XBMC is also a very good live TV video processor
Linux with VDPAU (feature set C.) and a live tv signal (576i or 1080i provided by tvheadend) and Temporal/Spatial deinterlacing algorithm has nothing to fear from a video processor device dedicated to process tv signals (even if expensive).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I know what all those words mean, I just can't make sense of them used together.
sorry for this, I'm not native english.
1. Buy a dvb-t or dvb-s card
2. Setup XBMC linux + tvheadend http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HTS_Tvheadend
3. Enjoy live TV with a deinterlacer capable of support a motion detection/compensation algorithm (Temporal/Spatial nvidia name).

This on linux with nvidia vdpau. I hope I was clear this time Wink
Sorry I could not resist putting in my 2cents worth.

VDPAU has patchy support for inverse telecine detection of 2:2 pulldown video at high definition. This means one is watching HD TV, a film is on (great!), it's transmitted encoded as field pairs. The deinterlacer happily deinterlaces what is already a progressive picture causing line/detail twittering, or worse still jumps in and out of deinterlacing causing twittering to appear and disappear again regularly.

I don't get it. I see HQ Video tests on the net for nVidia cards that pass 2:2 pulldown detection tests yet with inverse telecine enabled in applications (Xine, Mplayer, XBMC) using VDPAU, the same model card exhibits twittering.

I have posted this issue on the nVidia forums over a year ago.

Recently here in the UK I was pleased to hear that the BBC have started to flag progressive HD video so 2:2 pulldown detection will not be necessary for BBC HD channels at least!

Stu-e
Thank you for share your experience.
In my case I've selected Auto Detect in xbmc option and I never had issues: interlaced video are deinterlaced with spatial/temporal algorithm and progressive video are untouched. I hope your issues will be solved as soon as possible. In italy TV channels are all 576i or 1080i (at least channels that I watch).
Yes that's fine so long as the broadcaster flags progressive material, then XBMC will disable deinterlace (if set to auto). I believe this is what the BBC HD channels in the UK are now doing. But others don't and you then HAVE to rely on inverse telecine to guess for you. Or you can do it manually with your remote control (very tiresome).

It's only less than perfect.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC is also a very good live TV video processor0