Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System
(2012-11-20, 17:56)IsleOfMan Wrote: IMHO, any $50 Craigslist DD/DTS capable AVR along with Monoprice 6.5" speakers and 12" subwoofer, are going to sound far superior to ANY of these mini systems even with DTS-HD and TrueHD decoding... and for $50 less.
The Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System is designed for a small room "den, bedroom, library, etc", and it cannot be compared to a bigger system......I wouldn't want my HSU VTF-2 MK4 subwoofer and a powerful AVR in a small room either.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
With a system frequency response of 70 Hz, just an AVR and the Monoprice 6.5" or 8" Speakers would be enough to sound better than this for anyone not so hung up on the aesthetics... and probably for under $100. That said, I don't have a problem in regards to this little lifestyle system... as you said, they do have their place when size and aesthetics are a big part of the value proposition.

I DO carry a pretty big chip on my shoulder when it comes to the belief that TrueHD/DTS-HD MA would offer any perceivable difference in sound quality when compared to DD/DTS on equally mixed tracks played back on home theater equipment costing less than $5000, much less $500, $230, or $100. If someone is buying or upgrading their equipment and spending enough to get something that had TrueHD/DTS-HD MA then there's no reason to avoid those formats or not enjoy them. But when people upgrade or spend more money JUST to get those codecs, especially when putting that money towards some other aspect of their equipment that will have a much larger impact on sound quality (usually speakers or room treatments), it bothers me to a certain degree. These new codecs have been pushed on us for years as a magic bullet but so few folks consider where they lie in the stream from disc/file to ear and how little impact they have compared to other factors.

This next comment may sound snobby or elitist, but it's actually the complete opposite and pure pragmatism... until you've spent $5k or more on your AVR, Speakers, Subwoofer, and room treatments (something most people ignore completely)... or hell, until you've actually considered the acoustics of your room and treated AT LEAST the first reflection points... DO NOT spend a single dime on equipment upgrades JUST to get True HD and/or DTS-HD MA... not on your HTPC, not on your AVR, not on your disc transport. Don't even spend more on equipment that has those features if there is a lower-priced alternative that doesn't. I'm not saying don't buy TrueHD/DTS-HD MA capable equipment... just don't even consider spending ANY money JUST to get support for those codecs. You're just not going to hear the difference on equally mixed tracks. Let your HTPC or BD player decode/re-encode and move along knowing that the money spent on support for those codecs would more than likely make a MUCH bigger impact somewhere else in your setup. When talking about an HTiB or living-room lifestyle system, I honestly can't believe TrueHD/DTS-HD MA are even a consideration in the equation...

And who has a Library? Smile
(2012-11-21, 17:49)IsleOfMan Wrote: I DO carry a pretty big chip on my shoulder when it comes to the belief that TrueHD/DTS-HD MA would offer any perceivable difference in sound quality when compared to DD/DTS on equally mixed tracks played back on home theater equipment costing less than $5000, much less $500, $230, or $100.
There is no reason to debate this theory everywhere. If you are happy with DD/DTS, you can stick to it. I mentioned to you in "post #7" at another thread.....the latest software and hardware supports HD audio, and we want to use it to fully utilize its options.....

(2012-11-21, 17:49)IsleOfMan Wrote: And who has a Library? Smile
A lot of homes have it. It's a nice little nitch for my five kids to study.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System0