Cannot Play DVDs
Star 
Just to add that I'm running pre-eden 11 compiled Nov 27 and tested a DVD without issues.
PatK Wrote:Just to add that I'm running pre-eden 11 compiled Nov 27 and tested a DVD without issues.

Can you restart your system and try running it in portable mode? If it works then I'll try wiping everything and starting over. Thanks.
I did a full installation of XBMC XBMCSetup-20111203-0a31dbe-master and I am able to play unencrypted dvds, but still cannot play commercial dvds. I can play all the dvds I tried with 10.1, but for some reason the latest nightly of pre-eden cannot. Any ideas?

I still find it weird that running the same nightly on 2 different systems yeilds the same results. Others have reported being able to play dvds no problem. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm at a loss for how to proceed.
So just an update. I installed 20111204 on to a flash drive and ran it in portable mode. On my main system and my laptop I ran into the same issues I mentioned above. I then took it to work and tried it there and it was able to play the dvd perfectly. So it seems like it's an issue with my setup at home.

The only thing I can think is that I used the same disc to install Windows7 on both devices. Other than that they are completely different with different software installed.

So I have 2 questions:

First, what changed between 10.1 and 11.0 that my system will not play encrypted dvds anymore?

Second, any ideas on how I can resolve this issue? Do I need to start over and wipe my system and reinstall windows? Could it have something to do with the versions of drivers installed? I'm at a loss at this point.

EDIT: Also, both my main system and laptop have Windows Media Center configured. It is what I used to use before XBMC, I don't use it anymore but it's still there. Could that have something do to with it since it's not something that's on my work computer which works?
Here. I´ve the same issue.

I´ve tried to update since 12.04 without success.
I also have what could be the same issue playing commericial DVDs. I can supply the following info:
- I'm running XBMC on Windows 7
- No problem playing DVDs when I was using standard build of XBMC 10.1
- Problem started after I switched to XBMC nightly build (to try out new weather support)
- It attempts to start DVD playback then immediately stops
- I also have VLC Media Player installed (most recent 1.1.11)
- So if I play the DVD with VLC Media Player it works
- Then, if I quit VLC and retry XBMC, now XBMC works with that DVD
- XBMC continues to work -- until I switch to a different DVD
- Now the new DVD does not play. The process repeats...

VLC also uses libdvdcss. Maybe some odd interaction or something half-done with the XBMC libdvdcss?
Mine won't play either, I can insert the dvd but when I navigate to the dvd menu it causes a system crash... bsod in winxp and system reset in win7....
Hello, everyone!

Me and my brother have exactly the same problem ... Even the XBMC version 11 beta 1 has the problem ...

I reused "fildariane" post and modified it Wink

- I'm running XBMC on Windows 7 64 bits.
- No problem playing DVDs when I was using standard build of XBMC 10.1.
- Problem started after I switched to XBMC nightly builds from the end of September and after. In early September, the nightly builds worked.
- It attempts to start DVD playback then immediately stops.
- I also have K-Lite Mega Codecs Pack installed.
- So if I play the DVD with Media Player Classic it works.
- Then, if I quit Media Player Classic and retry XBMC, now XBMC works with that DVD.
- XBMC continues to work -- until I switch to a different DVD.
- Now the new DVD does not play. The process repeats ...

It's very annoying ...

Where can we found the old nightly builds from early September ?

Thanks !

[Sorry for my broken english ^^]
The good news is that I can repro the problem and know why it's happening. The bad news is that a proper fix is not obvious.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank you CrystalP for posting a status update!
Hi,

same Problem here. Playing DVD doesn't work on HTPC (win7 x64). Is this a general Problem with Windows? 10.1 worked, but after reinstalling 10.1, DVD is broken there also.

If someone needs some Debug-Logs, please notify.
CrystalP Wrote:The good news is that I can repro the problem and know why it's happening. The bad news is that a proper fix is not obvious.

Is it the same problem on Linux? My DVD does not work either.
Do you have an Idea for a workaround?
The workaround is in trunk but unless you're able to compile from there its no solution for you. Linux still needs feedback as it was only tested on win32 AFAIK.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
If this is the relevant commit, I'll give it a try.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/3ec3...8616a85ec5
Yes please do and on failure please a comment with debug log. This commit should fix the usage of libdvdcss. If you see a vis instead of the dvd another previous commit is needed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot Play DVDs0