Just installed XBMC Live and need a bit of advice
Hi all
I have just done my first install of XBMC live, (I am new to XBMC by the way.)

I have XBMC live booting from my HDD, and the installation is complete, however there are two areas i need to address, these are the network card and video card.
When the installation was taking place i got a message saying ti could not find my network adapter, and I have drivers for this and also have the drivers for my Nvidia video card.
I have both the drivers on a USB drive, is there a way to simply browse to this and update the drivers?

Kind regards
Gra
This seems to sometimes be the case even when Live ships with the correct drivers. This is from a guide which I used to install on my particular HW (Shuttle XS35GT):

Quote:It’s odd that during installation, the installer fails to detect the wired network correctly, but it’s easy to fix as the required driver is already among the installed files.

Once the system has rebooted and you see the final XBMC screen, hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to enter a full screen session where you will be able to login.

Once you see the login prompt, enter the username and password that you created during the installation process. For example, let’s assume the user is called ‘media’.

Now do the following:

$ cd /lib/modules/2.6.32-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
$ sudo modprobe jme

Now that the driver is installed, you need to configure your network. For simplicity, I will assume your router contains a DHCP server to provide IP addresses to requesting connected network devices, such as your media center.

$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
# add these 2 lines:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Now save the file and quit editing the file.

At the command line again, type:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

You should now have wired ethernet networking operational. Type the following to see your IP address:
$ sudo ifconfig -a

Under the ‘eth0′ section, look for the ‘inet addr:’ subsection and you should see a valid IP address there…

Well worth trying since it's just a few very simple steps.

If you're very observant, you may notice that the guide is for a 10.0 install, but I did indeed have to do it also when installing 10.1 (although many of the other issues mentioned there had been fixed in 10.1).

Nvidia? No clue. I'm a first timer myself and since it worked out of the box I had no reason to learn anything about it.

Edit: It is often of good value to specify your particular hardware, since it might help others help you.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
hi
cheers for the reply, the first command does not work, i get message saying no such file or diretory, can i not just install the driver from a USB?

The PC I am using is an HP Compaq 8200 Elite
http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalog...tAod909CnA

Reading the spec It looks like its not an nvidia graphics either lol
i have just done a re-install and XBMC live just cannot find my netowrk adapter and I need to sort my graphics as its painfully slow to move the mouse or play anything, does anyone have any ideas at all? I have searched and have not found anything really
fraher Wrote:cheers for the reply, the first command does not work, i get message saying no such file or diretory, can i not just install the driver from a USB?

Reading the spec It looks like its not an nvidia graphics either lol

As said, I'm a newbie too, but the "2.6.32-26-generic" part may be a version number, which in turn may have changed from when the guide was written. Do you know enough commands to at least do some "cd" and "dir" looking around? Come to think about it, it's as simple as tapping in:

$ cd /lib/modules/
$ dir

And there should be a directory which looks similar to "2.6.32-26". Change what's written in the guide accordingly and see what happens.

With the risk of being very over obvious: the $ should not be tapped in, it's a (so to say) write-your-command-after-me-sign.

(and some day some linux diehard pro is going to crack and yell "you moron" all over the forums due to me writing things like "write-your-command-after-me-sign" Big Grin)
Update:

I just moved to the computer with Putty and had a look on my own install. I was correct in my hunch, and must have obviously figured that out myself once when I did my install two months ago (not that I can remember so...).

So, change to:
$ cd /lib/modules/2.6.32-29-generic/kernel/drivers/net/

And you should at least not get any 'no such file' error, but whether it's a solution I still can't tell.

Right, and do get Putty, it's great if your HTPC is not located where it's comfy to sit down and for command line newbies it offers a copy paste functionality (where past = mouse right click in Putty screen) so that you can just copy things from your browser directly into the command interface.
cheers for the reply mate, i am also checking the ubuntu manuals as I just learning the code lol, but my networking device is just not being recognised, when i did a networking restart (after entering all the other code) i do get an error ETH0 errors, failed to bring up eth0, Ubunto do support my network adapter in their latest release as I have checked. maybe mine if fubar'd lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just installed XBMC Live and need a bit of advice0