XBMC connecting to NAS on different network
I would like to use XBMC to connect to my NAS which contains .avi and .mkv files. The catch is I would like the htpc running XBMC to be on a different network. Please let me know what the best way to do this would be. Use some sort of VPN and map a drive to the NAS?

It works fine locally but I would like to give my parents access to my server.

Thanks in advance!
Can be done but you will have to setup with external dns service there are free ones.

Once you set up the pointing service you can set up shares on your parents machine. I will tell you that there will be a lag when they start up and if your server is not online their xbmc box will be useless.
Thank you very much... I am going to try to get this going with a couple cisco firewalls and a vpn connector. My NAS is always running so that is not a concern.
Also depends on if you're going over the internet (you'd need a good upload speed on your side) or if you have two separate LANs in one location ie. one in the mansion & one in the poolhouse Wink.
Well I picked up 2 Cisco Pix 515 firewalls and a 3005 VPN Concentrator off of craigslist for $120... Will set it up and see if there is enough bandwidth.... I don't need XBMC in the poolhouse yet so we should be good there Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC connecting to NAS on different network0