unless you intend to rip out the PSU and run with a picoPSU instead.

That Wesena case is *sexy*, btw.

hehehe yep. The wife wanted a nice case Smile

Good to see that you solved your problem by removing the PSU. I can tell that I don't hear at all my HTPC, which is was I was aiming for! :-)
I have already built one of these builds and I am completely in love with it. Thank you so much eskro! Now I am looking to build a second for another room but would like to go with a smaller case. I like the look of the FC8 case alot, will this build be okay in that? I do not need a optical drive at all so wondering if I can even go smaller. Looked around and looked at alot of cases and builds but just looking for suggestions on this exact build.

Thanks in advance!
Small mini-ITX case? this is what I've ordered for my second build:

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-ISK110-VESA-...B0064LWISQ
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I'm planning to build this setup:
[CPU+iGPU] AMD A6-3500 3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz HD6530D FM1 65W ($90 + $0)
[MOBO] ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 CIR USB3.0 SATAIII UEFI mITX
[CASE] Silverstone Grandia GD04B

Just two important questions:
1: I'm running Amblone/Boblightd together with 1080p movies, my current PC sometimes struggles to play this (so i have to disable my ambilight). Will this be any problem with this setup?
2: I still have a Corsair HX520 left. Should i use this PSU, or should i buy another ATX PSU or a PicoPSU? (With eye on saving on my powerbill).
(2012-05-10, 20:39)arvoitus Wrote: I'm planning to build this setup:
[CPU+iGPU] AMD A6-3500 3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz HD6530D FM1 65W ($90 + $0)
[MOBO] ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 CIR USB3.0 SATAIII UEFI mITX
[CASE] Silverstone Grandia GD04B

Just two important questions:
1: I'm running Amblone/Boblightd together with 1080p movies, my current PC sometimes struggles to play this (so i have to disable my ambilight). Will this be any problem with this setup?
2: I still have a Corsair HX520 left. Should i use this PSU, or should i buy another ATX PSU or a PicoPSU? (With eye on saving on my powerbill).
It seems that you are interesting in doing multi-task with it. You might want to consider a more powerful "AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6550D" instead.....

If you want a silent HTPC, you can install this "picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit" PSU and this "Scythe SCBSK-2100 120mm Sleeve BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B" CPU cooler

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Honestly, I've found the A6-3500 to be more than capable of acting as a full PC. However, to get the most out of it, you've pretty much got to overclock it.

It's trivially easy in the UEFI setup, though - the A6-3500 has a ton of overclocking headroom without running noticably hotter/louder. Mine, which still has the stock heatsink, is set to run all three cores at 2.6ghz all the time (turbo disabled, it's pointless when the base clock is higher), and still never increases the fan speed from the current 4 (0-9 scale in bios). Also brought the GPU clock up to 550mhz. Both of these were not upper limits - I haven't tried more, but I found Netflix streaming in HD to be a little bit choppy until I raised the GPU clock to 500. Once I replace the CPU cooler with something that can push more air without sounding like a jet engine, I'll see what it can do.

But regardless, the A6 3500 is a surprisingly robust, capable chip. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for a full desktop PC used for light (read: non-gaming) tasks. That said, if noise/heat/power is not a concern, then the 4 core/100w chip is such a small price increase you may as well. This is the best chip in the 65w range, however.

As to PSU's, the PSU wattage isn't going to affect your power usage at the wall. That's determined by two things: The power your PC draws, and the efficiency of the power supply. Shitty no-name PSU's are typically around 70-80% efficient, better ATX PSU's are generally 80-90, and the picoPSU bluray mentioned is well over 90%.

I'd go with the pico, personally. They aren't much more expensive than normal power supplies, they keep all the PSU heat out of your HTPC case (having a laptop style power brick) and leave space open to increase airflow, and offer increased savings with less energy use via efficiency.
Wintersdark, how can we easily OC the A6-3500. Any tutorial for it somewhere? I never did that, but if I can increase the stock speed without adding more heat, I'd be more than happy! Thanks.
I've been having a persistent problem with my nyxboard remote with this build. It works 90% of the time to suspend and wake from suspend. But every two days or so I need to press the button on the box to wake it, then unplug and replug the dongle to regain functionality. I have two of these boxes now - same exact setup - and have the issue with both. Is this a limitation in the dongle itself? Because I have the remote programmed with the TVs, too, and it works fine.

Anyone else having this problem or know of any ideas for fixing it?

FYI I have disabled sleep, hibernation and hybrid in the computer itself. I have the sleep timer in XBMC set to 10 minutes. I'm experimenting now with only putting it in standby with the remote to see if it happens only in one situation vs the other (me putting it to sleep vs putting itself to sleep).

Thanks.
(2012-05-11, 16:09)Balinus Wrote: Wintersdark, how can we easily OC the A6-3500. Any tutorial for it somewhere? I never did that, but if I can increase the stock speed without adding more heat, I'd be more than happy! Thanks.

With the motherboard recommended on this entry, you go into the BIOS - rather, UEFI - on boot (press delete when booting) you can adjust the processor multiplier freely. Should be under the... advanced tab? I can't look right now, as the wife's enjoying a Masterchef marathon at the moment, but it's really easy to find. I disabled Turbo and raised the base clock multiplier up to bring the processor up to (now) 2.5ghz. I've still not tried faster (I'm not shooting for an overclock record) and I've not found a need to get the CPU portion going faster.

More important, on the same page as the processor clock is the GPU clock. I found a very obviously noticeable improvement in 1080p Netflix streaming by pushing the GPU clock up to 550mhz. Before the overclock, there was a fair bit of some stutter(looked like playing a video game with the settings a bit to high - low fps), none after. The system handled other 1080p playback just fine, but netflix's Silverlight client is terrible.

I'm sure you could go much higher - my temps are still negligible, with my CPU fan never spinning up at all @2500mhz/550mhz.

Note, though, I'm running a picoPSU now, having removed the MI-008 case's built in power supply due to horrendous heat issues. If you've got the power supply in there, you may have some trouble with heat.
Thanks Wintesdark! I do have the Asrock MB with a picoPSU.

I'll look into these settings and see how it affects my temps. Tks again.
I recently completed this build and I'm having a lot of buffering issues. Any ideas?

A6-3500
ASRock FM1/A75 mobo
Samsung Blu-Ray
Kingston HyperX (2X2) Ram (I was only able to fit 1 stick around the cooler)
Scyth Kozuti SCKZT-1000 Cooler
Patriot 32 GB Sata SSD

3tb WD Mybook live
Medialink Wireless adapter 150mbps

I'm assuming my issue is the 2GB of RAM but wanted to check here first. Should I be able to fit 2 sticks around the Scyth cooler?

I also thought the wireless adapter (150 mbps) may be a bit on the slow side?? Thanks in advance!
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mini-ITX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D3