XBMC Digitial Audio Issue
I installed XBMC on Ubuntu 11.10 and I can get the menu sounds working with S/PDIF output, but none of my movies with DTS and ACS 5.1 tracks work. I found this article from the XBMC site on the issue: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._digital_audio

However, im a little confused as I can't find that file, but it says to create a new one if its not there. When I Googled, where that file is suppose to be located, it found that Ubuntu 11.10 and the new version of PulseAudio doesnt contain those files anymore.

Anyone get XBMC running on Ubuntu 11.10 or have any idea how to get Digital Passthrough working on it?

I also found this article: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83614 but that confuses me a little because its my understanding that PulseAudio is built tightly into Ubuntu and cant be removed.
First, you need to fix your link to the wiki. It's a truncated url that doesn't work. Second, if you read the second link you posted, you'll see that it advises you to remove PulseAudio completely and go with ALSA. I haven't tried passthrough with 11.10, as my HTPC is a minimal i.e. non-gui install of Maverick, but unless something drastic has changed, you should be able to follow your second link and get everything up and running with ALSA.
I got it to work by following that guide. I didn't install esound though as that put all the pulseaudio stuff back.

Now I just need to get menu sounds working and I'll be happy.
For menu sounds (and also normal analogue sounds like mame if you use it) you need to pass through the analogue audio to the S/PDIF. Have a search in the forums as there's a few posts that describe what needs to be done. For me it was the asound file that did it.

Good luck
I was under the impression this was fixed in one of the latest pulseaudio builds.
Ubuntu package
pulseaudio ticket

Haven't tried it yet though (switched to windows for the time being), but I was definitely waiting for that fix...
You don't have to pass the audio off to S/PDIF for navigation sounds. HDMI can work for everything, but you will probably need a custom .asoundrc file in XBMC's home directory.
I should have mentioned that I only use S/PDIF for all audio and not HDMI. So yes, as pumkinut says.. HDMI can work for everything too.

Sorry for the confusion caused.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Digitial Audio Issue0