[WINDOWS] - auto deinterlacing of DVD iso's?
hi folks,

couldn't seem to find any easy way to make this work.

I've ripped a bunch of DVD's to iso and dumped onto my NAS.

when i play these, i still get the interlacing / video tearing effect. If i play the DVD, no interlacing issues.

Do i need to encode all of the dvd's just to fix the interlacing? i could have sworn i saw a de-interlace setting somewhere Smile

-Boris
BorisTheMidget Wrote:hi folks,

couldn't seem to find any easy way to make this work.

I've ripped a bunch of DVD's to iso and dumped onto my NAS.

when i play these, i still get the interlacing / video tearing effect. If i play the DVD, no interlacing issues.

Do i need to encode all of the dvd's just to fix the interlacing? i could have sworn i saw a de-interlace setting somewhere Smile

-Boris

Ahh the sad world of interlaced DVD's. I feel your pain. Smile

You can find the de-interlace option on the video settings menu, while your playing the movie. I can't find it in the normal menus outside of playback, but if you bring up the video settings menu while your playing back your movie, it's listed there.

Hope this helps.
ahh yes, i found it... thanks and the old "set as default for all movies" setting Smile

not sure if you've played with it much, but the quality is noticeably better that without it, but i still get a bit of interlacing still, do you?

damned pal dvd's!!
BorisTheMidget Wrote:ahh yes, i found it... thanks and the old "set as default for all movies" setting Smile

not sure if you've played with it much, but the quality is noticeably better that without it, but i still get a bit of interlacing still, do you?

damned pal dvd's!!

Yes, i think it has to do with 3:2 pulldown. That tick used to match refresh rates of TV's by adding extra frames. I've just been encoding all my content with HandBrake and it's decombing filter. I like not having all the DVD menus and junk to fight through, and everything looks nicer. Granted you also lose all the extra content... but i normally only care about the movie to begin with. Smile
Had this same issue. My content was NTSC but nonetheless I think this applies. In my case, it is a film source using 3:2 pulldown to produce an image at 29.97 fps. MediaInfo showed it as interlaced but that wasn't the case, it was telecine. I wound up having to encode all of my files to fix it. MAJOR pain in the a$$. I used Xvid4Psp to do it, but handbrake will work fine too. Just remember that you aren't deinterlacing. You need to IVTC (inverse telecine). I use the TIVTC filter and change the framerate to 23.976 fps. This resulted in progressive film which is what you are looking for. Looks great but it takes a fair amount of time to do. (Even on my i7).

On that note, If anyone knows an easier way to fix this and not introduce issues with forced subtitles, I'd love to hear some ideas, I only have several hundred left to convert. >.<
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Just a note on that... HandBrake does say de-telecine is a VERY bad idea for PAL content, and i can attest to that fact. Don't do it. No

I have used the de-telecine filter on NTSC and it is a real nice improvement, especially if you have a TV that can change refresh rates to match the video. You are also right that it will add time to the encode... lots... Nod

...Also...

This is one reason i like HandBrakes decomb filter. It doesn't really deinterlace, because that causes a loss in quality. This filter combines only the areas that are combed. Have a look at HandBrakes page on it here, it shows images of deinterlaced vs decombed. So if there is no interlacing detected, it does nothing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] - auto deinterlacing of DVD iso's?0